Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Meat Slicers  (Read 1033 times)

dlesh04

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Meat Slicers
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »

So i'm looking for a electric meat slicer because we make tons of jerky.  Been doing a ton of research and there just isn't a lot of info on these.  Willing to spend $100-300 but would like to be around 200.  Found a camp chef thats only 140 watts which concerned me but am leaning towards a L.E.M.  Any advice or suggestions would be great

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Meat Slicers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »

I bought the LEM #8 grinder and the jerky slicer attachment.  It works great, but is probably above your price range.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dlesh04

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:32 AM »

I bought the LEM #8 grinder and the jerky slicer attachment.  It works great, but is probably above your price range.

Have looked at that also as I dear hunt and itd be handy.  Thinking I want to make deli meat also though

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »

I was thinking of one or the other of these.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl310-10-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Stainless-Semi-Auto-Electric-Veggies/dp/B01AHU7E1K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531146665&sr=8-4&keywords=deli+slicer

I havd been dragging my feet checking craigslist, Letgo and Outbid, and about 2 weeks ago I found a Berkel 825E on letgo for 300 bucks and bought it.

I have a waring pro and one of the 150 dollar or so cabelas but both have serrated blades and I don't like them for giving nice slices. 

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

Before purchasing the Avantco, take a look at the warranty PDF:

Residential use voids the warranty.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »

Just a general comment, there are trade offs between light duty household and medium duty slicers. A lot depends on how you will be using it.

If storage/weight is a concern, then one of the ChefsChoice models like the 610 (on sale today at Amazon) is a good choice. They are very easy to clean and store. You will probably need to get the non serrated blade for most applications.

If you have the room, then a heavier duty slicer that has a built in sharpener and blade guard might be a better choice. They tend to make easier work of slicing so good for big jobs. The blade guard helps prevent the food from moving around when you slice. But they are generally more difficult to clean and store.

I've got an older Chef's Choice 630 - it's easy to store and grab for quick, small jobs. If I had a heavy duty slicer I feel I would probably not want to lug it out and clean it for smaller jobs.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »

It is only a one year warranty anyhow I believe, and the reason they gave ma is the wiring in the residential buildings and not having heavy enough breakers.

bregent

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »

It is only a one year warranty anyhow I believe, and the reason they gave ma is the wiring in the residential buildings and not having heavy enough breakers.

Heavy enough breakers? It's 320 watts! I think your residential building can handle it :)

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »

My worries would be a premature failure in the first few months. If it lasts longer than that, it will likely outlast me.

I'd hate to get it and either have it dead on arrival, or die during the first couple of times it is used and then be told they would not fix it.

I was ready to purchase one until I noticed the warranty (I'm somewhat of a worry-wart).

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »

Heavy enough breakers? It's 320 watts! I think your residential building can handle it :)

I went back and found the original post I replied to with their answer and this is what they sent me back, I knew it was something about electrical draw.

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Avantco! We appreciate your interest in our products. Avantco is a commercial brand and would not be designed or intended for home use. Commercial units often draw far more electrical power and are much louder than residential models, and many residential users do not expect the extra strain on their electricity or the extra noise.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Have a great day!

Thank you, "

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 08:51:47 AM »

I don't make anywhere near a ton of jerky.  Although at one time , I used to make about 30 pounds at a time.

I bought a sort of mid level , semi-commercial slicer a couple years ago, I bought it mainly for slicing bacon.     I don't use it very often, it so big, it can't be easily moved ( I think it weighs like 70 pounds , and it's very awkward to carry regardless of how much it actually weighs).  Mine is relegated to my basement, because I don't have room for it on my main floor.   It takes about 20 minutes or more to clean thoroughly, maybe 30 minutes really since I don't have running water easily available in my basement either. ( I really need to rectify that )...     Only time I use it, is if I have at least 30 minutes worth of slicing to do. So, while I don't really regret buying it, it's not exactly a highly used item,  maybe 4 or 5 times a year or so.   

I have a VacMaster VP215 that's in similar situation... only it's even bigger and weighs slightly more.   Now, this one I really don't regret buying, but it too get used less then a dozen times each year, but... well I do really like it and is GREAT for sealing up most anything that's not more then 12" long.  It requires very little cleaning, so... that's not a issue.

Meanwhile... jerky.   I personally don't know that I'd slice much raw meat on my slicer.  Stuff just doesn't slide through it very easily when it's wet and soft like raw meat is.   I suppose you could partially freeze it before slicing...   but anyway, generally speaking, I can cut meat up with a knife pretty quickly.  I basically never cut any thinner than 3/8" for jerky. Recently , I've been using flank steak for jerky, and that would be virtually impossible to slice on a slicer... So for me, I personally don't really see the slicer as a big time saver for my jerky needs.

But more then anything, I caution you , that big meat slicers aren't necessarily very convenient, unless maybe you really are doing very large quantities of stuff that slices well on them.

Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 09:23:43 AM »

Raw meat slices easily thru the LEM jerky slicer.  Sometime they have 15%-25% off sales and that would be a good time to buy. Sign up to have them send you emails and you get the discount codes.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »

Although this does not have a motor, one can be ordered for it. It was super simple to use and clean. I took it apart, rinsed everything off and ran it through the dishwasher. It was a huge time saver for me. One of the negative reviews said the meat kept getting hung up in it and they had to take it apart to get the meat out. Another said as long as the meat was "wet" they had no issue. Reading those reviews, I decided to brush a little olive oil on both sides of the meat and it did exactly what it was supposed to. I have only used it once but I am extremely happy with the results. Another member here has the LEM unit and we both had the same issue where the pieces were not completely sliced all the way through and we had to pull the slices apart. It was a very slight annoyance. We both agreed it was well worth it though.

https://www.amazon.com/Weston-07-3801-W-Support-Aluminum-Construction/dp/B001SGB3SS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531228378&sr=8-4&keywords=weston+jerky+slicer

HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »

I am in kind of the same situation and LSJ, I bought a 12" globe slicer many years ago, at my previous house I had a kitchen in my basement so I kept it on a counter by the sink. When I moved I had no such thing. It is in my back room, it weigh probably 100 pounds or so, it isn't something you just move around. The Berkel I bought goes maybe 40 pounds it isn't to bad to move but still takes up space. I also have the VP215 It stays in the kitchen, I don't get to actually use it, I put stuff in bags and the girlfriend likes using it.

I have jerky slicers also but the last few times I just sliced by hand. I do think a good slicer will come in handy when I do Canadian bacon, and I want to try pit beef or maybe just do a whole boneless porkloin and slice for sammies.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up