Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Prime Rib???  (Read 3444 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Re: Prime Rib???
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »

As stated, it all depend on how you trim them.  They are just beef back ribs, the only ribs worth eating!  Depending on how thick, 275°, bone down for about 4 hours and they should be wonderful!

Being the butcher trimmed them I will make a decision on what to do with them when I get it defrosted.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »

It is the day before my first Christmas Prime Rib.  I plan on putting the rub/paste on tonight.  I will be using my rotisserie to do it and I will have the smoker temperature at 225.  Once it gets around 110 degrees in the deepest part I plan turning the smoker up to 450.  Once it gets to this temperature I will stop the rotisserie and insert my Maverick meat thermometer to monitor it closely.   

Any idea how long it will take to get up 110?  I am thinking it won't take long to get up to 125.  From what I have read the meat temperature will rise about 10 degrees.  Is this correct?  I want it medium rare.

Any issues or concerns with how I want to do this?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »

15-20 minutes a pound to get to 125 but that depends on what temp you start at.  If you want more smoke, put it on right out of the fridge.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dk117

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »

15-20 minutes a pound to get to 125 but that depends on what temp you start at.  If you want more smoke, put it on right out of the fridge.
This is one of the items I'm confused about.  To get a solid medium rare aren't you supposed to bring up to room temp for an hour or so before going on the pit?   Doesn't this help with even cooking?   No argument that straight from fridge will get you more smoke, but I'm now worried about uneven cooking.

Thanks in advance.  Everyone please post results, mine is frenched and trussed and seasoned, but won't go on the pit until the 26th. 

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2024 Napoleon Phantom 500 Prestige

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »

I can't help you guys...as I switched to about 2-3 hours in the smoker at 200°, in fridge to cool, in vac seal, and then into sous vide at 135° for 6 hours.  Cool for a day in fridge and then slice into thin slices for sandwiches.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2018, 07:34:54 AM »

As always when smoking something new I think about how to do it all night.  My thought last night was when to do the high temperature to sear it some.  My original thought was to reverse sear it to get more smoke into it.  But I then thought about the chances of a fire while doing this.  But will there be enough fat to catch anything on fire.  I will have a drip pan under it with some beef broth.  Maybe I will need to remove it when I start the searing.  My web searches this morning say to sear it first but these are on grills not smokers.

I plan on starting this around 10 this morning.  So any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note Merry Christmas everyone.

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2018, 10:17:29 AM »

My  :2cents: is to sear outside first then slowly bring internal temp up to desired temp. My thinking is if you slowly bring internal temp up first you risk overshooting when searing the outside.

That's how I cook mine.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2018, 10:35:41 AM »

My  :2cents: is to sear outside first then slowly bring internal temp up to desired temp. My thinking is if you slowly bring internal temp up first you risk overshooting when searing the outside.

That's how I cook mine.

Mudflap

Will it still get some smoke if I do it like this?  Also will I be wasting my time by using a smoke tube?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »

FWIW, I do almost all of my searing (for color and Maillard effect) after smoke-roasting.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

litzerski

• Using less gas.
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2018, 12:23:05 PM »

Only sear first if you want a thick layer of gray, overcooked meat.  A low-heat reverse sear is the best way to achieve an edge to edge pink prime rib.
Blaz'n Grid Iron
Kamado Joe Big Joe II
Vertical Propane Smoker

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »

This is the way I cook and I have never experienced this, I guess I have been lucky all these years!

Only sear first if you want a thick layer of gray, overcooked meat.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

bregent

« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2018, 03:39:55 PM »

>You will not see hardly any increase in IT while resting.

I was surprised at how much our 10lb roast coasted yesterday. Cooked at 250 and pulled at 127, and it rose up to 135 after about 30 minutes before it started to decrease. Would have thought it would be just a few degrees, but I think the mass is also a determining factor along with the cook temp.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2018, 04:01:52 PM »

The end result of the prime rib was that it was great.  I will post a detailed reply with pictures and details after my nap.  Our Yorkie was begging for more.  To top it off we all had a piece of my wife's coconut pie including Sophie (Yorkie).  She licks the plates.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2018, 06:22:43 PM »

Good to hear!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2018, 08:34:52 PM »

The end result of the prime rib was that it was great.

Yes, that's good to hear.  You deserve it, after all of the planning you've done.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up