Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 07 Sep 2022
  • So a friend that we have dinner with and I go to a meeting with every Friday brings this by this afternoon and says why don't we have this for dinner Friday instead of the usual pizza!  I say Great, have never cooked a "Tomahawk" Rib-eye, but always up for a new challenge.

I am not a big fan of Sous Vide for Beef for the Quality cuts, as most of the time, I do not care for the texture, so that is out for me.  This is a 3.5lb. cut, so even with the bone, a pretty nice hunk of Beef!  I am flip flopping back and forth on which way to go.  Start it on the Memphis Pro at about 600° for about 20 minutes with a turn every 5 minutes to get the crust and marks, and finish at 400° till 125°...Or, start out with the lower temperature and finish with the grilling?

I am of the mind set that I will have more control over the finished product if I go with the former technique! I figure the IT will be in the 85° to 100° range if I grill 1st, and the remaining low temp cook will be easier to control and pull so we get that prefect Medium (having to make a concession on finished doneness) if I get Hot out of the way 1st!

Guess we will see how it come out Friday.  I would like to see a bit more marbling in it, but free is good!  Also debating on cutting that fat down!

• #2 by Bentley on 07 Sep 2022
  • This is the time when I wish I had a bandsaw for that fat!
  • #3 by Bentley on 07 Sep 2022
  • I found the cutting before the finishing heat interesting!  I wish he would have said the temps of the low end ovens!

How Legendary NY Steakhouse Peter Luger Makes the Perfect Steak
  • #4 by Bentley on 07 Sep 2022
  • I cant say it for certain it was for him, but I chuckled when they brought the Cheeseburger out with the steak!  My kind of owner, you are in one of The Most famous Steakhouses and you eat a burger
  • #5 by Bentley on 07 Sep 2022
  • Any guesses as to what the side was on the far right at the end?  I have no clue.  Creamed Spinach on left, one of my favorite Steakhouse sides!
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Sep 2022
  • Based on my experiences of grill fires, I like your first option.  You can pull the meat off while you get the temp down to 400 degrees.
  • #7 by WiPelletHead on 07 Sep 2022
  • Any guesses as to what the side was on the far right at the end?  I have no clue.  Creamed Spinach on left, one of my favorite Steakhouse sides!

Looked at Peter Luger's website and I think those are the German Style fried potatoes.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 07 Sep 2022
  • I would go for hot first also, sealing in the juices? Would take off a lot of that fat to avoid a 3 alarm when searing.
  • #9 by Bentley on 08 Sep 2022
  • The potatoes make sense!
  • #10 by pmillen on 08 Sep 2022
  • Start it on the Memphis Pro at about 600° for about 20 minutes with a turn every 5 minutes to get the crust and marks, and finish at 400° till 125°...Or, start out with the lower temperature and finish with the grilling?

I am of the mind set that I will have more control over the finished product if I go with the former technique!

I went from pre-sear to reverse-sear and then back to pre-sear for better temperature control.  But I was recently told of a Kansas State University study that proved that the reverse-sear method retained more weight.  That means that less liquid was lost when reverse-searing, which must mean it results in a juicer steak.
  • #11 by dk117 on 08 Sep 2022
  • I suppose I'll throw in my  :2cents: for all it's worth.

I've cooked a handful of these and the reverse sear method IMO provides an easier path to success.  I set it on smoke, maybe 180 or so for an hour, get the gasser up to 700 and then constantly probe check the temp.   A lengthy rest is called for as well. 

DK

PS I did much smaller rib eyes just last weekend for a crowd of 10 on a home made smoker (I think I must have posted that smoker on PH, couldn't find the link, but it's still kicking at our bug out campsite) and then over a live alder wood fire.  Turned out amazing.  But I wouldn't have been able to control the IT without a reverse sear. 
  • #12 by JoeGrilling on 08 Sep 2022
  • We have tomahawk steaks several times every year.  I use Matt Pittman's recipe that can be found on Traeger's website.  The recipe smokes the steaks at 225 until an internal temperature of 120 is reached and then reverse sear.  I use my gasser for the sear.  This recipe works well with tri-tip also. 
  • #13 by hughver on 08 Sep 2022
  • I also vote for reverse sear. Coincidently, I'm doing a 2"(1lb. 13oz) NY steak for supper tonight. I'm going to thaw, trim season, vacuum pack, sous vide and sear. I have no problem with 4 hour sous vide @ 128° texture.
  • #14 by Bentley on 08 Sep 2022
  • Not a fan of the reverse sear.  Dont care for the way the texture of the meat comes out!
  • #15 by Fire708 on 09 Sep 2022
  • For thick cuts of meat I like to pan roast in the kitchen. I always read that meat doesn’t absorb any smoke flavor over 180 so I figure it’s not gonna matter. It would be easy to adapt to outdoor cooking though. Sear in a cast iron pan, flip and transfer to the pellet grill till IT it where you want it.

I do like to reverse sear 1” and under though.
Pages:
Actions