Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Screw Productions Presents-Bent's Sous Vide...  (Read 7039 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Cheap Screw Productions Presents-Bent's Sous Vide...
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »

Did you or would you in the future add any flavoured butter, seasonings or herbs to the vacuum bag

I was going to ask the same thing.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

TechMOGogy

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »

Sous vide eggs rock
Steaks, not so much, I am with Jay on this one.
When I was trying it I set it at 125 and then with a bbq sear it went to 135 where I wanted it.
I hear fish is great but I don’t eat much of it so have not tried it
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 12:28:19 PM »

I love my Anova and can't see how a crockpot could ever replace it. Sure. you can add an external power regulator, but now yer up to the price point of the Anova.

What sold me on it was the fact that I could get eggs done to perfection every time. I do two dozen at a time in the coleman stacker and they will last weeks in the fridge after cooking. It's also my go to for reheating vac sealed and frozen items. No more thawing and microwaving that blisters parts of the food. No more heating the oven to 'warm' it up.

The Anova, with another 50 bucks, is some of the best money I've ever spent.  :2cents:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »

No, I did not even put salt n pepper on it. I get to focused on the moment and lose touch with what should be done.  I did not try this, but with this cut, it needed a great deal of help with flavor, it probably would have been a great idea.

That is why if I were ever going to serve beef that was having a sauce, forget searing, charring, grilling.  This is it!  Like I said, to take a piece of meat that I know if I had cook to the same temperature in an oven, pellet pit, pan, crock pot with no water...there is no way it is this tender.  And I never have to worry about over cooking it or is the potato's or corn or muffins or sauce ready...it sits in the water till EVERYTHING is on the table, then it is brought out sliced and sauced...

Did you or would you in the future add any flavoured butter, seasonings or herbs to the vacuum bag

That is what I have heard...I wanna say 61°c is the number I have seen on shows when folks have been doing them.  If that is right, then 140°f is perfect.  I would like to go try it righ now, but don't know if the eggs are cracked, then put in bag, or just dumped in water?  If put in bag, gotta figured out how to seal...may just try zip lock right now.  Nice thing about slow cooker, heat on all sides so circulation does not seem important!

Sous vide eggs rock
Steaks, not so much, I am with Jay on this one.
When I was trying it I set it at 125 and then with a bbq sear it went to 135 where I wanted it.
I hear fish is great but I don’t eat much of it so have not tried it
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:39:10 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »

So, with this Anova device, can you place the cook pot anywhere or does it need to be on a stove top with the element turn onto a certain temp?  Does it have to be a certain type of material cooking pot?  Or, does it just need to be deep enough to put the device, food, and water into it?  I am intrigued now.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 12:50:29 PM »

I think you can hook those things up to 120 Quart coolers!  I think there is a photo on here from Zypher with his custom rig going into a cooler...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:53:24 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 12:55:58 PM »

I gotta admit, that would probably be the set up.  Bring out of guest closet, set up, cook, drain, put back in guest closet!  I just don't see my self spending 2 hours to have a steak...but man if you want to impress folks with your beef and you are into sauces...fugetaboutit...

Bobitis

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 01:08:40 PM »

So, with this Anova device, can you place the cook pot anywhere or does it need to be on a stove top with the element turn onto a certain temp?  Does it have to be a certain type of material cooking pot?  Or, does it just need to be deep enough to put the device, food, and water into it?  I am intrigued now.

Any vessel will work. It's your choice. I have a 12 qt acrylic (w/lid) container for small jobs, and a coleman 25 qt stacker with a hole drilled for the anova in the lid for bigger cooks. Some worry about PCB's in there food storage products, as they should. Neither of my tanks have this issue. I also got a soldering/welding blanket a few years ago for my Jr. and it was too small. I cut it up and fitted it around/under the acrylic chamber as an insulating media. Works great! The 12 qt heat/liquid loss is minimal. The coleman heat/liquid loss is pretty much non-existent. You can use the anova with any pot, but the lid won't fit so yer heat/liquid loss will be a factor. ie, pay attention. You can use plastic wrap to help seal the top but it's a pain.

I place the acrylic pot on a cutting board on the counter top just to be safe. I doubt it gets any more than room temp. When I use the coleman, it goes right on the table.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »

This would definitely be something I would be interested in going in on another raffle/auction product review.  I more questions but will hold out to see if we have a product review.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »

For you all that have these devices...help me understand..  If you don't have a vac sealer and bags, you are in for at least another $70-$80 now days even with a cheap one?  So it really is not a $100 cooking device...what am I missing?

Bobitis

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »

For you all that have these devices...help me understand..  If you don't have a vac sealer and bags, you are in for at least another $70-$80 now days even with a cheap one?  So it really is not a $100 cooking device...what am I missing?

Suck the air outta a ziplock and yer good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZPLF0ezw8

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 01:38:31 PM »

I also got a soldering/welding blanket a few years ago for my Jr. and it was too small. I cut it up and fitted it around/under the acrylic chamber as an insulating media. Works great! The 12 qt heat/liquid loss is minimal.

This is what I did for my 12 Qt. container. The custom lid and blanket were purchased on Amazon.  :cool:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »

Cheap alternative...Thanks.  I just assumed it had to be vac sealed.

Suck the air outta a ziplock and yer good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZPLF0ezw8

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »

Thanks to the cheap screw who started this thread.  It is interesting.  I may have to buy a kindle sous vide recipe book on the cheap before I determine if I really need one of these gadgets.

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2018, 02:56:23 PM »

The only way I'll cook pork chops is with my SV.  SV for a few hrs at 135*, then into a hot skillet to sear and bring up to temp. Sooooo good.  I've cold smoked them for a hr, then vac seal and into the SV. If you make summer sausage, you know how long it can take in the smoker. I've had batches take 16hrs. I now smoke to a IT of 135 to 140*. Then into the SV. Total cook time is around  6-7 hrs, then into the ice water bath.

And Bent, you really can't count the cost of the vac sealer into the equation because you'll be using it for many other food related tasks beside SV. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up