Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: So, what about SAM'S Club?  (Read 2124 times)

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
So, what about SAM'S Club?
« on: January 23, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »

Recently I started a top with specific interest to Costco members. Now there are about four pages of comments on the stores.

I don't have a Costco near me and have a Sam's Club about 20 minutes away in Holland.
So, what are your thoughts about Sam's Club (Other than it's in kahoots with WalMart -Big Deal)

Recently, I visited a Sams Club in Florence, KY and I saw that they have a selection if USDA Prime Beef.
That store certainly is in a different distribution network than my store, as I have not seen prime at all. Any other locations for prime?

There certainly must be a similarity between stores. Hey, what about those out there that have memberships in both clubs. AYE?
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
Re: So, what about SAM'S Club?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »

I've had memberships to both over the years. Now I'm a strong Costco user and won't bother with Sam's anymore.

They're both very similar but I find the general quality of stuff and in particular the awesome "Kirkland Signature" private brand at Costco to be much better.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »

At least in Topeka, KS. We have never seen prime. We were members of Costco for probably 15? years plus and truly saw prime all the time plus it sure seems to me that you could find meat selections more varied.  Could find pork belly almost always.  The thing both have in common is you sure can't count on anything being there the next time. Hated that. Short of that we didn't see a whole lot of difference although Costco employees truly were more helpful but hard to find other than the front as mentioned previously.
Kansas City for Costco it is too far to make it worthwhile.

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »

There isn't a Sams Club near me so i use Costco, BJs, and Restaurant Depot.

Preference is Costco. BJs when Costco is closed and Restaurant Depot to source Briskets.

Prime selection in Costcos in the  North East is very limited.  Prime ribeye, filets, and NY Strips.  And I think Porterhouse but that's just filets and NY strip before they are deconstructed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »

They recently closed a bunch of Sam's Clubs including the one nearest me. In all I believe that I read that 63 stores would be closed nation wide.  :(
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »

I have a Sam's Club, Costco, Restaurant Depot, and Chef Store close to me. My local Costco is always packed and I only get gas from there. I do like the Lime Cilantro shrimp but I hardly purchase it because it takes too long to check out. I use Sam's Club mostly for household bulk items. My big meats come from RD and some time Chef Store.

We all use what works best for us I guess.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

ScottWood

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »

When I lived in Arizona we had a Sam's Club about 2 miles from our house, used them all the time.  We were actually members of both and used both for different things.

When we moved back home to the PNW the closest Sams was about 50 miles away and it didn't make sense to keep our membership.  It's gotten even worse now, that store was one of the ones in the recent group of closures, and it makes even less sense to try to get to a store.  One thing I did like about Sam's Club though was that they sponsored BBQ competitions in a really big way.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

lamrith

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »

When I lived in Arizona we had a Sam's Club about 2 miles from our house, used them all the time.  We were actually members of both and used both for different things.

When we moved back home to the PNW the closest Sams was about 50 miles away and it didn't make sense to keep our membership.  It's gotten even worse now, that store was one of the ones in the recent group of closures, and it makes even less sense to try to get to a store.  One thing I did like about Sam's Club though was that they sponsored BBQ competitions in a really big way.
Yeah the more I hear the reports it almost sounds like they closed all the PNW located Sam's clubs.  Closest to me was about 20miles north, that one and the next three going north all got chopped.  Pretty much all the locations in central puget sound.  Sort of makes sense since this is Costco's home turf, but still sad to see.

ScottWood

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »

Yeah the more I hear the reports it almost sounds like they closed all the PNW located Sam's clubs.  Closest to me was about 20miles north, that one and the next three going north all got chopped.  Pretty much all the locations in central puget sound.  Sort of makes sense since this is Costco's home turf, but still sad to see.

That one that is 20 miles north of you is the one that is 50 north of me.  :-)
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

Greg1

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 06:24:57 PM »

My closest Sam's Club has a limited supply of prime beef we haven't made a purchase of it yet but will certainly try some steaks this spring.  Our closest Costco is 40 miles away got a free membership thru work.  Going to get some briskest there soon.  I have been there several different days and times looking around but those lines at the checkout are just crazy.  So that has kept me from making any 2 or 3 item purchases.
Louisiana LG900 Traeger Texas Elite 34 Big Horn SRPG 1093

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »

BTW, if your local or nearest Sam's club closed, you can get a refund of your membership fee at this site:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/html/best-deals/update.html
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »

We had 2 BJs close a few years back. But luckily one of them reopened about 6 months ago. I was able to get a refund on my membership since the one I used was closed.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

MMike

• Having fun!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 08:55:47 PM »

Well Trooper I see the Costco on Wilson is about 50 minutes from your house.
Maybe if you made an "outing" it would be worth the trip.
They've got a really good pizza and hot dog stand in the store.
Cheap too.

Yoder 640s

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »

Well Trooper I see the Costco on Wilson is about 50 minutes from your house.
Maybe if you made an "outing" it would be worth the trip.
They've got a really good pizza and hot dog stand in the store.
Cheap too.

Yeah, but they don't sell those ice cream bars any more.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »

But their ice cream in a cup is pretty good.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up