Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerky shrinkage  (Read 1978 times)

Ssteppe

• Using less gas.
Jerky shrinkage
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »

I was curious how much shrinkage there was smoking beef jerky, since I've read you get only 1/3 to 1/2 yield, so I weighed my last batch.

Trimmed, sliced eye of round: 2 lb 3.75 oz
After smoking: 1 lb 3.25 oz

So roughly 1/2 yield. Considering commercial jerky sells for $6-8 for a 2 oz package, happy to see I'm saving a lot of money (even considering marinade ingredients), plus home smoked tastes a LOT better.

Memphis Pro - low and slow in Hoosier land.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Jerky shrinkage
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:49:52 PM »

I was curious how much shrinkage there was smoking beef jerky, since I've read you get only 1/3 to 1/2 yield, so I weighed my last batch.

So roughly 1/2 yield. Considering commercial jerky sells for $6-8 for a 2 oz package, happy to see I'm saving a lot of money (even considering marinade ingredients), plus home smoked tastes a LOT better.

+1 on all of that

what cut of meat and what temp did you smoke it at?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »

I don't see it going for $6-8 around here. I like homemade too, but Kirkland signature is pretty good and only $1/ounce.

Ssteppe

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 12:33:38 PM »

I like eye of round best. Top round is good too.
I smoke at 180 F for 2-2 1/2 hours.

Even $1/oz would be $16/lb.
Memphis Pro - low and slow in Hoosier land.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:36:52 PM »

So I take a nice USDA Choice Rib Roast and I make Jerky out of it...what is the consensus from the jerky people, it is gonna be a Wow taste?
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 04:23:14 PM »

So I take a nice USDA Choice Rib Roast and I make Jerky out of it...what is the consensus from the jerky people, it is gonna be a Wow taste?

That would be some expensive jerky.  It may have too much fat to dry properly too.  Also, the fat is what turns to mold so you will need to eat it quickly or vac seal and freeze.  Be interested to see how it turns out for you.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »

I have not made ribeye jerky in a while but I have, it's good but for me too much fat and to trim it is a waste as I see it. I have made a lot of filet jerky, in fact about 3 weeks ago was the last time. I grab the whole loin at about 9-10 bucks a pound in cryovac and slice it a heavy 1/4". Season and smoke......it is phenomenal, great flavor, easy chewing and just delicious. Try it and I guarantee you will agree.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 04:37:47 PM »

I have not made ribeye jerky in a while but I have, it's good but for me too much fat and to trim it is a waste as I see it. I have made a lot of filet jerky, in fact about 3 weeks ago was the last time. I grab the whole loin at about 9-10 bucks a pound in cryovac and slice it a heavy 1/4". Season and smoke......it is phenomenal, great flavor, easy chewing and just delicious. Try it and I guarantee you will agree.

Interesting.  I have one of those tenderloins in the freezer.  May need to make some jerky.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 05:22:32 PM »

Actually, Tenderloin or Strip is a much better idea.  Never see cheap Tenderloin (always >$9), but many times RD here, will have USDA Select or that new Standard NY Strip on sale, and if you are real luck, you can go to the need to sell it now rack sometimes really get a deal <$4!  Will have to look for that next time I am there!

Much leaner then Rib Roast!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:52:55 AM »

Tried jerky with flat irons last weekend. Sliced slightly heavy 1/4” and seasoned. Was kind of concerned about the texture once done and that turned out to be unnecessary. This is most definitely something that we will do again. Very good and easy to chew and it received several thumbs up. I can’t remember if I saved the pictures but if I did I will post them, if not I will be doing it again and will post them.

ScottWood

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »

I've been making jerky with center round and been very happy with it.  Started using it simply because our local Cash and Carry always has it for a great price.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 12:39:34 PM »

I'm not sure I can tell the difference between center round, top round, bottom round, or london broil.  I have used each of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up