Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Brisket Cook  (Read 394 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Recent Brisket Cook
« on: September 18, 2020, 06:08:33 PM »

I put a 15# prime packer brisket in the fridge to thaw to cook for Labor Day weekend.  Well, I never made it that weekend.  So, last Saturday, I got it out and trimmed all of the fat off of it and split into the two parts.  Rubbed with Smoking Guns rub and Weber Chicago Steak seasoning, Weber Garlic Jalapeno seasoning, and Weber caramelized onion seasoning.  Had the Elite up to temp of 275° and threw on the pit.  Three hours later, I was convinced by my cousins to drive 45 minutes north to meet them at a lakehouse for one of their bachelor party with about 20 guys.  So, I pulled the brisket off the smoker, threw in an aluminum pan, covered with foil, and put in the fridge.

2 days later, I put it back on the smoker wrapped in butchers paper and cooked at 275° for about 9-10 hours.  Here are pics of what it ended up like.  I just vac sealed it in portions and threw in the freezer.  I think it turned out pretty good for a not so conventional cooking method of splitting over a few days (and not sous vide).

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Recent Brisket Cook
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 06:09:37 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 08:01:59 PM »

Looks great

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 08:28:17 PM »

Hahaha. I can imagine myself having that internal debate on what to do. Bachelor party, or brisket. I would have chosen bachelor party too. 
Glad the cook worked out. Looks great.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 08:35:31 PM »

Were you able to get it as tender as you wanted?  Did it stay moist?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »

Were you able to get it as tender as you wanted?  Did it stay moist?

Yes and yes.  And, I was surprised at the crust and smoke ring after only 3 hours on the smoker not wrapped in butcher paper.  We will see how the vac sealed packs end up turning out when I start eating them.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 11:35:45 PM »

When I pulled it off the smoker it was in the 200°-205° range and it the probe went into the meat without resistance so I pulled it off the smoker at that point.

Moral of the story is a piece of meat can be forgiving as long as you are nice to it.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 07:16:06 AM »

You must have been very nice to that meat. Amazingly good looking.

Your alternate cooking method is most interesting. It would be interesting to see if others try this delay method, what their results would be.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 11:37:32 AM »

Hahaha. I can imagine myself having that internal debate on what to do. Bachelor party, or brisket. I would have chosen bachelor party too. 
Glad the cook worked out. Looks great.

Very simple, take the brisket to the bachelor party.  ;D

I put a 15# prime packer brisket in the fridge to thaw to cook for Labor Day weekend.  Well, I never made it that weekend.  So, last Saturday, I got it out and trimmed all of the fat off of it and split into the two parts.  Rubbed with Smoking Guns rub and Weber Chicago Steak seasoning, Weber Garlic Jalapeno seasoning, and Weber caramelized onion seasoning.  Had the Elite up to temp of 275° and threw on the pit.  Three hours later, I was convinced by my cousins to drive 45 minutes north to meet them at a lakehouse for one of their bachelor party with about 20 guys.  So, I pulled the brisket off the smoker, threw in an aluminum pan, covered with foil, and put in the fridge.

2 days later, I put it back on the smoker wrapped in butchers paper and cooked at 275° for about 9-10 hours.  Here are pics of what it ended up like.  I just vac sealed it in portions and threw in the freezer.  I think it turned out pretty good for a not so conventional cooking method of splitting over a few days (and not sous vide).

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Looks tasty...  :clap:
With just two of us, we do same, freeze a good portion of the cooked meat in vacuum sealed meal sized packages.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven
Pages: [1]   Go Up