Accessories & Essentials > Knives, Sharpeners, Cutting Boards & Mats

Inexpensive nakiri

(1/5) > >>

Darwin:
I usually believe you get what you pay for, but sometimes I get surprised.  I purchased a Winco , medium, Stainless Steel Nakiri style knife for $13 last year and I really like it.  I gave it a few minutes on a honing steel and leather strop to get it right.  I use it daily and smile ever time I pick it up.

BigDave83:
I never knew about that style until the MilkStreet guy showed up on my facebook. It looked interesting.

I have a set of the cheap Henkels Santuko I think one is 5" and one is maybe 8" I use the 5" one a lot for my vegetables. Had thought about one of the Nakiri designs.

Canadian John:

If you can get by the craftsmanship & brand names, there are some good finds out there.

A knife to me should fit well in the hand, cut well, maintain an edge reasonably well & be easily sharpened.

pmillen:
The nakiri is one of the oldest, most continually used knives in Japan.  It's a simple, double-bevel, rectangular blade, typically between 6½ and 7 inches.  It's almost like a cleaver that's short from spine to edge.  The name translates to vegetable knife, and it’s great for that use and not so great for anything else.

Show us a photograph of yours, Darwin.

Darwin:
it could easily be called a Chinese cleaver also. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VZ6NE0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Please delete link if it breaks the rules.  Amazon did not want to let me copy the image and I'm in a meeting with not time to hunt for another  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View