Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IGNITER LIFE  (Read 2363 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
IGNITER LIFE
« on: October 24, 2017, 03:38:10 PM »

Just curious as to how long igniters last relative to use in the Memphis..I have had my Pro for a few months now and just love it. No problems to speak of....  My previous pit went through 2 or 3 igniters in under 6 years..In the 9 months of the year it was used it would be used about 5 days/week.

As I like to be proactive I was considering having an igniter on hand even though the pit can be started manually..If the igniters are for the most part long lived I'll wait.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 09:48:22 AM by Canadian John »

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: IGNITER LIFE
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »

I've had my Elite for over 2 years and igniter still works fine. A few months ago it was tripping the GFCI so I started it with a torch. After the cook I cleaned the burn pot really well and haven't had a problem since.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »

I think mine is 5 years old and still works, but I don't use it very often.  Will see how long it takes others to develop an igniter like MAK that they guarantee for life.  That things starts a grill up much faster than the old fashioned igniters.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Gringo

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »

I've had my 2011 Pro since 2013 and it was a demo unit before that.  I use it on average of twice a week.  Still on the original ignitor.
Lakeville, MN MemphisPro Weber Performer Blackstone 36" Griddle

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 06:12:19 PM »

I have a 2011 Pro, replaced the hot rod for the first time this spring.  Probably average one use a week over that time, so maybe 300 starts before it died.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:16:35 PM by GrillinGlen »
2011 SS Memphis Pro

ZCZ

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 08:07:41 PM »

Have never had to replace one.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »

2010 Pro, 1st one...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »

Looks like my igniter went on my Elite that is 7+ years old.  I didn't see a place to buy one on the Memphis website.  Any recommendations on how to go about getting a replacement and installing it?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »

I would shoot them an email from the website, I am sure they can sell you a replacement.  If the Elite is anything like the Pro, you will simply take the back off to access it.  It is a pretty simple process.  Mine did not burn out, but when Memphis sent me the inner panels, they sent me a new ignition and I replaced it about 18 months ago...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 02:01:17 PM »

There is no problem getting an igniter from Memphis - simply contact them.

You should request installation instructions, they are on the net too, as the igniter is iso mounted and requires a gap @ the fire pot to maintain that feature. It's an easy job.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 03:13:18 PM »

Looks like my igniter went on my Elite that is 7+ years old.  I didn't see a place to buy one on the Memphis website.  Any recommendations on how to go about getting a replacement and installing it?

Lew, what are the symptoms? Is it just not getting hot, or is it tripping the GFCI?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 03:17:01 PM »

Its not getting hot just keeps dumping pellets into the fire pot.  I started a fire in the fire pot to help it get going and that worked as a short term solution.  It was actually a lot easier in that fire pot than in the cylindrical fire pots when trying to start a fire.  In those, you need a raging fire before you turn on the unit so the fan doesn't blow out the fire.  In the Memphis I started the fire after about 5 minutes of no temp increase and no sign of a fire starting on its own.  Had no problem starting it up while the fan was blowing.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 01:03:38 PM »

Just ordered my igniter from Memphis.  They emailed me a link to a youtube video with installation instructions that looked like even someone of my mechanical skills could handle on their own.  It may be several weeks before I get around to doing the job.  I suspect the last weekend in March most likely depending on the weather.
Pages: [1]   Go Up