Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by SmokinHandyman on 11 Sep 2020
  • Have any if you tried the Blues Hog brisket rub?
    I am thinking about getting some.
    I like their pork rub.
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 11 Sep 2020
  • Not I, I make my own.

Got this from JMoney on previous forum.

1      cup   Coarse Black Pepper
    1      cup   Kosher Salt
    1/4   cup   Granulated Onion
    1/4   cup   Ancho Powder
    1      tsp   Ground Cinnamon
    1     TBS   Cumin
    1     TBS   Chipotle Powder
    1     TBS   Mustard Powder

• #3 by dk117 on 12 Sep 2020
  • to answer your question no, I haven't.   I did buy some black ops rub oakridge rub.  It was very good, but I'm not convinced it was $20 better than my own rub.

these are all costco or cash n carry bulk spices.   And then you have the fun of changing the % and adding other elements to your taste. 
    1 coarse black pepper
    1/2 kosher salt
    dash of smoked paprika
    dash of garlic powder

I put this on two discounted choice briskets from Fred Meyer (Kroger) last weekend to rave reviews.  Probably top 3 brisket cooks (including primes from Costco) I've ever done.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 12 Sep 2020
  •  I haven't. As most of us have different senses of taste there is no way one person can tell an other what they will like, only what  they like. If you liked the Blues Hog pork rub give their brisket rub a go. It's the

only to find out. Then your mind will be @ ease.

• #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Sep 2020
  • I like to experiment.  I took some Smoking Guns beef rub that I had and mixed it with Weber Chicago Steak seasoning, Weber Garlic Jalapeno seasoning, and Weber caramelized onion seasoning.  I just rubbed that on a 15# prime brisket about an hour ago after I trimmed the fat off the brisket and split the point and the flat. Rubbed it down with the mixture and then put another layer of the garlic jalapeno on top of that.  Placed it on a preheated 275° set temp on the Elite.  I think once it gets in the 160° IT range, I will wrap in butchers paper and put back on until it is finished cooking.
  • #6 by urnmor on 12 Sep 2020
  • I go simple for my rub pepper, salt and sometime paprika.  Otherwise at least IMO it takes away form the taste of the brisket.
  • #7 by JoeGrilling on 14 Sep 2020
  • Salt, pepper and garlic work for me.  Harry Soo adds some celery salt as a 'secret flavor' which I haven't tried but it does sound interesting.
    He uses celery seed.  I tried his mix of salt, pepper, and celery seed.  The brisket turned out great.  It's a great alternative to the expensive prepared rubs.
  • #8 by Clonesmoker on 15 Sep 2020
  • The 50/50 kosher salt and restaurant grade black pepper. I get rave reviews on it so why go with anything else? Pretty standard, easy, and it works for me.
  • #9 by SmokinHandyman on 15 Sep 2020
  • I tried the Blues Hog beef rub on some NY. strips last night.
    We thought it was very good.
    Have not got to a brisket yet, but going to try it on some burgers tonight.
  • #10 by Ralphie on 18 Sep 2020
  • I experimented with a brisket a few weeks ago.  Kosher salt and black pepper only when I smoked it. Then I applied a store-bought rub right before I wrapped it and finished cooking.

I was very happy with the flavor and color. Rub ingredients were more distinguishable in the finished product.

Tip: If you try this method, be aware of the saltiness of your rub if you are using additional salt.
  • #11 by urnmor on 18 Sep 2020
  • If you want to be different, although I have never used it on brisket, try Old Bay.  I had it the other night on a ribeye topped with lump xxxx and it was very good
  • #12 by SmokinHandyman on 18 Sep 2020
  • I am doing it on a brisket Sunday
  • #13 by urnmor on 18 Sep 2020
  • I am doing it on a brisket Sunday

Please let me know how it taste
  • #14 by scdaf on 19 Sep 2020
  • After trying many different rubs, I'm back to Montreal Steak seasoning.  Like it as well as anything else and it's very inexpensive at Costco.
Pages:
Actions