Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: First Restaurant Depot Visit  (Read 4931 times)

heffneil

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: First Restaurant Depot Visit
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »

Yes I used my KCBS membership and what was odd is that the lady didn't read it properly and she issues me a card! So now as long as I use it once a month it will continue to work!  I was at GFS (Gordon Food Service) where I bought a 11 pound boneless turkey roast and they had briskets. They weren't prime.

I asked someone in the big walk in area - he said he never ran across them but he has only worked there for a week and a half :)

I was trying to avoid frozen but its impossible it has to be frozen.  I don't think poultry suffers from freezing like beef.

In terms of ribs they were sold out of baby back and st louis spares.  I lie I saw one pack of st louis and I thought they looked weak compared to costco.  Honestly I don't think their prices are much better than anywhere else it was just the quantity and the unique products that got me to go there (prime brisket)

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »

Yes I used my KCBS membership and what was odd is that the lady didn't read it properly and she issues me a card! So now as long as I use it once a month it will continue to work! 

Lucky You. I have been trying to convince the staff at my RD to give me a card but they will not. Good job.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 02:32:39 PM »

My experience with them says just the opposite...Never seen prime in ours, some of their butter, cheese and deli meats prices are much better then supermarket, and they have many different levels of quality too!

I wonder if I should cook them a little lower since they are prime.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:37:38 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »

Hmm...I wonder if my now dormant one-man architectural practice would qualify for a membership. I don't have a tax ID, since it was a professional services firm and didn't resell anything. About all I could show them is my registration certificate from the Secretary of State's office and my old company checkbook.

Or, as others have said, I guess I could join KCBS, but in looking at their website I don't know that I'd get much value from the membership, other than the day passes to RD. And we don't cook enough to amortize that effectively across a year's worth of meat purchases.

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 12:12:30 AM »

My favorite meat that I can't find anywhere else is the 'denuded' eye of round, a whole roast averaging 4 lbs. Its the leanest, cleanest, most pristine piece of beef I've used for jerky. My store in Oregon sells them by the unit at $3.09 lb (or so, it's been a while).

foodr, that is a great price for eye of round. I would cook it more often if I could get it at that price. What I usually see it $3.99+/lb.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

stljrs

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 07:12:23 PM »

We're fortunate.  Have friend in the restaurant business and he let's us use him for day passes.  I think overall Costco's meat, especially the Prime packers is better and sometimes the same price as RD's Angus but RD has a better overall selection.  But my Costco doesn't carry plate ribs and while I've yet to get them at RD because we don't go there that frequently, I know they do carry them; they just sell out  of them.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 07:33:11 PM »

Their Chuck ribs are even better!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

heffneil

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »

The brisket (Prime) at RD has been phenomenal.  People like it so much I sometimes want to open a restaurant then reality settles in :)

I went back to RD today and I bought some plate ribs which I am excited about.  FYI they have a price per pound like $3.32 and then if you bought over a certain amount it went to like $3.03.  The amount used to be 48ish lbs.  I know because i've bought 4 full packers and got the discount.  Now the minimum for the discount is 74 pounds! thats crazy! thats like 7 brisket! I bought a case which the guy told me would be case price - it wasn't :(

Just keep an eye out but its on the rise in that regard!

triplebq

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. I visit RD quite a bit and the case weight for discount usually is 51 pounds. Moving it to 74 pounds makes me want to  :'(

triplebq

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »

I frequent my local RD quite often. This is where I get all of my large cuts. I always find the boneless turkey breast in the freezer section inside the big cooler. Next time you go ask one of the people working there where they are located.
Triplebq Are these the ones packed two to a box, in either foil or cooking bag? If so, are they whole breast as opposed to a pressed meat loaf in netting? I’m hoping for whole breast for a jerky option.

Yes these are the ones that are two in a box. Each of the packs contain 2 or 3 turkey breast. What I do is just thaw them out and the breasts will fall apart after you remove them from the foil.

heffneil

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 10:13:11 PM »

I buy the turkey from GFS they have a mix of dark and white meat in foil or just white meat.  I like the mix.  I unwrap it after thawing and use Montreal Chicken in the FEC120.  Its fantastic - but since it isn't netted it will fall apart.  They want you to cook it in the oven with the foil on but in our case we want smoke. I try to move quick and keep it looking like a mound it originally looked like :).  If anyone is aware of a mesh bag that is ok in 400+ degrees that I could use once or reusable let me know! I looked all over and couldn't find one.  Its just too much of a mess to tie with string.  Its like trying to stop the leak from the dam with my finger :)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 11:28:48 PM »

I buy the turkey from GFS they have a mix of dark and white meat in foil or just white meat.  I like the mix.  I unwrap it after thawing and use Montreal Chicken in the FEC120.  Its fantastic - but since it isn't netted it will fall apart.  They want you to cook it in the oven with the foil on but in our case we want smoke. I try to move quick and keep it looking like a mound it originally looked like :).  If anyone is aware of a mesh bag that is ok in 400+ degrees that I could use once or reusable let me know! I looked all over and couldn't find one.  Its just too much of a mess to tie with string.  Its like trying to stop the leak from the dam with my finger :)

Wrap it in a frog mat
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

triplebq

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »

Wrap it in a frog mat

Thanks a great idea

triplebq

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »

The thing I like about the ones I get from RD is that I can take the breast apart. This is a post on how I do them. https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=453.msg3870#msg3870

heffneil

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 10:47:14 PM »

How do you wrap a frog mat around something and tie is up?  I bought some big sausage wrap and I am going to try it Sunday.  I will try to take some pics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up