News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: KC BBQ  (Read 1360 times)

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
KC BBQ
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:39:28 AM »

Hey PF’s. I’m driving cross country from GA to CA with my kids. We’ll be in KC tomorrow. What are some of your favorite bbq joints there.  Thanks.

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: KC BBQ
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 04:32:46 PM »

I truly wish I knew. I know this is late but we don’t get KC bbq. Tried to get my friend to advise but he is on vacation. I do hope you can find something that you like. Travel safely.
I can take you to some awfully good pizza, my treat if you are going to be around Manhattan, KS.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:35:59 PM by yorkdude »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »

I have been to Arthur Bryant's downtown.  Bryant's is suppose to be one of the holy grail of bbq and I thought it was just ok.

Haven't been, but Oklahoma Joe's is suppose to be good.

Stroud's has really good fried chicken and sides.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »

I think I went to Arthur Bryant's and Gates about 20 years ago.  I don't remember much about it though.  I believe they are two of the more well know places that have been around forever.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

egmont

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »

Unfortunately, some of the best ones are closed on Sunday.
Except for #1 & 2, no certain order and I'm not listing Bryant's or Gates

1) Joe's Kansas City - tied with #2 as my favorite
2) Jack Stack - more expensive but great
3) Smokin' Guns
4) Plowboys (in Blue Springs)
5) LC's
6) Q39
7) Char Bar
8) and too many more to list!

GMG Daniel Boone Weber Genesis E-330

bregent

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 12:31:04 AM »

Thanks folks.  We ended up spending more time in STL so won't be getting to KC till tomorrow. Hopefully one of those places is open.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 07:17:10 AM »

Thanks folks.  We ended up spending more time in STL so won't be getting to KC till tomorrow. Hopefully one of those places is open.

Where did you go in STL?  I am planning a trip there at some point.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 05:32:24 PM »

A BBQ Brethren, a Competition Cook with a few Grand Championships under his belt and many top 10's and been doing it for 10+ years.  Never tasted his food, but if it is anything like his turns in, I think you would like it.  If you do pick this one, will be Very Interested in what you thought!

4) Plowboys (in Blue Springs)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:30:44 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

egmont

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 10:47:39 PM »

My wife lives for Plowboys burnt ends. And they really are consistently great.

And STL is coming along with some good bbq - I'm just very partial to the KC version.
GMG Daniel Boone Weber Genesis E-330

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »

I think it was Gates that I went to 15 years or so ago. It was a fun experience - don't get in line unless you know what you want to order ;-). They took orders of 5 to 10 people back in line at a time, my coworker wasn't ready, so they skipped right over him initially and teased him a bit. The food was great, but it was also just a good and different experience.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

bregent

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 02:21:07 PM »

Couldn't post to the forum while we were traveling and just got back home a few days ago.

We decided to try some BBQ before hitting STL proper. Found a place with good reviews called A Fine Swine in Hanover Il. Me and the boys shared a plate of ribs, chicken quarter, pulled pork, brisket, BBQ beans, corn bread and green beans. Overall, we were not impressed. The pulled pork and ribs were good, but nothing special. The brisket, although sliced very thin, was still tough. The chicken was dry and extremely tough to cut and chew. The beans were flavored with apple and were extremely sweet - I think KC BBQ beans in general are sweet, but these were over the top - tasted like pie filling. The corn bread was dry and crumbly.

The next day we were in KC. It was Sunday and so many of the BBQ joints were closed so found a place called Slaps. There was a long line out the door but it was moving fast so we got on line. They ran out of ribs right before we made it to the counter, but we heard from folks in line that was a possibility so we were prepared. Ordered a combo plate (sausage, sliced brisket, burnt ends ), a pulled pork sandwich and sides of hush puppies, beans and mac n cheese. It did not disappoint. The brisket was cooked perfectly, and the burnt ends were tender and tasty.  There was more meat piled on the pork sandwich than I've ever seen and the sides were all good. The beans were still much sweeter than I like, but I guess that's the style over there.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:41:15 PM by bregent »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 03:03:20 PM »

I was just thinking about this thread a couple of days ago.  Thanks!  Were the Hush Puppies moist and flavorful?  Hint of Onion?

bregent

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »

I was just thinking about this thread a couple of days ago.  Thanks!  Were the Hush Puppies moist and flavorful?  Hint of Onion?

Hush puppies were crisp on the outside and moist inside and had good flavor, but don't recall if there was any onion. Is that that hallmark of a proper hush puppy?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »

Just for me!  I like onion in my Hush Puppies...

captaink

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »

SLAP is owned my Joe and Mike Pearce.  2nd place finishers on Season 5 of BBQ Pitmasters. They recently started selling their rub and sauce which I think are great. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up