Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pitts & Spitts Smoke Cage  (Read 861 times)

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Pitts & Spitts Smoke Cage
« on: January 11, 2023, 12:04:30 PM »

I got an email from Pitt & Spitts about a new thing they have to add wood chunks into a cage next to the burn pot on their Maverick pellet grills.  It's an interesting concept but I don't think it would be practical for a long slow cook because you have to open the lid to add wood.  The link went to a YouTube video of a gentleman up in Canadian John's neck of the woods using it for a brisket cook and he opened the lid every half hour to add wood.  I'm not sure if I can post the link for it but they call it a Smoke Cage if anyone is interested.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Pitts & Spitts Smoke Cage
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 01:42:22 PM »

I had a look @ the video:interesting..  The add wood every 30 to 60 minutes along with a very tight fit to deposit wood is a negative for me.  The end result would have to be spectacular to offset the added

work.

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 05:50:50 PM »

I also looked at the video, and then proceeded to fall down the darn YouTube rabbit hole.
Below is a post from another viewer and I think his/her suggestion is valid.

"I think this is a great option for extra smoke flavor however, if you need to add wood chunks every 20-30 minutes, it defeats the convenience of a pellet smoker. I have a Pitts & Spitts offset smoker and only have to add a split every 45 minutes to an hour so in this case, the offset is more convenient 😂 If they come up with an automated chute, that would be a game changer."

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 09:37:41 AM »

I agree with y'all.  It defeats the set it and forget it ease of the pellet grill, which is why we are all here.  If I wanted to work hard at cooking a brisket I'd use my offset.  And that doesn't sound appealing to me.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1]   Go Up