Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bent's Sous Vide Questions  (Read 851 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Bent's Sous Vide Questions
« on: November 10, 2018, 06:47:09 PM »

So I have a small section of rib-roast (maybe 1.5lbs) and carrots, celery, jalapenos and onion together in the bath at 155°.  I set it for 5 hours (been about 4) can you have vegetables in the bath to long or is it like meat and it cant be over cooked?

It looks like I just made some beef stock and the vegies are history!

Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
Re: Bent's Sous Vide Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »

I think it's all about temp and time. Size may be a factor as well.

Peas may be done at 130 for an hour. Corn at 45 minutes. Taters? 150 for an hour or more?

While I understand the concept; I struggle with the results when it comes to cooking multiple items at the same time.   :(

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 08:22:22 PM »

I took it out about 30 minutes ago, meat was not fork tender (not even close), but it was Choice Rib Roast, so it was not bad.  Vegetables, still hard, not sure why I thought cooking them at 155° they would be mush in 4 hours.  Need to think it through sometimes.  Should have been closer to boiling water temperatures if you want it done that fast.  I did not feel like bagging it back up and getting equipment out again, so into sauce pan and will braise till stew like!

All good data for my future needs!

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »

Every thing that I have read indicates that most vegetables are sous vide at 180-186°. You will probably benefit from the added flavor but I don't know how eatable they will be.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 12:53:23 AM »

Every thing that I have read indicates that most vegetables are sous vide at 180-186°. You will probably benefit from the added flavor but I don't know how eatable they will be.

I have not tried it yet but everything I have read was veggies in the 190+ range for about an hour.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:37:39 AM »

I have only used my SV machine for beef however everything I have read about vegetables is that they cook at a higher temp.  I would recommend if you have not all ready go on Chef steps or not SV webpage or facebook page to see what they recommend.  I am also awaiting my second SV machine so i can cook both at the same time

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »

I do fresh green beans at 183 for 60-70 mins and sweet corn for like 45 at that temp. Wife loves asparagus sous vide and I like brocolli. All veggies I've done are at those temps so far. Honestly, I think the veggies sous vide are better than meat. I bought a second sous vide though just to cook meat and veggies for the same meal. Fresh green beans with a little olive oil, garlic pepper and kosher/sea salt sous vide are fabulous.

Hardest part with vegges is getting all the air out of the bag, mine usually have binder clips with butter knives to hold them down.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 12:50:36 PM »

Next time I do vegetables I will try in that 185° range...

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »

I have read was veggies in the 190+ range for about an hour.

Pectin, the glue that gives vegetables their firmness, starts to dissolve at 183°. Many vegetables cooked for more than 15 minutes or so at 190+° will over cook and become mushy. Most do well between 183° and 186° for an hour. I like vegetables al dente so I use a slightly lower temperature.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »

I have read was veggies in the 190+ range for about an hour.

Pectin, the glue that gives vegetables their firmness, starts to dissolve at 183°. Many vegetables cooked for more than 15 minutes or so at 190+° will over cook and become mushy. Most do well between 183° and 186° for an hour. I like vegetables al dente so I use a slightly lower temperature.

Good to know.  I have not tried it yet.  I will try in the 185° range for the first try and adjust from there if necessary.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »

This was a 33oz. (2lb.) USDA Choice Angus Tri-tip from Restaurant Depot, not sure what meat company.  It was 24 hours at 130°f.  I was lazy so I seared it in the oven instead of the Pro.  It is good but...

For me, tri-tip needs a bit of a bite, the tenderness of this was more like a properly grilled Beef Tenderloin.  I am sure that some are thinking what is this fool going on about.  I came from a land where Tri-tip was grilled and as I said, had a bit of a tug!  12 hours next time and grill on Memphis Pro for 3 minutes a side...I think that will tighten it up a bit too!  Maybe not, that is why I a going to do one that is grilled for 3 minutes a side 1st, then sous vide!

Then I am going to buy another bag when I am in Richmond on January 4th!  Arguably the best quality Tri-tip I have ever purchased, including the USDA Prime at Burbank Costco last Feb!

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »

Man that does look good.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 12:48:28 PM »

I wish now I had not been lazy last night and had taken a picture of the interior when cut.  It was that Fire Engine Red, completely different then the cold color!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »

Interesting how that fat running down the center dissipates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up