Pages:
Actions
  • #316 by Bentley on 27 Jan 2018
  • The salmon really does look good...I will leave it at that.  For me to take that much time with the toothpicks, it would have had to have been pork belly.

FMT, it almost looks like a Strip roast...what is the cut?
  • #317 by Free Mr. Tony on 27 Jan 2018
  • It was a little over 3 pound bottom round. I wanted a sirloin roast, but they didn't look great. Bottom was also on sale for 2.49 a pound. It was pretty well marbled.
  • #318 by Bentley on 27 Jan 2018
  • Will you be able to get close to what Al uses for his bread?  Never heard of Al's, I will have to look him up!
  • #319 by Michael_NW on 27 Jan 2018
  • Quadman750, I'm not a big fan of salmon . . . but I would relish eating that!
  • #320 by yorkdude on 27 Jan 2018
  • Holy cow,
    Why I don't think to check this thread?
    Wow on the salmon and now on to what I have missed.
  • #321 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Jan 2018
  • I'm interested in this Al's beef experiment.  You will have to make a separate post once you nail the recipe and process.
  • #322 by Free Mr. Tony on 27 Jan 2018
  • Will you be able to get close to what Al uses for his bread?  Never heard of Al's, I will have to look him up!

Most beef places seem to use high gluten rolls. They really hold up to the dip in the gravy. I actually like more of a po'boy style bread. I like the residual juice from the beef, but I don't dip the bread. Just too xxxx messy. The texture of the high gluten rolls isn't as good to me, so I get these loaves from the Latin market. Crisp on the outside, and soft in the middle. Holds up the juice fairly well, but has a better texture to me.

I'm interested in this Al's beef experiment.  You will have to make a separate post once you nail the recipe and process.

Probably make them tomorrow. If anything to write home about, I will make a thread. Starting off super promising with the gravy flavor. Used a different recipe with tons of different spices, as the others I've used in the past were too one dimensional. The flavor after the beef was done was amazing. I also used to make the beef very rare so that it wouldn't overcook in the juice. Al's appears to cook theirs basically medium well to well then stews in the sauce until falling apart. I'm going that route this time for a change.

I've only had Al's one time so my recollection is foggy at best, but I do know what I'm looking for on general texture. I think well done version will give me more of what I'm looking for, and if the gravy is half as good tomorrow as my taste today I should be set.
  • #323 by Bentley on 27 Jan 2018
  • So Al's is a shredded beef Italian Beef sandwich, or you mean he cooks it, slices it, then cooks in da juice till it is falling apart?

You lika da juice?  I get you more juice...Larry loved this skit!

Hub's Gyro's
  • #324 by Free Mr. Tony on 27 Jan 2018
  • So Al's is a shredded beef Italian Beef sandwich, or you mean he cooks it, slices it, then cooks in da juice till it is falling apart?

You lika da juice?  I get you more juice...Larry loved this skit!

Hub's Gyro's

Cooks it to 150ish, fridge overnight,  paper thin slices the next day. Stew in 165 degree gravy until serving. When they pull it out it just looks like beef scraps.
  • #325 by NorCal Smoker on 27 Jan 2018
  • Surf and Turf!
    Tri Tip and Shrimp, along with pinto beans, broccoli, and cucumber, tomato, and onion salad.:

• #326 by Quadman750 on 28 Jan 2018
  • I could eat that every day.
  • #327 by pmillen on 28 Jan 2018
  • Yep, broccoli and all!
  • #328 by yorkdude on 28 Jan 2018
  • Nothing fancy but had to get 10# of jerky done.
    180 is not the norm (too hot for normal jerky smoke) but it is getting a lot colder here and I have to be a tad impatient.
    20 mph winds and 3 of them are perfectly chugging.
    Looking at them reminds me how much I use them and how much I need to clean them. Oh well!
  • #329 by NorCal Smoker on 28 Jan 2018
  • That is one heck of a set up!  One pellet smoker is enough for me ... according to my wife!  I have been fighting the battle for several years with no progress.  ???

• #330 by smokin soon on 28 Jan 2018
  • Some marinated Pork Blade Steaks on the trusty old Traeger. 1 Hour smoke and cranked it up.

Pages:
Actions