Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want a new pellet grill  (Read 1447 times)

garmp

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
  • Rec-Tec R300
Want a new pellet grill
« on: March 18, 2023, 05:03:57 PM »

Looking for a new pellet grill and prefer something made in the USA. Currently have a RecTeq mini300 and want more cooking space, but really love it.
Yoder is my first choice, but can't really afford it and heard there are rust concerns as they age.
Really leaning toward the RecTeq 590 and that would be stretching my budget, but almost do able. Any hidden gems out there that I have missed?
Sure sould use your help.
thanks

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Want a new pellet grill
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 05:28:18 PM »

Not sure of RecTeq prices, but Blazin' Grills are USA made.
At least as far as I know.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:01:47 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 05:58:11 PM »

I dont think rectec is made in US.  If you decide to go non USA built, look at the Camp Chef Woodwind with sear box!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:00:07 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 04:44:25 AM »

Smokin Brothers (dot com) is the most affordable USA made pellet grills I’ve seen. I’ve really never heard anything bad about them. Yoder really has a pretty good reputation too, but the owners are a spin off from an offset company. They are about thick steel smoker that do need regular finish maintenance. If you sand and touch up every couple years, they should last decades. MAK will last a long time without finish maintenance, but is another level up in price.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 08:41:34 AM »

The best advice I can give you is what was given to be over 50 years ago.  Buy the best you can afford and is what you want.  If it cost more save until you can afford it as quality stands the test of time.  All I can say this has worked for me over the years.  Good luck on your decision

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 11:44:20 AM »

The best advice I can give you is what was given to be over 50 years ago.  Buy the best you can afford and is what you want.  If it cost more save until you can afford it as quality stands the test of time.  All I can say this has worked for me over the years.  Good luck on your decision

Great advice.  I try to live by that too.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MikeMcQ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 08:09:19 PM »

MAK will last a long time without finish maintenance, but is another level up in price.
I almost 100% agree. My MAK 2* is a decade+ old with zero signs of rust etc. I disagree in that a new one would probably be more than "another level" up in price! :(

However got my MAK after 2 different Traegers over 2 decades and then a Green Mountain Daniel Boone and honestly can say MAK 2* light years better built and better performance wise too.

110% agree!  :)
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 09:45:03 PM »

What cooker did you go with? Or have you not made your final decision?

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 06:23:26 AM »

Smokin Brothers (dot com) is the most affordable USA made pellet grills I’ve seen. I’ve really never heard anything bad about them. Yoder really has a pretty good reputation too, but the owners are a spin off from an offset company. They are about thick steel smoker that do need regular finish maintenance. If you sand and touch up every couple years, they should last decades. MAK will last a long time without finish maintenance, but is another level up in price.

I bought the SmokinBrothers 36PP a year or so ago and I love it.  It took a little learning being the temperatures did not do the lows and highs my previous Traeger and GMG smokers did.  It is well made and smokes great.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2023, 12:00:54 PM »

590 hard to beat. Quality, service, simplicity. We have had 3 in our family.  Low maintenance is a good point.

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2023, 05:48:10 PM »

I love my RecTeq 1250, though yes it's made in China. I actually planned on getting a MAK, but they were impossible to buy at the time. No regrets with my RT though, this thing will last a long time and the controller is excellent. Everything is a compromise at some level.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

thomas

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 02:56:08 AM »

Buy a Recteq and don’t look back! Will last for years no temperature fluctuations and cooks well in 5 deg windy weather without a blanket! Oh and customer service is great!
Pages: [1]   Go Up