Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 29 Apr 2022

•  This is far from a new topic. The subject has a way of continually haunting us.

Back to basics. Combustible material, kindling temperature and oxygen. Remove any one = no fire.

My belief is rather simple. If your cooking method is too greasy to cook in your oven @ home it can very well be too greasy to cook on you pit.

What's your take?
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 29 Apr 2022
  • I've mentioned before I believe - Baking Soda.
    A pan with baking soda spread out in it will "greatly" reduce chance of a fire.
    I use the boxes of it I take from the fridge when I replace them.  Serves two purposes.
  • #3 by glitchy on 29 Apr 2022
  • Only grease fire I’ve ever had in a pellet grill was on the Memphis and several times at that. Ten other pellet grills cooking the same foods using the same processes, not one…though I probably just cursed myself.

I’ve had flare ups on the MAK and SmokeFire when grilling at high temps, but that’s just like grilling on a gasser.

Only other full fledged grease fire I’ve had on an outdoor cooker was on a Weber gas grill when I went too long between cleanings.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 29 Apr 2022

•  This is far from a new topic. The subject has a way of continually haunting us.

Back to basics. Combustible material, kindling temperature and oxygen. Remove any one = no fire.

My belief is rather simple. If your cooking method is too greasy to cook in your oven @ home it can very well be too greasy to cook on you pit.

What's your take?
    Don't agree! Your conclusion is logical but logic and fact are often different. You do want a fire, but want it isolated to the fire pit, and you want grease diverted away from the flame area. In the house you can do this with a drip pan, and moderate to low heat. So yes you can do low slows in the house oven, but sorry, no smoke. But if you don't control the oven temp you can have a nice oven fire from excess temp with no flame. (not as likely but better to have it outside). You can do the same outdoors with a drip pan as well. But my point recently has been that modern pellet smokers have been designed to divert the grease properly into a safe place with goal of reducing fires to a minimum. Most brands have done so with proper design, many of which are similar. Is it perfect?  No, and not likely, since other variables come into play, i.e. amount of grease produced, often unreliable temp control, pitt not level, drip tray not clean  or in the right position, etc.  On the other hand, some consumers report more frequent fires with some brands which suggests to me that there may be design flaws present in them that increase the risk. I believe it is worth the effort to sleuth them out for the safety of their owners, and the companies who make them (if they are open to advice).
       We are all aware of the design flaw in a recent entry into the pellet grill industry. Grease was actually diverted toward the fire pit, and mixed with ashes so it would not drain well. Many reports of grease fires occurred. I had the opportunity to see the result of such a fire. Scary. Pitt destroyed.And it belonged to a local fire station.

2. O2ebz06;  Good advice and easy to do.

• #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Apr 2022
  • I will revisit this later.  I've had them on 3 pellet grills and they were probably all avoidable.
  • #6 by Bentley on 30 Apr 2022
  • I have had them, but for me they are far and few between and a non issue!
  • #7 by MP09 on 04 May 2022
  • Baking soda solved my problem. Bacon wrapped dogs sometimes would cause me problems but no more.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 04 May 2022
    I use the boxes of it I take from the fridge when I replace them.  Serves two purposes.
    Is that the drip pan for the cook?  You just sprinkle the whole box? Do you add water?
  • #9 by 02ebz06 on 05 May 2022
    Is that the drip pan for the cook?  You just sprinkle the whole box? Do you add water?
    I dump the whole box in the pan and spread it around. No water.
    The Elite has two grease pans so I put a box in each.
Pages:
Actions