Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

Are You Going to brine your turkey for the Thanksgiving Dinner?

Yes
- 46 (67.6%)
No
- 16 (23.5%)
Still Thinking About It
- 6 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turkey Brining for Thanksgiving  (Read 2578 times)

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Turkey Brining for Thanksgiving
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »

I'm going with the Pit Boys Apple Cider Turkey Brine this year.  Anybody ever tried it?

Apple cider -- 1 Gallon
Kosher salt -- 1 Cup
Dark brown sugar -- 1 Cup
Garlic cloves -- 10 (8-10)
Sliced ginger -- 20 Gram (handful)
Four Oranges, quartered
Apple cider vinegar -- 1⁄3 Cup
Water -- 1⁄2 Gallon (as needed)
Chili pepper flakes -- 2 Tablespoon
Ice

IN CAVITY OF TURKEY WHILE BRINING
a couple of Fresh rosemary sprigs
a couple of  Fresh thyme sprigs
Fresh sage

I tried it a few years ago and it came out good. The brine smelled great, but most of the flavors added to the brine will not permeate into the meat more than a few millimeters. I could not detect any flavor, other than turkey and salt in the finished bird. That was the last time I wet brined a bird and have since switched to dry brining.

Glassth

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 01:54:01 AM »

I have brined a few times for chicken and turkey.  I get a bit of 'hammy flavor'.  It's part of the change in the meat when you brine, science.  I notice it.  So I just inject.

I also only smoke turkeys about 12 lbs max due to the 'fridge' (34f-35f) to 140f in 4 hours.  Over that time that's when the nasties can grow if you got a bad turkey.  Problem is, you will never know if the turkey has baddies.  I smoke at lower temps than 375f to start, I want my rub, injection, spices to infuse, then crank it up.

Something to think about if you want to cook a 20lb turkey at 250f for 5 hours.  You're in the danger zone. 

Lotsa folks know this, this is for the ones who don't.  Food safety matters....

If you bring it to 165 degrees what kind of danger? I'm confused by this! Please help me out here!
Like putting smiles on the faces of the people eating the food off my pellet grill  Camp Chef smoke pro & Sear Burner Blackstone griddle

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »

Bacteria growth occurs between 40° and 130°. If you leave some foods at a temperature between those temperatures, your food may become contaminated. Most of the bacteria on chicken occurs during processing and is on the surface, since the pit is always above 130°, surface bacteria is eliminated almost instantaneously. 165° is the temperature that bacteria is destroyed instantaneously, however if you leave the food at 140° for 1 hour, full pasteurization is also achieved.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bob The Smoker

• Using less gas.
  • This is the last accessory I will ever need
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »

OK. I have decide to dry brine overnight. I am going to spatchcock the turkey to cook. Should I spatchcock before I dry brine or after?
Also do I just leave all that salt on the bird or should I rinse some of it off?
Traeger Lil Tex Elite Cold Smoker Side Attachment Weber Q Sous Vide

Bob The Smoker

• Using less gas.
  • This is the last accessory I will ever need
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 11:27:59 AM »

Bump
Traeger Lil Tex Elite Cold Smoker Side Attachment Weber Q Sous Vide

Redapple

• Using less gas.
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »

I will use a simple salt sugar brine overnight, maybe some aromatics in there such as Rosemary Thyme and Sage.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 03:46:11 PM »

This sounds like me...unless I remember and get the ingredients for Master Shakes Honey Brine...

Shake’s Honey Brine   

1 Cup Kosher Salt
2 Tbs Morton Tender Quick
3 Bay Leaves
1/4 Tsp Ground Clove
1/2 Tsp Pickling Spice (i used a combo of cinnamon and nutmeg)
1 Cup Honey
1 Gallon Water

I will use a simple salt sugar brine overnight, maybe some aromatics in there such as Rosemary Thyme and Sage.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 11:00:41 AM »

I want to do a dry brine for a whole turkey for our HOA Thanksgiving dinner.  There will be a total of 7 turkeys being cooked.  I will be smoking one of them. I have gone nuts looking for the perfect dry brine.  Right now between all of the recipes I want to use the following ingredients.   

I plan (unless someone tells me different) to dry rub the turkey today and smoking it on Wednesday (day of dinner).  I have read where sometimes the turkey is put in a bag for 24 hours and then uncovered for 8+ hours and then smoked.  Some articles have the turkey uncovered the entire time.  Sometimes the article says to rinse everything off and sometimes not.  What is the purpose of doing this and then rinse it all off.

This is from   

Unsalted butter
Kosher salt
Paprika - 1/4 teaspoon
Black pepper
Sage - 1 tablespoon
Thyme - 1 tablespoon
Parsley - 2 tablespoons
Sugar ?

Here is another one I am looking at
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:07:25 PM by Bentley »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »

I have quit doing the brine and buying fancy birds.  A few times the flavor has been off, like hammish and besides me folks have noticed :puke:.  Salt can change the texture of the meat if overdone, so be careful how long you brine if you want to. I just buy a good smallish (12lbs or so) that's has xxxx added (just salt) frozen turkey. I thaw the turkey rinse/clean, let dry in the fridge Tuesday.  Then do the classic Simon and Garfunkel rub inside the bird and under the skin using butter as my fat agent.  I like to put a few sage leaves under the skin on the breast cuz they show up when cooked.  That's Wed.  So Thur AM the turkey is ready to cook, I prep the outside with S/G rub and butter (GOOD BUTTER), the skin is dried, and it's ready to go.

I have injected and do think that is valid for in the breast area with a large turkey .   

Simon and Garfunkel rub.  Just a mix of spices, look it up.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Rockit

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 02:05:55 AM »

Dry brine.
I've done 6 test turkeys in the last month prepping for Thursday...

Inject w/butter.
Spatchcock.
Dry brine.
Cook at 325 w/apple pellets
Pull at 156-158.

Big Bear

• Using less gas.
  • "BBQ, the reason Pig was created!"
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »

I am a big fan of Alton Brown's Good Eats Episode entitled "Romancing the bird". That's where I learned about brining and I now enjoy the whole bird and not just the dark meat. Not to mention the the Sweet Corn Bread Pudding recipe he made. Is good!
Made in USA {2004}Lil Tex #7130 w\ Savannah Stoker v1 controller & retrofitted with SS drip pan, fire pot, HD flame shield & Modified with the Original Downdraft Scoop - 20 years old and Still Smoking!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up