Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Uuni3 Pellet Fired Pizza Oven  (Read 3027 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: Uuni3 Pellet Fired Pizza Oven
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »

I'm pretty experienced making pizzas, and I'm not sure either LSJ. I have no doubt I could turn out good results with it, but no temperature control in that small of an oven could cause some chaos. In a big wood fired oven, you don't really have control either, but the oven floor could vary widely in temps. I've made pizza in my fireplace before, and the results looked similar to the unni. Some perfect, and some very uneven. I wish some people would do YouTube videos after they get the hang of it more. It seems most of them get it out of the box, and record their first pizza. I never understood why people do so many YouTube videos on their first time using the product. Most of the pizza I see coming out of them looks very first try worthy, and not very desirable on the whole.

The cookshack pizza oven does seem to have the right idea with pellets, but that is geared toward commercial use. At least by the price it is.

I do not think that the Blackstone is a very attractive piece of equipment, but I can definitely tell you that it kills it for what it is designed to do. Super consistent, no guesswork, and huge temp range that can be dialed in however you like.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 12:29:40 PM »

Yeah, but I have cooked pizza in these and I have yet to find the thermostat...What makes you think the smaller space is going to change the dynamic?  You do not think the temperature is going to stabilize?  It is kind of the reason why pies have to be tended, right?  I do think uniformity of surface throughout the cooking chamber would make that much better, but I guess then it all comes down to price point and shipping weight.

Bacon is a Gateway Food...

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »

I always figured the radiant heat from the stone/tile roof of one of those brick ovens was what sort of stabilized the baking conditions in one of these.  I think that with skill and experience the person tending the oven could get similar temperatures day in and day out... in part they can do that because the oven has so much heat mass, that minor or even relatively large fluctuations in ambient conditions will be dampened by the heat mass...   Not only would the heat mass dampen variations in ambient conditions, I assume that the heat mass also tends to be one of the main heating forces at work, where the flames themselves would tend to blend in with the heat radiating from the stone/brick.   

So... with a thin piece of stainless steel as the roof, I don't think you have that mass, and probably don't have nearly as much radiant heat either, so the flames themselves become the dominant heat source on the top side of the oven.  When a cold wind blows and/or the oxygen to the pellets is reduced do to various atmospheric conditions, that flame source would very likely fluctuate in temperature, etc...  So, without the thermal mass, my concern is that heating driven almost solely by the flame itself becomes less predicable. Especially since the amount of oxygen is governed by many external but mostly passive forces.. ( no fan ). 

So, I see a real brick oven , being the stabilizer, and the thin sheet materials of a Uni as having little to stabilize the temperatures...
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »

Your thoughts on the stone/tile rigs is pretty spot on imho.  Plus the way they work the operator can really let the fire burn down to let temps drop as needed and they can physically manipulate the coals and such.  Not possible with a uuni burner design and the pellet fuel setup and that is above and beyond the mass issue.

The Uuni's are designed to cook at high temp and in a relatively narrow temp range.  They are not on oven you are going to dial back and cook pizza @ 400 or 500* with I do not think.  You can bring temps down, but that is just not what they are designed for.  They are designed for 700-900* pizza cook.  90second cook is what they promote and from all the owners I have heard/talked to that is an accurate cook time.  That sort of cook creates a specific style of pizza and usually needs a specific dough I think with higher water content than typical?  Iif that is not the sort of pizza you enjoy or are after, the Uuni may not be the best choice for you, it is definitely not for everyone.  But they are very good at that hot fast  pizza cooking style.

If you want help or to learn and get ideas from other owners I highly recommend you join one of the Uuni groups around, there is a very active international one the highly popular social media website.  They are always sharing tips, and such.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 03:06:54 PM »

The above replies are pretty much a very detailed version of what I was getting at. To break it down to one single point for me would simply be the proximity of the flame to the pie. The flame is too intense, and the pie too close. With constant manipulation I'm sure it would work fine, but in a real brick oven, you may spin once and then dome it. If you are constantly turning the bottom is hardly ever actually in contact with the cooking surface.

Most of the videos you see there is a very concentrated char on the bottom half of the lip of the crust, with the upper crust lip relatively pale in comparison. I'm guessing the bottom of those pies is extremely burnt, not just nicely charred. The uneven charring on the lip is a very good indication of uneven heat, which as pointed out above is most likely due to the metal roof.

I'm not dogging the oven either. I think it's a cool little invention, and have no doubt skilled pizza makers would be able to work it out. It seems less beginner friendly than some other options. I'd like to see some skilled pizza makers due some youtube Vids. Mostly seems like first timers from what I've seen. Even the owner videos look pretty uneven most of the time.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »

Someone email them and tell them I a ready to do a Product review for them...they never listen to me!

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »

Someone email them and tell them I a ready to do a Product review for them...they never listen to me!

Tell me if this is crazy, but I kind of like the idea. You take up a collection from PF. It has to be the same amount. Say 10 or 20 dollar donations. Once you have enough, you purchase the product. Do your test. Then raffle off to only those who donated. Say 10 is the number. If you pitch in 20, you get 2 entries. 30 for 3, etc. So say you?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 05:28:35 PM »

Interesting concept...One benefit of the size of Pelletheads, was at the end, folks would take my call, not because it was Bentley calling, but it was Pelletheads knocking...10 years and 2 million page views a month did turn some heads!

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 06:29:27 PM »

Tell me if this is crazy, but I kind of like the idea. You take up a collection from PF. It has to be the same amount. Say 10 or 20 dollar donations. Once you have enough, you purchase the product. Do your test. Then raffle off to only those who donated. Say 10 is the number. If you pitch in 20, you get 2 entries. 30 for 3, etc. So say you?
I have to say that is a pretty darn cool idea. 
Maybe onthe front side have a poll offering a few options on next unit to review, followed by the above motioned donation/lottery to fund the winner of that pole?  Then random drawing for the unit after the review is done?  THat way THe Mods have a way to see what people are interested in before choosing and setting up the donation drive..

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 12:05:32 PM »

I concur that it's a interesting idea, might be worth trying...
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

scooter

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 03:45:40 AM »

Since I've found a way to consistently cook pizza's on the Uuni3 in under 2 mins without burning them I'll video the process at the next opportunity, put it up on YouTube and post a link here.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 06:30:19 AM »

Since I've found a way to consistently cook pizza's on the Uuni3 in under 2 mins without burning them I'll video the process at the next opportunity, put it up on YouTube and post a link here.

Wow - that is fast.  That is not even time to drink a beer.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 06:30:47 AM »

Thanks. Look forward to it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »

Wow - that is fast.  That is not even time to drink a beer.

Well, that depends on who is drinking it. ;)
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »

Please Do NOT post it on this site until our Product Review is finished!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up