Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beef for a party  (Read 1477 times)

Greg1

• Using less gas.
Beef for a party
« on: June 21, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »

Looking for a cut a beef to feed a fairly large crowd.  Would like a relatively inexpensive cut.  Really not wanting to cook briskets was thinking a shoulder clod?!? But am open to other ideas as well.
Louisiana LG900 Traeger Texas Elite 34 Big Horn SRPG 1093

dk117

Re: Beef for a party
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »

chuck roast.  Pulled beef.  Might be a tad tougher to nail than a forgiving pork butt, but same general idea. 

Ask the butcher if they can give you an 8 pounder. Nothing wrong with cooking ten 2 lb roasts, but getting the size of a pork butt has worked for me on time and sizing for a crowd. 

Good luck, take pictures!

DK

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »

I have only cooked a clod once and it took up almost my whole Memphis Elite and took about 20 hours to finish.  I then couldn't get it to slice without falling apart so it ended up being mostly pulled or chopped beef.

I am a big fan of pulled beef from chuck roasts using the pepper stout beef method.  You can get a decent price if you buy a case at Restaurant Depot.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »

How will it be served?
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Greg1

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »

I am wanting to serve sliced.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 07:36:43 PM »

I am not aware of an inexpensive beef cut that will work sliced unless maybe you sous vide and use an electric slicer, but others have much more experience with that than me.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:33:03 PM »

For Christmas parties I have done whole New York Strip loins (around 10-12 lbs ea.) and they turned out very nice. I don't know what they go for in your neck of the woods, but I saw them on sale this week for $3.39 a pound. I live in SW Michigan.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 08:15:03 AM »

Well, I can get pre-seasoned tri-tip for about $3.5/lb...   I'd go with these, as at this price, there's not much cheaper, they are very easy to cook, and taste great...

I typically cook at about 250F, until internal temperature is roughly 130F, maybe 135F, but it just depends on how people like their meat.   Time... well, you should probably practice one before doing a bunch, but I'd say 45 minutes to a hour.   Personally, I don't feel any need to 'sear' them at all, but you could  sear, if you really wanted, just pull them a little earlier , like 120F, and sear until desired internal temperature.

These can be cooked hotter, and will take less time, without really any detrimental effects, I cook them lower/slower to get a bit of smoke on them.

Obviously the price I can get these for is on the low end of what Tri-Tip costs... but Personally, I'd probably still go with Tri-Tip even if I had to pay $5 or so... very little fat or waste, and if done right, it's darn near as good as any other cut of beef.

Darn, now your making me think I need to make a trip to A&A market II ( the original burned down)  to get some Tri-Tip for this weekend.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 08:19:07 AM »

If you want the beef , such that it can sit around in a crock pot or warming pan for hours... well, then I'd go with chuck... serve it similar to pulled pork, but with a little beef Au Jus rather then anything like BBQ sauce.  You could also make a very tasty stew from some of it.... 
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Ralphie

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »

Thanks a lot, LowSlowJoe.  Now you've forced me to go buy a tri tip today.  I'm going to have to rearrange a few things on my schedule. 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »

Eye of round might be a choice if you have an electric slicer.  I don't know what it goes for where you live.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:43:55 AM »

To me your clod idea is great.  Many options.  Now is it cold (room temp) for roast beef sandwich's, or will it be served hot for an entrée plate?

Depending on that answer, and what you define as "cheap"...Ball Tip, Clod, any of the Rounds, Sirloin...A few more...I need to look up what they use for that Pit Beef in Baltimore!

Now, outside of the Sirloin, those cuts do not have a lot of flavor...so for my taste, gravy, or au jus or Da Juice or something needs to come in and add that flavor!  Or a Hot Giardiniera if it is a sandwich!

Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 11:17:39 AM »

I believe pit beef is the bottom round, but it could also be top round.

Greg1

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »

Here is where I am right now going to smoke a shoulder clod, to be served hot and sliced.  Going to slice the clod like a brisket, pencil width on thickness.  As for serving as people will be milling thru all evening my plan is to serve out of a roaster pan with the sliced beef sitting in au jux with possibly some rub mixed back in for a bit of flavor enhancement.  Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this plan or any additional ideas that would make it better.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 11:56:32 AM »

Here is where I am right now going to smoke a shoulder clod, to be served hot and sliced.  Going to slice the clod like a brisket, pencil width on thickness.  As for serving as people will be milling thru all evening my plan is to serve out of a roaster pan with the sliced beef sitting in au jux with possibly some rub mixed back in for a bit of flavor enhancement.  Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this plan or any additional ideas that would make it better.

Have you ever made a clod before?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up