Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low and slow burgers?  (Read 6646 times)

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
Re: Low and slow burgers?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 09:32:41 AM »

I'm a fan of hot and fast bugers... with grease dripping down on the heat and sizzling.   Mostly cause that's what I always got growing up, and to some degree it's a nostalgia thing.

However, if making burgers in mass quantities on a pellet grill, I would never try doing the traditional hot and fast...  In fact, I really wouldn't recommend even trying cooking a entire grilling area of burgers above 325F on a pellet grill with full drip pan, it's very likely a recipe for a grease fire.     Yes, you will get sort of a 'oven' baked product at lower temperatures... and it could actually take a while to do...

Lets say you have a pellet grill that's 20x34" cooking grate... first, I wouldn't hang the burgers over the outside edge of the drip tray, to prevent grease from dripping down underneath the drip tray... so you probably end up with a cooking area that's closer to 16x30". I would estimate you could fit probably 18 burgers on a grill that size maybe 21 if you used the full width of the grill.   So, to cook a 100 burgers you need to make like 5 full grills worth of burgers.  If it takes say 30 minutes per grill full , your looking at 2.5 hours of cooking burgers.     I suppose you could start in the morning, and place cooked burgers in a warming pan until time to eat.

If you had a charcoal or gas grill that large, you could do it in less than half the time... ( but then not alot of us pelletheads have charcoal grills that large, or even gas... ).   Problem with cooking over high heat , is the grill master needs to constantly be working. 

Anyway, good luck.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 04:54:42 AM »

I regularly host board game sessions and music circles, where I don't like to have to spend too much time away minding the food. I started doing low & slow smoked burgers for my convenience, but my friends actually prefer them to normal grilling now.

One useful side-effect for me - I usually over-cater a little, on the principle of better to have leftovers than run out. I find that slow smoked burgers reheat beautifully for lunch the next day (and sometimes the day after). I put them in a covered dish with a dessert spoon of water, and microwave them for about a minute or so (depending on the number of burgers). They are not dry at all, and taste pretty good!
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

imahawki

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 09:00:28 AM »

JaJaJa...They probably want one...envy is a horrible thing!

However, I don't think the guys I was working with were all that impressed. I overheard one saying it wasn't any different than putting them in the oven and baking them. I should point out that they are both avid stick burners and like a very smokey taste.

No they don't.  I work with a guy like this.  He calls pellet smokers and easy bake oven.  I'm guessing they suffer from an inadequacy and need the most caveman method of doing things to feel like a man.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »

JaJaJa...They probably want one...envy is a horrible thing!

However, I don't think the guys I was working with were all that impressed. I overheard one saying it wasn't any different than putting them in the oven and baking them. I should point out that they are both avid stick burners and like a very smokey taste.
No they don't.  I work with a guy like this. He calls pellet smokers and easy bake oven.  I'm guessing they suffer from an inadequacy and need the most caveman method of doing things to feel like a man.

Cold cooked burgers are like cold pizza to me... I just pick them up and eat them.   In some ways I like the taste of a cold cooked hamburger patty for breakfast, as much or more then I do one fresh off the grill the day before.  Same for me with pizza...   I just eat it cold the next day and love it.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:01:58 PM by Bentley »
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »

Cold burger, meatloaf sandwich, same thing to me.  Both good!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »

Kind of a silly question, but what the heck! I am working on a community dinner in a couple of weeks. The group wants to do about 100 burgers. Since I have a large grill, I became the default burger guy. Most don't realize the difference between a pellet grill and gas or charcoal. The thought process is, if you have a grill, you should be able to do burgers.

I  know hamburgers are not the typical bill of fare, but would it work? We are looking at using frozen preshaped patties. My grill has just the three settings and doesn't go much past 375 on high.

Our local Oklahoma Joes, does their burgers low and slow at 225 for about an 45 min.  and then stores them until customer orders them.  They claim that they are really BBQ and the fat is rendered out nicely.  No mention of searing at the end.  But I see that they have sear marks in their TV ad. They say that the customers really like them.   I think you will do just fine, but I would defrost them first, otherwise they will take forever at low temp.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up