Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone use Costco sliced pork belly?  (Read 6760 times)

Woody

• Using less gas.
Does anyone use Costco sliced pork belly?
« on: April 20, 2018, 09:56:25 PM »

I'm constantly looking for ways to make pork belly because my local Costco always has whole skinless bellies(10 lbs) and packages of sliced belly(3-5lbs).  I've tried different techniques from the web like marinading, slow smoking, broiling, braising, and grilling.  I know there are very good ways to make pork belly but every attempt has been just ok.  Do any of you have a method that you think is really good with either the thick slices or whole bellies?

Thanks

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Does anyone use Costco sliced pork belly?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:02:40 PM »

I did some bacon bites. Check out the following post. Scroll down about 1/2 way.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1361.msg15041#
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:59:12 PM »

Those look good.  I tried a sweet/salty recipe from the Memphis Grills website.

The flavor was good but I think it is meant for something sized like thick slices of bacon and my Costco sliced belly is about 1/3" thick slices.  The flavor was good but they are too thick to cook at 350 for 30 minutes like the recipe suggests and have it turn out right.  Too chewy.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:03:36 AM by Woody »

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 12:32:20 AM »

I've never seen those at our Costco's. We have sliced bellies here but they are probably 2" wide. Not sure what I would do with those - maybe chop them up and use in a carbonara.

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:20:08 AM »

I panfry and make pork belly tacos.  I know i know, no grill involved, but VERY TASTY.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 09:12:28 AM »

before I realized how easy it is to cure pork belly... I used to make a sort of pseudo bacon...  I'd spice both sides of the sliced pork belly, then wad it all together and smoke  for several hours at like 180F.  Was pretty tasty, but still not as good as homemade bacon made with cured pork belly and slicing after it's made... I originally was doing this, because it was pre-sliced and I didn't have a slicer..  but now that I have a good slicer and now also know that I don't really need a slicer unless I want to slice like 10 pounds or more all at once, I just hand slice most of the time, cause it takes 1 minute to wash a knife and about 30 minutes or more to clean up my slicer.

Haven't really spent much time trying to use it other ways.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »

You might enjoy Hong Shao Rou.  It is Szechuan Red Braised Pork Belly, I have not been able to get it the way I like, or should I say I have not been able to duplicate the color of the sauce in the recipe I have used. A few different recipes out there, this is the one I am trying to Master, but as you can see by picture #1, mine, not there yet when you compare to the recipe photo!

• 1 lb pork belly
• 4 cups water
• 4- inch piece of fresh ginger
• 4 green onions
• 1 Serrano chile
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1 cup water
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
• 1 tsp red pepper flakes
• chives for garnish

1.Cut the pork belly into 1-inch cubes. Slice the ginger into four equal pieces. Trim the ends off the green onions and cut in half. Slice the chile lengthwise. Set all aside.
2.In a large wok bring water to boil. Add the sliced ginger, onions, chile and pork belly. Bring back to a boil and turn heat down and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove pork belly from wok and dry with paper towel when cool enough to handle. Discard water and contents from wok.
3.Add vegetable oil to hot wok and add pork belly pieces. Stir fry to brown on all sides. Remove from wok and drain on paper towel, set aside.
4.To your wok add the brown sugar and cook over medium heat until the sugar melts and bubbles. Carefully and quickly add the hot water to the wok and stir to mix thoroughly (this will sputter). Add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, Chinese Five Spice, ground ginger, red pepper flakes and the pork belly back to the wok and stir. Stir to coat the pork. Cover and simmer on low for 35 minutes.
5.Remove the lid and allow sauce to cook and thicken for 10 minutes more. Serve this with steamed rice and top with finely chopped chives.

Photo and recipe courtesy of kevinscooking.com.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:08:45 PM »

I think it is just a guy cooking, and they want to make sure you know they are not adding anything to make it that color...But I cant seem to duplicate the color, I do not even get close with the ingredients they list.  And this guys is not the 1st one I have tried, they all seem to be about the same, and I can never get that color!

Glad I am not the only one that thinks something is up!

It sure looks like the restaurant version uses Hoisin sauce (plum sauce) that produces that red/purple coloring.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 09:25:08 PM »

I enjoy pretty much any asian flavor profile and I'm sure that Hong Shao Rou wouldn't disappoint.  On a side note, one of my favorite uses of leftover brisket lately is to cube it and make brisket beef and broccoli.  I just par cook raw broccoli for 3 minuted in the microwave, then throw it in a hot pan with the beef.  Add two cups of pre-mixed sauce which has soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, sugar, and corn starch.  It boils and thickens in 2 minutes and it's done.  (I've had plenty of leftover brisket because I'm going to keep trying it until I get it right)

I smoked the strips at 225 for about 6 hours after coating them with salt, garlic, and pepper.  I did the slices in a foil pan for about 4-5 hours then pulled half of them out onto the grate for a few more hours.  My purpose was to try to learn a little about the meat and the cooking style.  The belly basted in its own fat in the pan and became very tender, then I could dry it out to various degrees by letting it smoke on the grates.  End result after about 8 hours was tender seasoned finger food which tasted like the fatty edges(my favorite part) of bone in chops.  I think that if these were then thrown on a HOT pan or grill for just a minute, they would get slightly crispy. 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:28:41 PM by Woody »

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 07:46:49 AM »

You might enjoy Hong Shao Rou.

I certainly might!  Looks delicious.   :lick:  Thanks for posting the recipe, gonna have to try that!
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 11:23:44 PM »

We have the same thing at the Costco we visit. Tray after tray of very thick sliced belly. There must be a demand for them or they wouldn't stock so many. I'm always on the lookout for someone with one in their cart so I can ask them how they prepare them.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Jiggle Racing

• Using less gas.
    • some of my old pics
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »

I think it is just a guy cooking, and they want to make sure you know they are not adding anything to make it that color...But I cant seem to duplicate the color, I do not even get close with the ingredients they list.  And this guys is not the 1st one I have tried, they all seem to be about the same, and I can never get that color!

Glad I am not the only one that thinks something is up!

It sure looks like the restaurant version uses Hoisin sauce (plum sauce) that produces that red/purple coloring.
Marinate in char siu powder

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 03:44:47 PM »

I did some bacon bites. Check out the following post.

Forgive my ignorance but why do you soak the pork belly, is it salted?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »

I did some bacon bites. Check out the following post.

Forgive my ignorance but why do you soak the pork belly, is it salted?

Yes it is salted. The first time I did bacon bites they came out too salty for my taste.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036
Pages: [1]   Go Up