Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Homemade Pellet Smoker  (Read 5145 times)

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Homemade Pellet Smoker
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »

First cook underway.  Two 8 lb lonely boneless pork shoulders.  The Pellet Pro pellet engine is in smoke mode.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »

since you clearly have skills I lack, I'll continue to encourage.  This is what I had in mind.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2024 Napoleon Phantom 500 Prestige

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »

Wow, the creativity and craftsmanship from folks on this site never ceases to amaze me.  Great job on an outstanding looking Pit, Joe.  Will you also craft a name plate for your pit?  Anything built homemade looking that good should have a nameplate too.  I could only dream of creating and building a pit as cool as that one.  Awesome.

JoeGrilling

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 08:44:58 PM »

Wow, the creativity and craftsmanship from folks on this site never ceases to amaze me.  Great job on an outstanding looking Pit, Joe.  Will you also craft a name plate for your pit?  Anything built homemade looking that good should have a nameplate too.  I could only dream of creating and building a pit as cool as that one.  Awesome.

I thought about giving it a name.  The name that keeps coming to mind is "The Brattany".  A nickname given to my ME daughter Brittany at a place she worked.

I see your from NJ.  I lived in South Plainfield until the fourth grade and we then moved to Maryland.  It was off to California after college graduation (U of MD). 

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »

I see your from NJ.  I lived in South Plainfield until the fourth grade and we then moved to Maryland.  It was off to California after college graduation (U of MD). 

I am in Branchburg, so not too far from where you were.  Ironically, my son is at UMD now.

JoeGrilling

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »

I am in Branchburg, so not too far from where you were.  Ironically, my son is at UMD now.

My wife and I both went to UMD along with two of our kids.  The last one graduated last Spring and the other in 2015.  Our oldest daughter went to UC Berkeley.  However, the admissions policy changed for the best UC schools when it came time for our next kid to go to college nine years later.  Out of state and foreign students were given a higher priority for the flagship UC schools.  We strongly encouraged her to apply to UMD and she ended up going there.  Our son made it his first choice.  Both kids loved the school and jump at any chance to go back there to visit.  Our son will be interviewing soon to be graduates on campus in a month or so for his company in Houston.   

JoeGrilling

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »

The pork shoulders I did yesterday went pretty well except for one funny occurrence at the end.  The smoker flamed-out with the temperature set at 250 F.  The plan for today is to figure out why.  My first roast hit 205 F around 7:32 PM and I pulled it.  I put the roast in the house and went back out to check on the second.  It appears that the smoker flamed out when the first roast was pulled.  The second roast hit 205 F eight minutes after the first was pulled.  The smoker continued to dive in temperature and I hit the power down when the pellet engine probe went below 150 F.     
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:06:53 PM by JoeGrilling »

JoeGrilling

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 02:14:34 PM »

Yup.  Classic flame out.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »

Do you think you could fab something like tuning plates used on the Evil Stick burners?
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

JoeGrilling

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:56 PM »

Do you think you could fab something like tuning plates used on the Evil Stick burners?

That's actually a great idea.  I didn't know these things existed.  I'm thinking 1/4" steel with each plate section following the contour of my diffuser which is 7" high and 14" across.   The width I need to think about.  It will likely be around 4".   

JoeGrilling

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 04:46:23 PM »

I did the dishwasher test on the grill grates from my pork shoulder cook.  They came out pretty well.  I put the three grates in and did a heavy wash.  I used the Cascade Platinum pods. All grease and the hard to scrub off heavy crud was removed.  The only downside was my grates had a substance on them like the brake dust on car wheels.  You can easily wipe it off but it won't come off by spraying with hot water.  I wiped them down in the sink with Dawn and a sponge, rinsed and life was good.   

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 10:31:33 PM »

Ummmm, Raybestos pork shoulder...
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 10:35:49 PM »

Oh!  I finally got it.  I had to look back.  "[M]y grates had a substance on them like the brake dust on car wheels."  A thinking man's comedian.

EDIT:  Close quote.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:36:22 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

JoeGrilling

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 10:44:58 PM »

Yep I'm guessing it was plain old non-water soluble soot.  It requires wiping to remove.  I was really surprised that all the hard to get off stuff was gone but this film was left. 

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »

Yup.  Classic flame out.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Just curious as to the vast amount of "fines". Pellets OK - typical flame-out. The fines baffle me..Am I missing something?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up