Pages:
Actions
  • #136 by Bentley on 04 May 2018
  • I started at 140° and I am really not sure how long after I started it I lowered it to 135° for the remainder of the cook (majority of the 22 hours).

It looks very tasty, what temp did you do this at?
  • #137 by Bentley on 05 May 2018
  • Well, I like sous vide cooking, but it did not help this meal.  The meat needs to cook in the sauce to give it that depth of flavor, so I will never sous vide my Chili Colorado again!
  • #138 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 May 2018
  • That is unfortunate that it didn't work out for you.  Will you sous vide another chuck roast?  If so, what will you use it for or how will you serve it?
  • #139 by Bentley on 05 May 2018
  • I am doubting it.  I think the flavor loss when a piece of meat sous vide instead of braised is not for me.  I will just have to keep cooking with it and see what it excels at!
  • #140 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 May 2018
  • I am doubting it.  I think the flavor loss when a piece of meat sous vide instead of braised is not for me.  I will just have to keep cooking with it and see what it excels at!

Maybe you can try to marinade or spices in the vac seal with the meat.  Or smoke for a bit prior to vac seal and sous vide.
  • #141 by hughver on 06 May 2018
  • Or smoke for a bit prior to vac seal and sous vide.

I virtually smoke all meats to an IT of 110-120° before I sous vide and nearly always sear afterward.
  • #142 by Bentley on 06 Jul 2018
  • I am to lazy to reread this thread.  I put a Costco Prime Brisket in the water, it is probably 9+-lbs, as about 1/3 of it was cut off on the flat end.  I am at 135°, and I have the Chefman set for 56 hours...but I read in different guides I should go 24?  Am I good to go at 56 hours?
  • #143 by Bentley on 06 Jul 2018
  • The 2 sites I have used in my very limited sous vide cook...Neither has a chart for pounds, or mass.    ChefSteps says Steak, Roast & tough cuts (Here’s where sous vide shines brightest—you’ll be blown away the first time you slowly cook a cheaper cut like brisket or chuck, converting it into something with great flavor and texture.) The other ChefMate as I look over it has no advice for cooking a Brisket!

ChefSteps says Medium is 149° for 12-48 hours, with 24 being the sweet spot, but absolutely no help with mass or weight of item being cooked.  So I guess I will go 48 and see where we are, can always bag it back up and cook!
  • #144 by Bentley on 06 Jul 2018
  • More internet research!  I guess I will opt for choice #2 and see if this guy know what he is talking about...Time to start getting some research in on this device anyway!  See you in 36 hours!

135°F for 36 to 72 hours Firm and meaty, like a tender steak
    155°F for 24 to 36 hours Extra moist, with a traditional texture

• #145 by Bentley on 08 Jul 2018
  • 155° for 36 hours was a winner!  I then put it on the Memphis at 200° for 2 hours.  It is now cubed and in the renderings along with some Kraft Original in a steam pan at 300°.  Will see if we can boil off the moisture and get the cubes coated.  3.8lbs of rendered fat and juices, and another pound of sliced fat, so an appx 9lb hunk of brisket will yield about 4lbs of burnt ends...Now ya know why the stuff is $16-$20/lb at joints!

I do not cook a lot of brisket anymore, but I cant ever see doing a "traditional" one again, except at Comps!

You can't see it in the photos...funny to have some pink in a brisket that I as tender and moist as any I have placed at comps with!

Live and learn!

• #146 by Bentley on 08 Jul 2018
  • This was a traditional feeling brisket, I will say that!

155°F for 24 to 36 hours Extra moist, with a traditional texture
  • #147 by pmillen on 08 Jul 2018
  • I do not cook a lot of brisket anymore, but I cant ever see doing a "traditional" one again, except at Comps!

I'm so pleased that this went well!  I've been cooking SV for a few years and have almost always had bad luck convincing people to try it.  Your plan looked enough like my typical brisket cook that I had high hopes.

Okay, readers (who aren't already combining SV with pellet smoking), give it a try.
  • #148 by Bentley on 08 Jul 2018
  • I need to branch out to other protein's and vegetables...but it is a tremendous way to cook cheap beef.  I am looking forward to doing a beef stroganoff next week!

The "purest" beef fat I have ever seen!

The cubes after 30 minutes in Sauce "bath".  Long way to go, I am hoping it turns into a almost heavy gravy like substance and coats it!

• #149 by Bentley on 08 Jul 2018
  • I can see why this method is banned at KCBS Competitions!
  • #150 by pmillen on 08 Jul 2018
  • If I had a toothpick there'd be a lot of those cubes disappearing.
Pages:
Actions