Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Memphis Beale  (Read 8857 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Memphis Beale
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2022, 08:25:15 AM »

That went well I see.  The juiciest of juicy steaks..

I have never used my direct flame insert as you did.  I have always grilled  on the grates above it.. Your way is more "caveman style" as is known in the kamado world, where the steak is placed directly on the

coals.
Steak was only on the flame insert for about 30 seconds before I realized what I had done. Pulled it off and replaced the grates. Maybe if I had left it on the insert, I might have gotten super Mailard effect? Anyhow I was really lucky cause the steak was perfect.

okie smokie

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2022, 08:37:48 AM »

So, how did this compare to steaks you cooked on your other pieces of equipment?
Not sure I can tell you yet. This is the first time I have slow smoked a steak before searing. It was juicier, in spite of being over the direct flame gadget at the end and there was a definite smoke flavor that we have not noted before.  I will do the next one the direct way only and compare. It was one of the best tasting ribeyes.
I did note that the meat probe was not as accurate as expected compared to my quick read. So I just pulled the probe. Will check it later for accuracy. Might have just been where I placed it in the steak.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2022, 09:10:40 AM »

I have not had good luck with my MAK or Memphis probes out of their controllers.  I rely on my Thermoworks gadgets as tool of preference.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2022, 09:37:50 AM »

I always though you still put the steak on the grates.  Shows what I know.   ::)
Actually never used the direct flame mode either.  I just use the gasser for steaks.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2022, 11:03:11 AM »

I have not had good luck with my MAK or Memphis probes out of their controllers.  I rely on my Thermoworks gadgets as tool of preference.
I think you are correct. I'm gonna check accuracy anyhow and if it is not good will confer with Memphis to see if it can be adjusted. My RT probes were off several degrees but were easily adjustable and the "how to" was right there in the manual. No such adjustments are suggested in the Memphis manual. In fact there is no specific Beale Street manual--they give you a general manual for the Elite, Pro and Advantage, which all have the same controller and general use info. I guess that is OK but they could have added Beale Street to the top sheet.  I have a ThermoPro pen which is very fast and accurate-it did the job for me on the steak.

okie smokie

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2022, 11:09:16 AM »

I always though you still put the steak on the grates.  Shows what I know.   ::)
Actually never used the direct flame mode either.  I just use the gasser for steaks.
I did put the steak on the grates! That pic showed that after I put the flame grid on I also put the steak on it.  A brain fart, that I quickly corrected. Sorry no follow up pic. Won't do it again. PS no harm done anyhow.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2022, 11:55:42 AM »

DOH!  Somehow I missed the post where you said that. 
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2022, 04:54:32 PM »

Just finished testing the meat probe. Overall, it is about correct, but slow to respond. Will be OK for long cooks. I will use rapid response pen for steaks and such. I also have a Meater but I think the pen is the most accurate and fastest. I think I'm good to go! Thanks for all the input. 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2022, 05:04:05 PM »

How many probes does the controller handle and how many probes came with the base price of the grill?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2022, 09:15:15 PM »

How many probes does the controller handle and how many probes came with the base price of the grill?
None come with the Beale Street, but it handles 3, and part of the incentive was one probe (not the new $99 type), one cover, one set of extra upper grates, and one super tool (that is worth having if you don't have one.) Not sure I will ever need the extra grates, unless I make jerky or decide to feed 20 people.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2022, 09:53:04 PM »

The extra grates are good to cook food on and have pans underneath them for the drippings.  I learned that on here.  I wish I did that from day one when I bought the grill.  Easy to clean up.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »

My Elite also supports 3 but it only came with one.
Not providing all the probes is pretty cheap for what you pay for these things.
Also, the hole on the side for the "probes" to go through is only big enough for one probe.       Well done Memphis.   :clap:

okie smokie

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2022, 10:44:56 AM »

Also, the hole on the side for the "probes" to go through is only big enough for one probe.       Well done Memphis.   :clap:
No hole for probes on the BS. But plenty of space between the end of the front seal and the side of the lid. No hole needed.  I had 4 probes passed through with no problem on just one side. I have no c/o at this point.
Grilling swordfish tonight.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2022, 11:12:29 AM »

No hole for probes on the BS. But plenty of space between the end of the front seal and the side of the lid. No hole needed.  I had 4 probes passed through with no problem on just one side. I have no c/o at this point.
Grilling swordfish tonight.

I don't use the hole since I use Thermoworks thermometers.  Their probes are skinny enough that the soft gasket between lid and grill compresses enough that no smoke/heat escapes.
The Memphis probes are thick probably 1/4" at least. Couldn't put them between grill and hood.

okie smokie

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2022, 09:20:53 PM »

Swordfish steaks about 1.2" thick.  Blotted any moisture with paper towel. Next melted butter in saucepan and painted both sides of each steak. Then seasoned with special seafood seasoning from our local "White River" seafood restaurant.  Next heated up the BS to 450*.  Just put them on the grates, for about a total of 18 minutes or about.  Turned for crisscross searing, and basted with more melted butter with lemon juice. They finished out done and still juicy, and we added potato pancakes from left-over mashed potatoes, and half a avocado with italian dressing on it. We both were amazed at the sweetness of the swordfish. We also used some tartar sauce but it was not needed. Next time will use 475* to get a little more sear. I don't plan to use GG's on this grill since it has the open flame option. We did not need it this time.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 09:22:31 PM by okie smokie »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up