All Things Considered > General Discussion--Food Related

Salvage a Dry Brisket

(1/2) > >>

pmillen:
My MAK 2-Star was set at 200°F but ran crazy through the night due to pilot error (I think).  I forgot to put the cap over the burn pot the last time I cleaned it and I didn't clean it after smoking a meat loaf so it may have been a bit too dirty.  What should have been a 12-hour smoke turned out to be only 9 hours.  I wrapped it in foil with beef consommé and put it into the kitchen oven, and then I had to hold it FTCd a bit longer than usual.  The result was a brisket that is so dry it sucks all of the moisture out of my mouth like a sponge.

Here's a temperature plot from 9:00PM to 6:00AM the next morning–

I was up three times during the night monitoring the internal temperature.  When it hit 160°F I pulled it to wrap.

So—it's super dry.  What do you suggest I do to get it to absorb moisture?

Kristin Meredith:
I am not sure you can get it to absorb moisture at this point, but you may want to try covering in beef broth on a very low simmer.  Your better bet might be to chop it up, add bbq sauce (maybe thinned a bit) for bbq beef sandwiches or cube and use in a beef stew.

Kristin Meredith:
I did find this online:   https://www.priceofmeat.com/25490/how-do-you-moisten-dry-cooked-meat/

BigDave83:
I think I would try steaming it or at least cut a portion off and try that.

Bar-B-Lew:

--- Quote from: Kristin Meredith on April 29, 2024, 07:06:34 AM ---I am not sure you can get it to absorb moisture at this point, but you may want to try covering in beef broth on a very low simmer.  Your better bet might be to chop it up, add bbq sauce (maybe thinned a bit) for bbq beef sandwiches or cube and use in a beef stew.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this and will throw use it in chili as another option

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View