Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Solution for Weak WiFi on your Memphis Grills  (Read 3617 times)

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Re: Possible Solution for Weak WiFi on your Memphis Grills
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 12:14:28 PM »

We just got the T Mobile 5G home internet this week.  We are very happy with it compared to what we had.  The down side is we only get 100 Gigs of data a month but for $50 a month we will make due.  It's unlimited but after the 100 Gigs the speed slows way down apparently.  We had the Verizon 4G for several months and it was good at first and then got horrible.  It was 150 Gigs a month for around $118.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 09:29:27 AM »

We will have fiber to the curb, then copper to the house is what I was told.
So Okie, you have me concerned now when you talked about the extenders being too close to each other.
I planned on buying a 4-pak of Netgear Orbi WIFI-6 devices. One router and 3 satellites.
Reason being each Extender has a 1G jack on them that I intend to use for wife's PC, my PC, and one for my Servers.
Now I'm thinking I should probably cut it down to a 3-pak as wife's PC does have WIFI in it.  So only 2 extenders that way.
Each will be a separate room.
Only 2 cat-5 cables are run into the house. The Router will have to connect to one.

My current house has cat-5 to every room and 2 to some rooms.
Unfortunately, my current Internet speed is only 20mb (two 10mb lines), which I don't quite understand unless they are basing that on upload speed,
as I get about 120Mb down, and 14Mb up.
II have 1G through the house though.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 09:50:40 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 09:53:15 AM »

I had a 3 piece eero set, with one at the router, and two peripherals. Router unfortunately has to be in a far corner. House is 2900 sq. ft. After setting up, I had TV going off line intermittently and lots of restarts. After being frustrated in correcting attempts, I called ATT and demanded a visit by a tech to analyze and correct the problem.  He came. He saw. He conquered.  First he turned the eero off and checked the signal strengths. First noted that I had the two peripherals too close together so that they would compete which results in the intermittent offs and ons. Second I had placed the peripherals in weak signal areas, and so what I was boosting was a weak signal.
He found two strong signal spots, as far from the router as possible, and as far from each other as possible. That took a little time, but turned out well. After 2 weeks or more, we have had no signal failures at the 6 TV's in the house. Signal is good even tho ATT wifi strength varies during high use times. The only remaining weak signal is to my wifi controlled smoker on the back porch, which is now improved with the better antenna. 

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 10:09:58 AM »

We will have fiber to the curb, then copper to the house is what I was told.
So Okie, you have me concerned now when you talked about the extenders being too close to each other.
I planned on buying a 4-pak of Netgear Orbi WIFI-6 devices. One router and 3 satellites.
Reason being each Extender has a 1G jack on them that I intend to use for wife's PC, my PC, and one for my Servers.
Now I'm thinking I should probably cut it down to a 3-pak as wife's PC does have WIFI in it.  So only 2 extenders that way.
Each will be a separate room.
Only 2 cat-5 cables are run into the house. The Router will have to connect to one.

My current house has cat-5 to every room and 2 to some rooms.
Unfortunately, my current Internet speed is only 20mb (two 10mb lines), which I don't quite understand unless they are basing that on upload speed,
as I get about 120Mb down, and 14Mb up.
II have 1G through the house though.

The ‘Orbi’ is a ‘mesh’ Wi-Fi system.  You will likely have to plug the main orbi into the ISP system router  - then you are good to go. After setting up the orbi and its nodes of course.

Today a ‘mesh’ system is the way to go.  Each node hands your devices off to whichever node is closer/better signal, along with the other benefit of the same Wi-Fi name and password across your whole network. Connect once and forget it.

The 1g speed is to your network, each device will likely have a somewhat lesser speed. Which is still able to stream and surf the internet on many devices at the same time. Congrats on the high speed.

I am personally running an older Linksys Velop system for home and another at the in-laws. And a few TP-Link systems for some friends  and other family. We have been very satisfied with the results so far,
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 10:59:41 AM »

I had an original Google mesh system and then bought a newer version.  I have 5 access points - basement storage room where router resides, basement TV room, wife's office on main floor, living room next to TV, and last one in the garage.  It is probably overkill, but I had the extra devices so why not use them.  I have about 10 ethernet connections throughout the house that has most computers, printers, servers, and TVs connected with several 8 port switches.  Wifi is used mostly for laptops, tablets, phones.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2022, 11:14:59 AM »

I forgot to say that the eero is a mesh system also.  Easy to install and use. The main thing is not to install a booster in a weak signal area. It should be installed in area still strong but at the periphery of that strong area. Strength in equals strength out.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up