Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making Sauerkraut  (Read 1491 times)

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
Re: Making Sauerkraut
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 09:29:46 PM »

How to get rid of the sour taste...

then it would just be kraut ;D

Your right on that one Lew!!   :rotf:

What I do as I like mine a bit more on the mild side, is at 2 weeks I open it up taste it. I do like to taste the cabbage in it.

If I like it, I'm done. Either bag it and put in the fridge or freeze it.

If it's to mild, I cover it back up and try again either in a few days or a week and go from there.
FE PG 1000

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 09:57:52 PM »

He doesn't like kraut as a rule, but a while back we went to a local German restaurant and he had a trio of brats with kraut.  The kraut was good, but with a little sweetness.  I thought they maybe just cooked it in something, but Bent thought they made it fresh that way because I think they said something about making their own.

NorCal Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »

Thanks for the info. Always wanted to make my own.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »

Bentley, you would have liked this as it was not sour and kinda sweet.  Had it on Maxwell St in Chicago Oct 2016.

WiPelletHead - apologize for highjacking your thread with this but wanted to throw out an alternative to Bentley
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »

Yes, I would like that right now very much!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 05:28:45 AM »

Here’s a website for other things fermented besides kraut. Lots of good ideas here.

https://www.masontops.com/blogs/masontops-blog/tagged/recipe-with-pickle-pipe
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

mrtune

• Using less gas.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 07:03:49 AM »

This reminds me of my younger days. My father would always make homemade Kraut and I would help. No recipe, just a large crock jar, large plate and a clean rock. I can remember slicing it on a old Kraut cutter and he would add salt then I would tamp it in with a wooden tamper. Usually a old cut off broom handle that had been cleaned up. When we had it done he would put a plate upside down and put the rock on it to hold down the cabbage. The rock would always be cleaned, usually a good scrubbing with a brush, with soap and water then rinsed very well. The cabbage was usually grown in his garden or sometimes he would purchase large heads from the local Hutterite Colony. He would always try to keep it in a different room because the smell after awhile gets tiresome but it was always the best Kraut!! Never had a mess up.  Once you eat homemade Kraut it is hard to go back to the store bought kind.  Also today Jan 12 would have been his 95th birthday!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 07:44:55 AM »

Yes, I would like that right now very much!

What else would you use that "kraut" in the picture with?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »

Probably nothing, maybe sauerbraten...

kruz805

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »

So as ridiculously stupid as this questions sounds...I love cabbage, love Kimchi...How do I get the sour, acidic taste out of the Kraut!

Having a lot of brewing experience to include sour beers and wild yeast strains, you can't get rid of it as the Lactobacillus that is on the leaves of the cabbage (wild yeast) that ferments the cabbage.  It is the leading yeast strain that breaks down the sugars in the cabbage and release alcohol and lactic acid.  Its the lactic acid taste that you do not care for.  So, unless you introduce another type of wild yeast that can propagate faster and beat out Lacto, you won't be able to change the taste.  Kimchee is also fermented but with the additions of spices and other ingredients, the sourness is not as evident.  You could try kraut recipes that have beets, carrots or hot peppers added to hide the tartness.  Rinsing the kraut under water helps remove some of the sourness also.
Rec Tec  Broilmaster Grill Certified Beer Judge

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 03:04:56 PM »

OK, I am hearing that sweetness and spices need to be added to counter act that tart, sour, acidic flavor...and I am up for the challenge.  I just can't figure out where to get this Kraut cabbage heads, so I guess I have to grow them and that means no Kraut production till probably late June...

KeithG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 04:48:03 PM »

Here’s what I typically do with my homemade kraut.  Note, I understand cooking the kraut destroys the probiotics so health benefits are less.

Make a dark roux using bacon fat and flour.
When the roux color is to your liking slowly whisk in a cup of beer, my favorites are German dark beers but have used everything from Guinness to Blue Moon.
Add kraut plus a teaspoon of caraway seeds or to taste.
Let braise for 30 to 45 minutes. Enjoy
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up