Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prime Rib???  (Read 3443 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Re: Prime Rib???
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2018, 09:05:12 PM »

There were two negatives to a successful smoke.  Number 1 was my rotisserie would not work.  All it would do was hum.  Number two is I wish I could have some of the great tasting crust inside the prime rib.  My wife got the first outside piece and has already decided she will get the other outside piece.

Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2018, 09:23:14 PM »

This is the way I cook and I have never experienced this, I guess I have been lucky all these years!

Only sear first if you want a thick layer of gray, overcooked meat.

Me too. Never had any gray on a quick hot sear first.
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you.  Now you have a game plan for future cooks.  Looking forward to the pics.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Mudflap

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »

There were two negatives to a successful smoke.  Number 1 was my rotisserie would not work.  All it would do was hum.  Number two is I wish I could have some of the great tasting crust inside the prime rib.  My wife got the first outside piece and has already decided she will get the other outside piece.

What kind of seasoning did you diced to go with? Did you end up cooking it on the grates with rotisserie down? Temps?

Mudflap

litzerski

• Using less gas.
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »

This is the way I cook and I have never experienced this, I guess I have been lucky all these years!

Only sear first if you want a thick layer of gray, overcooked meat.

Me too. Never had any gray on a quick hot sear first.
Scientifically, you'll have less gray meat with the reverse-sear method.  By starting the roast out at a low-hot temperature (250 or less) for a couple of hours, the outside of the roast will already be warm to hot and dry prior to searing.  Searing already hot and dry meat will take less than half of the energy as cool, wet meat.

Searing first requires that you heat the meat up from fridge (or room) temperature to 310 degrees (which we all know is the temperature that the Maillard reaction occurs).  Add this larger temperature differential with the fact that way more moisture still resides in the far outer layer of the roast and it's simple to see that it'll take far more effort (and heat and time) for a proper sear. 

I'm not saying that you cannot achieve great results any other way than the reverse sear (I've cooked wonderful prime ribs before I've "discovered" this method).  I am saying that if you want to diminish the gray layer, the reverse sear is your best bet.
Blaz'n Grid Iron
Kamado Joe Big Joe II
Vertical Propane Smoker

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »

See, I despise the texture of beef that has been "reverse seared".
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »

To answer Mudflap first I used a combination of his rub (less salt) and OakRidge Black OPS Brisket Rub.  This was all mixed together in olive oil to make a paste.  The roast had Worcestershire sauce put on it prior to the rub.  It turned out great.

Being the rotisserie would not work I put my second rack in where I could have a pan with beef broth in it.  I also had Lumberjack Char-Blend pellets in my smoke tube.  Being I was undecided on when to sear it I did it at the beginning.  I started the smoker and set it to 500.  When the temperature got to 225 I put the  roast in.  Once it got to 500 I let it stay there for 20 minutes.  All of this is done with my two piece tray in the smoking setup.  When I reached the 20 minutes I reduced the temperature to 225 a 100 degrees at a time.  The meat temperature at that time was 55.  I did have the roast on the counter about 30 minutes before putting it on the smoker.  It took about 30 minutes to cool down and what surprised me was the meat temperature rose up 20 degrees to 75. 

After two hours the meat temperature finally got up 120.  At this time we were getting hungry being it was 1:30.  So I adjusted the temperature back up to 500 and watched it closely with my maverick probe.  Within 20 minutes it was 130 and I pulled it off and wrapped it in foil to rest.  At that time I brought in the pan with the au jus.  I kept about a 1/2 of beef broth in it at all times.  When I unwrapped it I was prepared for the additional juice, but there was only a little until I started carving.  The juice poured out then.  As previously posted my wife got the end piece being she wanted her's to be done a little more.  She got the best piece.

Below are some pictures.  I always forget to take them just prior to cutting anything.  We sliced up some more of it today and will do this for at least two more days.  We will split the other end piece and we each get a rib bone.  The au jus was especially good with the garlic/cheese mashed potatoes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:03:58 PM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Mudflap

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2018, 03:39:01 PM »

Looks good. Wife always gets the ends in our house also  :)

Mudflap
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up