Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Brisket ?  (Read 1857 times)

Flboy76

• Using less gas.
Brisket ?
« on: September 19, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »

Will be doing a 15# brisket (before trimming) this weekend, question do you remove the point before or after the cook?  Would you remove before wrapping ?  Plan on doing burnt ends, of course this is my first try at all of this! Thanks for any help.
Floyd Camp Chef DLX Webber Kettle

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Brisket ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »

Honestly it is a personal decision. The best advice is to try both ways and see what you like. If I had to pick one I would say after the cook.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »

When I plan to make burnt ends from the entire point, I separate before the cook so get more bark.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 04:17:34 PM »

Honestly it is a personal decision. The best advice is to try both ways and see what you like. If I had to pick one I would say after the cook.
That is how I do it also, then cube etc. for the burnt ends.

egmont

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 10:08:37 PM »

I've tried both ways and have decided I like separating prior to cooking. I take the point to a higher temp than the flat.
GMG Daniel Boone Weber Genesis E-330

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 10:18:40 AM »

I think a lot of it depend on the size of the brisket, the way it was cut (type of butcher - local or a packing house.) and the type of brisket (animal it came from, prime, choice type.)  I did one for someone just yesterday it was 11 lbs and had had good marbling throughout. Just from the looks I could tell it did not have a a lot of meat on the point so I decided to cook it whole. Took right at 12 hours to cook.  I started slicing after letting it rest for 1.5 hours, and once I got to the point I noticed it had quite a bit of fat between the point and flat, something I couldn't tell after trimming it. I cooked it to right around 198. Lots of flavor using the Aaron Franklin salt and pepper method. 

triplebq

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 11:05:25 AM »

Will be doing a 15# brisket (before trimming) this weekend, question do you remove the point before or after the cook?  Would you remove before wrapping ?  Plan on doing burnt ends, of course this is my first try at all of this! Thanks for any help.

As you can see by the many responses, you can cook a brisket many different ways. A friend of mine asked me to help him cook his first brisket and this is what I told him.

Please note this is one man's way of cooking a brisket.

1. Trim the brisket of excess fat, etc. Anything that doesn't look good, remove it.
2. Inject the brisket. I go between Butcher's Brisket Injection and Kosmos Brisket Injection. This is an optional step
3. Into the fridge overnight
4. Fire up the pit to 180. While the pit is coming up to temp apply rub to brisket. Use whatever you like.
5. Onto the pit @ 180 for 6-8 hours. I like to put mine on at 10 PM until 6 AM. I also use a smoke tube/enhancer for added smoke.
6. Around 6 AM wrap the brisket in foil. Add a can of beef consomme. Turn pit up to 250.
7. Start checking for doneness around 198 - 203.
8. Separate the point/flat. Cube the point and put back on the pit in a foil pan. Add bbq sauce or beef consomme. Store the flat in a cooler, or whatever.
9. Check the burnt ends after 2 hours to see if they are where you like them. If not cook longer.

Flboy76

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »

Thanks for the all of the impute, not sure which way to go, but will post cook when completed.     
Floyd Camp Chef DLX Webber Kettle

Ralphie

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »

Triple's recipe looks really good.  Dumb question...would butcher paper hold any added liquid like the beef consomme?  Would that defeat the purpose of using butcher paper instead of foil?  I recently bought a roll of paper but haven't used it yet.   
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

triplebq

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 10:46:22 AM »

Triple's recipe looks really good.  Dumb question...would butcher paper hold any added liquid like the beef consomme?  Would that defeat the purpose of using butcher paper instead of foil?  I recently bought a roll of paper but haven't used it yet.

I have never added liquid to butcher paper but I have heard of others adding liquid. I say go for it and let us know how it turns out.

rdsbucks

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »

Triple do you know of any nuances relevant to the PG500 when making brisket? I am attempting one this weekend. Thanks!
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

Will putting the brisket in a foil pan and covering it work instead of wrapping in foil?  It never fails that I have a leak whenever I wrap something.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

JeffCO

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »

Will putting the brisket in a foil pan and covering it work instead of wrapping in foil?  It never fails that I have a leak whenever I wrap something.

This is how I usually do mine.  I slice onions about 3/8" thick to set the brisket on, then add some beef broth.  The onions are pretty great after cooking in the broth and juices.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »

I've never done brisket in a pan but I always finish pork butts in a pan to collect juices. For brisket, I double wrap them in foil keeping all of the seams facing up and all probes exiting from the top.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »

This is how I usually do mine.  I slice onions about 3/8" thick to set the brisket on, then add some beef broth.  The onions are pretty great after cooking in the broth and juices.

As mentioned, I don't use a pan but the onions sound like a good idea and should work just as well in foil. Thanks for the suggestion.  :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up