Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous Vide Brisket  (Read 2054 times)

Woody

• Using less gas.
Re: Sous Vide Brisket
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »

The facts:  I smoked the prime brisket flat portion for 3.5 hours at 225 then into sous vide for 50 hours at 135 degrees.  Then I seared it on a hot grill, sliced it and poured the jus from the bag over the slices.  I'd say the texture was like strip steak and had chew but not overly so.  You had to give the slices a little tug to pull them apart but it wasn't dry or mealy or overcooked.   For what it's worth, I smoked this to an internal temp of 155 before vacuum sealing it so I don't know if going above 135 greatly affected the final product.

My opinion:  The flavor and texture was pretty good with just salt and pepper.  I very much missed the bark and while there was plenty of smoke flavor, it lacked the well rounded bbq flavor that I'm used to(whatever that means).  In fairness, even though this was prime grade, a half a flat is a pretty unforgiving piece of meat to truly test the potential of this method.  I figured that if somehow this flat came out jiggling, which it certainly did not, then I'd have a new favorite cooking style.   I believe that others' experiences in this thread have been better than mine and I may try this with a whole flat.  I'm certain that the point would come out more to my liking, but that's always been the case.

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »

final product...

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »

I apologize for not being a little clearer on the reasons that I use sous vide. The primary benefit is temperature control, others are food safety and timing. There are two ways for making naturally tough brisket tender. One is traditional, that is to cook it slowly to 205° so that all of the inter connective tissues are broken down/dissolved. The other method, since the breakdown/dissolve process starts at 130°, is to cook it longer at a lower temperature until the breakdown is complete.  By keeping the temperature at 130-135° for 48 hours, you get the equivalent of a medium rare, tender and moist steak. By starting the sous vide process at 155° as you did, your final product is still safe/moist/tender but more like a well done steak.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »

To me, this technique would nullify the tenderness aspect of the Sous Vide, but that is pure speculation!  I am so grateful you post this data, as I think I will reverse your method and see what happens.

I'd say the texture was like strip steak and had chew but not overly so...For what it's worth, I smoked this to an internal temp of 155 before vacuum sealing it so I don't know if going above 135 greatly affected the final product.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 01:18:36 PM »

Thanks Hughver for all your input.  I now have the other half of flat in my freezer and I'll try it this weekend without changing anything except my initial smoke meat temp and I'll stop around 110 like you've suggested.  I was worried as soon as I saw that I let it get so high but figured I'd see what would happen.

This kind of experimenting and learning is more fun for me than eating the end result.  :bbq:

hughver

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 10:16:32 PM »

If you are going to sear it after sous vide, let it cool so that it's not over 135° after sear. To tell the truth, the sear makes it look good and gives it a little Maillard reaction flavor but it's really not necessary.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »

I have to say, I've had the leftovers from this cook twice now, and the texture of the meat is very good.  I'm excited to try again because I now believe that Hugh's directions, if followed closely, will give me the excellent results I'm looking for.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 02:34:36 PM »

So am I hearing correctly, if I cook it for appx 48 hours at 135° I should have a nice tender piece of meat.  But if I were then to put it on the pit and run the temperature beyond 135°, I will lose that tenderness?

The reason I ask is for taking half a brisket and cooking till tender, but then wanting to finish the burnt ends in a traditional manner.  And my finishing will certainly take the meat well beyond 160°.

hughver

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »

So am I hearing correctly, if I cook it for appx 48 hours at 135° I should have a nice tender piece of meat.  But if I were then to put it on the pit and run the temperature beyond 135°, I will lose that tenderness?

The reason I ask is for taking half a brisket and cooking till tender, but then wanting to finish the burnt ends in a traditional manner.  And my finishing will certainly take the meat well beyond 160°.

No, the meat will still be tender but it will no longer be medium rare. I eat my meat on the low side of medium rare because to me, it taste better than medium or well done. Traditional brisket is well done, I like it, but not near as much as a medium rare slice of prime rib. Burnt end should be better than ever.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 04:45:16 PM »

Looking forward to trying this out then!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up