Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: RT680 + rain  (Read 4535 times)

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: RT680 + rain
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 09:23:08 PM »

I have mine in the back patio under the rec tec cover but the cover from rec tec isnt 100% waterproof.  If rain sits on the cover for a while the body does get wet.  I have noticed some rust along the top and bottom edge of the body where the door sits.  At some point will need to sand and repaint.  I want to take all the paint off and use a ceramic caliper paint for the entire body and door but not sure if its worth the trouble

Ive never had any mold issue with the rectec even though its not my go to pit.  I have gmg JB with wifi that gets used the most.  Once the rectec wifi controller is for sale the rectec will be my go to.

During rough weather I have a large patio umbrella that will keep my both pits underneath to offer some protection but it does get a bit wet.  i make sure the pellet hopper is centered in the umbrella.  In two years of using both never had a weather related issue.

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 09:53:54 PM »

I have mine in the back patio under the rec tec cover but the cover from rec tec isnt 100% waterproof.  If rain sits on the cover for a while the body does get wet.  I have noticed some rust along the top and bottom edge of the body where the door sits.  At some point will need to sand and repaint.  I want to take all the paint off and use a ceramic caliper paint for the entire body and door but not sure if its worth the trouble

Ive never had any mold issue with the rectec even though its not my go to pit.  I have gmg JB with wifi that gets used the most.  Once the rectec wifi controller is for sale the rectec will be my go to.

During rough weather I have a large patio umbrella that will keep my both pits underneath to offer some protection but it does get a bit wet.  i make sure the pellet hopper is centered in the umbrella.  In two years of using both never had a weather related issue.

Nice, thanks for the input. I may have to look into some kind of umbrella/canopy until I get something more permanent constructed. Long term goal is a BBQ shed :)
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »

I use an patio umbrella
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 12:10:38 PM »

Quadman750: Correct me if I am wrong. You have room for more pits there..Kind of looks like my place until I downsized to four pits.

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 09:45:51 PM »

I would like to see a FEC120 on there one day

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:51 PM »

Hey Quadman, can't remember if you showed that arsenal uncovered, but would be a great  pic to see!  Sorry Batman, did not mean to hijack your post.  I do keep my pit out in the elements with a cover.  I have cooked many times in rain and snow, but have a extendable awning I use to cover the pit/me during cooking.  Yep, I cheat.  My RT 680 pit is relatively new, coming up on 1 year, and so far shows no sign of any weather issues, and moisture has not been an issue.

Th3Batman86

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 10:47:10 PM »

Hey Quadman, can't remember if you showed that arsenal uncovered, but would be a great  pic to see!  Sorry Batman, did not mean to hijack your post.  I do keep my pit out in the elements with a cover.  I have cooked many times in rain and snow, but have a extendable awning I use to cover the pit/me during cooking.  Yep, I cheat.  My RT 680 pit is relatively new, coming up on 1 year, and so far shows no sign of any weather issues, and moisture has not been an issue.

No need to apologize, we are all friends here! My wife fears that someday our patio will look like that. If only I am so lucky.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 07:09:49 AM »

I don’t think I have a pic of it uncovered,some put away for winter. If I remember in the spring I will get a pic & post.

Canadian John

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 07:35:50 AM »

Perhaps Uncle Bent would generate a survey as to who has the most pits..

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 08:12:26 AM »

Canadian John

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »

I missed that one big time! Thanks Kristin.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »

Take it from an old electronics engineer, any time you expose the electronics to a moist environment, you are asking for trouble.   :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Th3Batman86

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »

Take it from an old electronics engineer, any time you expose the electronics to a moist environment, you are asking for trouble.   :2cents:

This was my thought. That's why I was asking others their experiences.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up