Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Costco Branded Pellets  (Read 15850 times)

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Costco Branded Pellets
« on: May 25, 2022, 08:41:25 PM »

Costco enters the pellet arena with Kirkland signature pellets.  They used to sell the exclusive gourmet blend from Traeger at a good price but the new ones are really cheap at $12.99 for a 40 lbs bag.  The contents info on the bag sounds a lot like Traeger. 

4given

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Costco Branded Pellets
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 05:18:13 PM »

We bought a bag today and will be trying them this weekend. I'll let you all know what I think.
John 3:16-18  GMG Daniel Boone, GMG Davy Crockett

4given

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 05:31:27 PM »

The Kirkland (Costco) brand is labeled as being a blend of Oak, Hickory, Maple and Cherry.  My guess is they are made by Bear Mountain because their  "Gourmet BBQ Blend" is Oak, Hickory, Maple and Cherry. That would be great. I like the Bear Mountains just fine.

Another clue is that Costco sells  40 LB bags of Bear Mountain "Gourmet BBQ Blend" on their website.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05:36:44 PM by 4given »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 09:07:55 PM »

Bear Mt makes a good pellet!  Been a long time since I have been able to get any, will have to get 4-5 bags next time in Costco!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Zombini

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 08:37:28 AM »

Thats good news. Hope our Costco has them.
Zombini

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 12:56:10 PM »

Some folks on Reddit think the pellets are made by Pit Boss based on the similarity in the packaging.  Who knows.  It will be interesting to hear what people think of them. 

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 06:00:24 PM »

Perhaps Bear Mt. packages Pit Boss' pellets.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

4given

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 01:25:10 PM »

The new Kirkland Pellet worked great! We cooked two pork butts and a small brisket low and slow at 225 deg F. They turned out really well. The pellets burned nicely in my DB Choice and lent the meat a nice well balanced smoke flavor. Left a real nice smoke ring!

I have had a Daniel Boone for about eight years and have burned several pallets of different brands pellets through it over the years. I think these Kirkland pellets rank right up there with the best of them.

These are great all around pellets and I would recommend you give them a try. As long as they are available at Costco for this kind of price this will be my new everyday go to pellet. It doesn’t mean I won’t get some Lumberjack 100% hickory or some Mesquite blended pellets for special cooks but I will use these most of the time.

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 08:39:46 PM »

Bear Mt makes a good pellet!  Been a long time since I have been able to get any, will have to get 4-5 bags next time in Costco!
Glad to hear this.  I can get them nearby. :clap:

4given

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 08:42:08 AM »

For what is worth, a guy on a Facebook GMG users group posted: " This is the company that will be branded for Costco. Was there today and chatted with them. https://diamondkingsmoker.com/product/bbq-pellets-15-lbs/

4given

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 08:50:14 AM »

Again, for what it's worth, I found this post on a Recteq forum: "20 year Costco employee here and bbq addict. I wanted to address the question who makes what, well simply put none of those companies do. (note: he is referencing Pit Boss, Bear Mountain and others mentioned in the thread)  What we do is find a smaller company that we can work with develop a recipe this is the “Kirkland signature” part of the business so in short yes there’s a tremendous amount of work trial and error in every Kirkland product we do our absolute best to put out a top notch product."

Interesting
Pages: [1]   Go Up