Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoked Salmon???  (Read 1155 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Smoked Salmon???
« on: August 09, 2018, 08:13:45 AM »

My wife wants some of this and I have not done fish yet on my smoker.  I did a search and one thread had a lot of info, but it was too old to post on.  My first question is what type of salmon to get?  I will most likely get it from Costco.  I see wild vs farm raised.  What is the difference and which is preferred?  I am assuming I would want to get fillets.  Do I get them with the skin on or off?

The biggest question is how to do this?

Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

KeithG

• Using less gas.
Re: Smoked Salmon???
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »

As far as which salmon to to get, I would always choose wild caught over farm raised.  I think wild caught has better texture and flavor.  I would also choose skin on as the skin will hold it together though smoking.

I have only smoked it once.  As I remember, I used equal parts salt and brown sugar and cured it overnight. Rinsed, put it pack in fridge until pelicle formed and then smoked. I was using the RecTec so probably smoked at 180, the lowest setting.  I don’t remember the internal temperature when I finished, or even if I checked it.
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »

Even if a thread comes up with a "warning" that it is over 120 days old, you can still post in it.  Just ignore the "warning" and proceed. If it refuses to let you post, let us know because that is not how it is suppose to work.

There is this tutorial:  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1701.0

and this one:  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1367.0
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:12:22 AM by Kristin Meredith »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 09:17:02 AM »

I posted two recipes in the Recipe section after reading this.  See Smoked Salmon with Optional Glaze and Smoked Salmon with Dill & Rub.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »

My wife wants some of this and I have not done fish yet on my smoker.  The biggest question is how to do this?

My young bride has asked for it also.  I've been wanting to try it so now I have times and temps, etc.  Thanks pmillen!!

I posted two recipes in the Recipe section after reading this.  See Smoked Salmon with Optional Glaze and Smoked Salmon with Dill & Rub.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »

Skin on.  I am fine w farm raised but wild is (IMO) better.  Plenty of recipes out there.  Can I post a recipe that isn't mine (out of a bbq book) w credit?  One of our families favorites
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »

My wife likes the Dill and I like the brown sugar version.  Thanks for posting these.

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »

Quadman750 posted a recipe for salmon with lemon, onion, and a shrimp/crab stuffing. I made it over the 4th of July. It was easy to make, looked good and tasted great.  Here is the link to his thread:

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=268.msg1902#msg1902
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »

Quadman750 posted a recipe for salmon with lemon, onion, and a shrimp/crab stuffing. I made it over the 4th of July. It was easy to make, looked good and tasted great.  Here is the link to his thread:

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=268.msg1902#msg1902

This recipe would put me in the hospital (allergic to shellfish), but my wife would love it.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 06:39:09 AM »

Will it hurt to freeze salmon?  I am assuming Costco will have bigger packages than what we will eat in a meal.  My wife usually shrink wraps what we buy from there to cook later.

Also can I do redfish like salmon?  I live off the Gulf Coast and there is a lot of fresh redfish down here where the salmon is shipped in.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 06:47:12 AM »

We have frozen salmon from Costco (the big whole ones) and then cooked and comes out great.  Have not tried smoking them after freezing, just cooking.

TLK

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 06:58:02 AM »

We have frozen salmon from Costco (the big whole ones) and then cooked and comes out great.  Have not tried smoking them after freezing, just cooking.

I have smoked whole salmon, then portion and put into vacuum sealer.  Thaw then reheat in boiling water without any issues.
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »

Also can I do redfish like salmon?  I live off the Gulf Coast and there is a lot of fresh redfish down here where the salmon is shipped in.
IDK.  But...If there's a lot, as you wrote, then it probably isn't too expensive and you aren't risking much if you experiment and have to throw it out.

Try developing a marinade.  I did some research...A successful marinade has a right balance of acid, oil, and seasonings.  In general terms, here's what goes into a good marinade--

Acid or Enzymes: Both break down the connective tissue in the meat.  Consider citrus juice, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, pickle juice, hot sauce, blended papaya, and buttermilk.

Fat: Fat transfers fat-soluble flavors into the meat and also helps retain moisture.  Fats and the flavors they transport help round out flavor profiles and keep sharp or acidic flavors from dominating.  Consider olive oil, sesame oil, yogurt, or mayonnaise.

Herbs: Add fresh or dry herbs for flavors.  Consider dill, basil, oregano, thyme, tarragon, chives, or whatever you prefer.

Seasonings: Your favorite rub can go in.  Also consider Worcestershire sauce, peppercorns, chili powder, paprika, creole seasoning, garlic or curry.  Seasonings add flavor.

Sugar: Be cautious here.  A little sweetener is a nice touch but it's easy to add too much.  Consider barbecue sauce, ketchup, molasses, honey, agave, or a soft drink.

So...looking at each category—

Acid . . . . . . . . Fresh lemon juice, maybe two lemons
Fat . . . . . . . . . Olive oil, maybe a cup
Herbs . . . . . . . I couldn't think of one I wanted to put in
Seasonings. . . Creole seasoning, a teaspoon
                         Worcestershire sauce, a tablespoon
                         Paprika, 2 tablespoons
                         Garlic powder, a teaspoon
Sugar . . . . . . . Nope

I'd be willing to try that for about six hours.  Longer might make fish mushy.  Pat it dry and smoke away.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »

Some cooking tips:

The Pit. Cook temp, ~ 350º. A CLEAN, preheated grate is a must. Done temp ~130º. DO NOT overcook. No thermometer? When done, there will be a white secretion on top of the fish. No need to turn the fish.

The Fish. Skin on lightly oiled and seasoned. Salt and pepper is good. Lemmon pepper as well. Or, there are several fish seasonings out there. Just don't go crazy w/seasoning on the first cook.

Tools: A wide lifter or two. The done fish is extremely fragile and will fall apart easily. Be prepared.

Glaze: Equal parts butter, maple syrup , soy sauce and grainy mustard, heated and applied at serving is a nice touch.

Let us know how it went.

Mudflap

• Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 07:23:48 PM »

My wife wants some of this and I have not done fish yet on my smoker.  I did a search and one thread had a lot of info, but it was too old to post on.  My first question is what type of salmon to get?  I will most likely get it from Costco.  I see wild vs farm raised.  What is the difference and which is preferred?  I am assuming I would want to get fillets.  Do I get them with the skin on or off?

The biggest question is how to do this?

Every time I see "smoked salmon " on this site I have to ask are you baking it in a smoker or smoking it like jerky? When I read the responses I see both kinds. May I ask what you're looking for?

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up