Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Picked up a new toy  (Read 1900 times)

BrandonLutz

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Picked up a new toy
« on: April 14, 2023, 04:46:18 PM »

Recently decided to get a vertical cabinet smoker to start taking on the local competitions with me instead of having to lug around my very heavy Grid Iron smoker. After a lot of research, I decided to go with the 7 Series Copperhead from Pit Boss.

Unfortunately, as soon as I ordered it, I came down with Covid, so other than the burn off period, I have yet to test it out cook wise. From what I could tell, during the burn off it held temps really well, so I have good hopes for this unit. Hopefully by this weekend I'm better and I can cook something on it before I drag it off to the next competition I'm in next Friday. I'm thinking a nice Pork Butt will be a good test for it. I'm also pleased at how well it matches my existing Blazn Grill color so it matches well when they are side by side.

Grilling toys: Blaz'n Grid Iron, GMG Davy Crockett, Pit Boss PP150PPG, Pit Boss PBV7P1, Broil King BSK, 3 home made smokers, Weber 22" and a Weber Q gasser.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Picked up a new toy
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 04:53:34 PM »

Do not let it out in the rain.  Unfortunately, I did.  Water got into the pellet dump door and long story short jammed the pellet auger.  I haven't fixed it yet.  It's been about 3 years.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BrandonLutz

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 04:55:32 PM »

Do not let it out in the rain.  Unfortunately, I did.  Water got into the pellet dump door and long story short jammed the pellet auger.  I haven't fixed it yet.  It's been about 3 years.

I have the cover on order for it and it will always be kept under my patio. I'm pretty religious about watching the weather and making sure I cover up the grills to make sure that doesn't happen.
Grilling toys: Blaz'n Grid Iron, GMG Davy Crockett, Pit Boss PP150PPG, Pit Boss PBV7P1, Broil King BSK, 3 home made smokers, Weber 22" and a Weber Q gasser.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 09:27:00 PM »

I enjoyed Product testing that unit!  I think it was a tad smaller then yours, but it was a versatile smoker!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 04:19:12 AM »

I did the same thing and it was not fun clearing it. I have had the 5 series for about 5-6 years and love it. Thinking about buying the 7 as we speak. You will enjoy it.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 08:35:27 AM »

Too bad about that nasty Covid.  Perhaps this will help cheer you up...  That's a nice touch to a cooking arsenal.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 09:06:27 AM »

I am sure that one will be much easier to take to comps.  A wise choice. :clap:
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 10:29:58 AM »

Glad you are recovering.  Good looking Smoker.
Let us know how if does.
I had a GridIron. It is a beast.  Wouldn't want to move it often.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BrandonLutz

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 07:21:49 PM »

Glad you are recovering.  Good looking Smoker.
Let us know how if does.
I had a GridIron. It is a beast.  Wouldn't want to move it often.

They are not fun to move alone  ;D. In the next month or so, I'm going to see if I can build my own comp cart for it. I've got a welder and need an excuse to start my first major project. :D

I'm mostly over the virus so I may test it out tomorrow. I got a whole chicken and a couple of spare racks I'll trim down tonight to see if I can test tomorrow.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 12:20:37 PM »

I'm always looking for an excuse to weld.  And since we put in an RV plug close to my barn I can weld in the shade instead of on the driveway by the house in full Texas summer sun. :cool:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 12:26:07 PM by Brushpopper »
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

BrandonLutz

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 01:26:06 PM »

Did a quick cook this morning on it and I'm pleased with the performance of the smoker. Don't have my full energy back yet so I just cooked a whole chicken and some jalapeno sausage I had in the fridge. Spatch-cocked a whole chicken this morning, and put it on at 8:30 at 225 for 2 hours. Final part of the cook was at 350 for 30 minutes and that is when I threw the sausage on. Everything came off at 11:30 and shut it down.

Pit held temps really well. Even with a cold North Wind whipping around and under my rear patio, I never saw it drop more than 5 degrees from the set point.

For those of you with the vertical smokers, do you always use water in your water pan? Or do you sometimes just wrap it in foil and let the drippings hit it?

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 02:00:42 PM »

I don't put water in too often.
I've been wrapping with foil lately.  Mainly doing that for sandwiches, so I don't get the hard bark.
Hard bark is nice to chew on, but I don't want it ending up in a sandwich.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 05:57:03 PM »

I used to put water in mine, then I got tired of messing with it.

I just put oil dry in then I can pick out the clumps and it still helps with the temps.

BrandonLutz

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2023, 12:29:19 AM »

Well, she got her trial by fire today. Didn't make the tables this go around but it was a great weekend weather-wise for a BBQ comp and I had fun. Now I have a ton of brisket, ribs and chicken left over that I've brought home that I'll have to make disappear. 8)

urnmor

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2023, 07:28:01 AM »

They all look great so I am sure being the magician that you are they will disappear in a jiffy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up