Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What did I do wrong with this brisket?  (Read 1486 times)

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
Re: What did I do wrong with this brisket?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »

Actually... I've seen briskets go from 160F to 200F in just a couple hours...   If the wrap is tight, the grill temp is above 270F or so... once the temperature inside the wrap gets to boiling point, that meat will start rising in temperature very rapidly...   When I've seen this , I also experienced that the meat doesn't really get as tender as it would if it took longer.   This is one of the reasons I rarely wrap meat that I'm cooking.  I really think that meat/collagen needs TIME and heat to get tender, not just heat.    I also don't believe that wrapping meat actually helps it retain any moisture... yeah, the moisture might stay inside the foil , but  I don't think it stays inside the meat itself.   Anyway, this really is at the heart of why I personally don't like wrapping meat.   

Yeah, in theory there are ways to wrap that do make a good final product... but I also can make a good final product without wrapping , in fact I think I get better product due to better bark, but I'm a bark lover.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 09:30:13 AM »

in fact I think I get better product due to better bark, but I'm a bark lover.

I agree if bark is what one likes, not wrapping is the way to go.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »

I didn't mention this but assume it happens to everybody who foils in a pan is that my pan was 3/4 full of liquid when I checked it. That liquid was probably close to smoker temp and helped heat it up faster I guess?

I don't know. Normally I don't foil, he only reason I did it was as an experiment. I personally enjoy my bark better when I do not foil. Also this choice brisket was a fluke. i normally always get a prime from Costco but this weekend they were $3.99/lb for Prime and I noticed a mis-labeled choice brisket at $3.49. It was a lean looking choice and I didn't listen to the voice inside my head that tried to steer me clear of it. I'm not a good enough cook to make a choice turn out well.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 11:07:20 AM »

I didn't mention this but assume it happens to everybody who foils in a pan is that my pan was 3/4 full of liquid when I checked it. That liquid was probably close to smoker temp and helped heat it up faster I guess?

I don't know. Normally I don't foil, he only reason I did it was as an experiment. I personally enjoy my bark better when I do not foil. Also this choice brisket was a fluke. i normally always get a prime from Costco but this weekend they were $3.99/lb for Prime and I noticed a mis-labeled choice brisket at $3.49. It was a lean looking choice and I didn't listen to the voice inside my head that tried to steer me clear of it. I'm not a good enough cook to make a choice turn out well.

unless there's pressure inside the wrapping, the liquid will never exceed boiling point.   However, once it hits boiling, there is NO evaporative cooling going on...   I'm not good enough to tell you how hot the 100% humidity air gets inside the wrap... probably up to the temperature of the inside of the grill anyway.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up