Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Memphis Beale  (Read 8860 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Memphis Beale
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2022, 11:57:23 AM »

Re Smoke.  I used to do ribs & shoulders @ 220º - 250º as the fan on/off cycle was more pronounced as long as the ambient temperature didn't drop too much. Lower ambients caused the fans to run more
 or continuously.

To get the fan lulls that I believed to be smoke producing, I would have to drop the set temperature in cooler weather.  There were never any times the mighty Memphis didn't hold temps. I also had good smoke rings.

Later I started cooking @ 275º resulting in almost steady fan operation with a very quick fan lull on rare occasion. I was prepared for no smoke rings - wrong.  Beautiful deep smoke rings as before.

Did jerky @ 180º. Lots of smoke. The fans would come on briefly then go off & stay off many seconds before an other brief on session..

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2022, 12:57:48 PM »

Thanks Lew, and Yes Bently. I talked to the tech today and discussed the smoke. He told me the same thing. I was also amazed to find how easy it is to service and repair. (pic below). Remove two screws on side of front panel and the whole panel swings down exposing all the innards.  And--I can sit in a chair to work on those innards (instead of having to lay on the ground, or tip the pit on its side.) I see what you mean about quality Lew.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2022, 01:00:34 PM »

I am a 275° cooker too for almost anything that I put on the Memphis.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2022, 01:00:56 PM »

Re Smoke.  I used to do ribs & shoulders @ 220º - 250º as the fan on/off cycle was more pronounced as long as the ambient temperature didn't drop too much. Lower ambients caused the fans to run more
 or continuously.

To get the fan lulls that I believed to be smoke producing, I would have to drop the set temperature in cooler weather.  There were never any times the mighty Memphis didn't hold temps. I also had good smoke rings.

Later I started cooking @ 275º resulting in almost steady fan operation with a very quick fan lull on rare occasion. I was prepared for no smoke rings - wrong.  Beautiful deep smoke rings as before.

Did jerky @ 180º. Lots of smoke. The fans would come on briefly then go off & stay off many seconds before an other brief on session..

I think Lew was right; its the quality of the burn. Less white smoke and more blue smoke which is sometimes hard to see.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2022, 01:25:24 PM »

I am a 275° cooker too for almost anything that I put on the Memphis.

Ditto for meats at least.  Baking bread is a different.
Occasionally I'll do 180 for an hour then up to 275 if the meat will be a long cook.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2022, 01:58:03 PM »

Just had a left over rib.  Agree, nice smoke ring and there is smoke in the flavor.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2022, 04:10:56 PM »

If you’ve been out by a smoker a lot during the cook, the food will taste better if you shower and change clothes before eating it while the meat rests. Even if it seems subtle, the smoke starts sticking to you and you’re nose starts tuning it out. That’s part of why it tastes smokier as leftovers.

My guess is new smoker, so you spent more time watching it than you do once you’re used to it.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2022, 05:15:29 PM »

If you’ve been out by a smoker a lot during the cook, the food will taste better if you shower and change clothes before eating it while the meat rests. Even if it seems subtle, the smoke starts sticking to you and you’re nose starts tuning it out. That’s part of why it tastes smokier as leftovers.

My guess is new smoker, so you spent more time watching it than you do once you’re used to it.

Never thought about that.  Good tip.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2022, 05:58:32 PM »

You win the "makes sense to me." award.  Good point.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2022, 12:25:43 AM »

I take no credit for it, I heard it other places and tried it. Also, realized it made total sense after hanging out at a family member’s pig farm a couple times, then going somewhere else and being told how bad I stink…I couldn’t smell a thing.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2022, 07:18:01 AM »

I take no credit for it, I heard it other places and tried it. Also, realized it made total sense after hanging out at a family member’s pig farm a couple times, then going somewhere else and being told how bad I stink…I couldn’t smell a thing.

I can understand this. I use to work at a place where we poured sinks and solid surface counter tops. The resins and the dust just stuck with you, after you were there for 5 minutes you couldn't smell it, but if I went someplace after work people would look and comment about it. It was really bad on Monday morning when I walked in after having 2 days off.

1MoreFord

• Using less gas.
  • Central Arkansas
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2022, 06:41:50 PM »

I used to work with a couple guys one of whom went to work for a rendering plant.  He ran across the other guy and tried to talk into coming to work at the rendering plant because you'd get used to the smell.  Bobby had a week stomach and did his best to stand up wind but just couldn't stand it.
Joe

Falcon Mk V gas grill, OK Joe Longhorn - gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef SG24, Weber 22" OTG

okie smokie

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2022, 11:02:17 PM »

Did prime ribeye tonight. Advised to smoke it first to about 120* and then take it off, and replace the "savorizer" with "direct flame savorizer", crank er up to one of the three hot settings, and sear.  Did that. How about one like this?
Smoked 45 minutes at 220*, then cranked 'er up to "Low" sear with direct flame saverizer and finished it off to 135* internal for Med-med-rare. Almost ate it all before I remembered to get the last pic.. Whoops! Forgot to put the grates back on.  But I did correct that before finishing. Almost got the "Duh" award!

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2022, 05:50:26 AM »

That went well I see.  The juiciest of juicy steaks..

I have never used my direct flame insert as you did.  I have always grilled  on the grates above it.. Your way is more "caveman style" as is known in the kamado world, where the steak is placed directly on the

coals.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2022, 07:24:13 AM »

So, how did this compare to steaks you cooked on your other pieces of equipment?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up