Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Significant performance difference between pellet brands?  (Read 3267 times)

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
Significant performance difference between pellet brands?
« on: May 25, 2018, 07:11:24 AM »

I am surprised at the significant difference in temperature output and stability produced by using different brand pellets in my unit. When I first started using a pellet grill I suspected that all the pellets were the same...they mostly looked EXACTLY the same up close, exact same shape, length, just nothing to really separate one brand from another. But after trying a multitude of brands and styles I have proven to myself there certainly is a difference.

In my case something like Pit Boss Hickory produces consistently high temp swings of +50 and -50, often even more, and thick smoke. Similarly Camp Chef Comp Blend was nearly as bad, just a tad less so but still not suitable in my unit for stable low and slow smoking. Finally I obtained some Lumberjack Cherry and Lumberjack CharHickory and both allowed the unit to operate within acceptable swings (+/- 25, usually less).

So what is different between all these different brands? Fillers or binders that add to the combustion characteristics?

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Significant performance difference between pellet brands?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:56:14 AM »

Most wood species have nearly the same BTU/lb so it could be water content. 

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »

All woods are not created equally. Take the following as a 'guideline' for pellet cooking. There are many variables involved, but this will get you started on yer journey.

http://worldforestindustries.com/forest-biofuel/firewood/firewood-btu-ratings/
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

bregent

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 01:46:08 PM »

All woods are not created equally. Take the following as a 'guideline' for pellet cooking. There are many variables involved, but this will get you started on yer journey.

Not really. That chart is for firewood by volume (cord) and is very deceiving when considering pellets. BTU for different species can vary quite a bit by volume. But once ground up and pressed into pellets, everything changes.  For example, softwood like Doug Fir looks like it has much lower BTU than Live Oak. But buy the lb, Fir has 8617 BTU compared to 7561 for oak.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:13:51 PM by bregent »

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:07:02 AM »

Not really. That chart is for firewood by volume (cord) and is very deceiving when considering pellets. BTU for different species can vary quite a bit by volume. But once ground up and pressed into pellets, everything changes.  For example, softwood like Doug Fir looks like it has much lower BTU than Live Oak. But buy the lb, Fir has 8617 BTU compared to 7561 for oak.

Then there is the compression factor. Some pellet mills are able to compress more wood into the same diameter pellet resulting in higher BTUs per pound.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »

Last week I was preparing the DC for searing a sous vide chuck roast, I set the temperature to 525 and checked the pellets. There were very few Pit Boss pellets left so I grabbed the next bag in my stack which happened to be Traeger apple wood blend. I filled the hopper and let the DC do its thing. When the temp. reached 510 and I put the roast on to sear for a few minutes, then I  noticed that the temp. was falling. Before the sear was complete, the temp. had fallen to 425. I attribute the temp. reduction to the Traeger apple/alder pellets. IMO, pellets can make a big difference in amount of heat produced.  From the above chart, apple/alder produce almost half the BTUs of oak.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

bregent

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 12:08:21 PM »

>Then there is the compression factor. Some pellet mills are able to compress
>more wood into the same diameter pellet resulting in higher BTUs per pound.

John, you need to go back and finish your coffee :)

The amount of compression would not affect btu per pound. It would affect the amount of BTU per volume.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »

I just finished my coffee. Thanks.

bregent

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 12:23:42 PM »

> From the above chart, apple/alder produce almost half the BTUs of oak.

Hugh, that chart has little to no bearing on pellets until you convert it into BTU/lb - it's made for cord wood which is a volume measurement. It may surprise many that species with the highest BTU's/lb are softwoods like pine, fir and spruce.

According to that chart, by the pound, apple wood actually has MORE BTU than white and red oak. I think many folks are confusing BTU with temperature. BTU is a unit of heat energy. You can have 2 different pellets; one that burns cooler and slower, and the other that burns hotter and faster, but both have the same BTU. In a pellet grill with a good controller, it doesn't really matter and both pellets will provide the same amount of energy. With grills that have a hard time maintaining high temps, or if you are running in a non temp controlled mode, then a pellet that burns hotter (but faster) may give better results.

bregent

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 12:52:32 PM »

Here's that same chart Bobitis posted, but converted to BTU/LB. Hope this image is legible.

Note: Click on the image to enlarge it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:38:22 PM by bregent »

hughver

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »

I think that the DC was providing all of the apple/alder pellets that it could but could not achieve the set temperature. Either that or my controller is failing  ;D.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »

Tough to read but using "control-plus" enlarges it to a marginally readable size.

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »

I just click on the image and it gets bigger and much easier to read.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »

Last week I was preparing the DC for searing a sous vide chuck roast, I set the temperature to 525 and checked the pellets. There were very few Pit Boss pellets left so I grabbed the next bag in my stack which happened to be Traeger apple wood blend. I filled the hopper and let the DC do its thing. When the temp. reached 510 and I put the roast on to sear for a few minutes, then I  noticed that the temp. was falling. Before the sear was complete, the temp. had fallen to 425. I attribute the temp. reduction to the Traeger apple/alder pellets. IMO, pellets can make a big difference in amount of heat produced.  From the above chart, apple/alder produce almost half the BTUs of oak.  :2cents:

You do know that Traeger uses 'flavored oils' to make pellets?  In the East they use oak as the base.  In the West they use alder.  They add oils that flavors the wood. 

Enuff said, it's Traeger.    Discuss.................................   Real wood flavor vs 'oils'.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 12:36:37 PM »

It only happened to me once, it was a pellet that a manufacture sent to me.  I am pretty sure they never came to market.  It just wade the DB wonky, would not perform well at all.  Only time I have ever seen it happen though.  Never had any issues with "main stream" pellets in the DB or the Memphis Pro! 

I am surprised at the significant difference in temperature output and stability produced by using different brand pellets in my unit.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up