Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas supper ideas  (Read 1097 times)

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Christmas supper ideas
« on: December 22, 2018, 01:15:59 PM »

time to start my own brainstorming thread.   We discovered yesterday we're hosting 17 for supper on the 26th. So our traditional rib roast and dungeness crab for the 25th is moved to the 26th.   

So what else is good for Christmas day?  We're about turkeyed out and aren't lamb people. 

Please let me know what you're cooking or if you have any other ideas.  Of course bonus points for ensuring I get to fire up the pit on Christmas day!

Thanks

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2024 Napoleon Phantom 500 Prestige

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Christmas supper ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 01:20:56 PM »

We are going somewhat different this year -- Beef Stroganoff .  I was watching Ina Garten the other day and got a couple of ideas for sides.  A simple carrot and turnip dish braised in orange juice and a shredded brussel sprout dish, sauteed with shallots and bacon bits for a few minutes, then lightly coated with balsamic vinegar.  Might serve that as a warm salad.

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 01:57:51 PM »

Duck is good, when I lived alone that was Christmas dinner. Usually had a nice salmon fillet for thanksgiving. I have never smoked duck though I see folks do.

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »

I've purchased a whole beef tenderloin USDA Choice from Sams Club. It's trimmed up and have a tad over 6 pounds ready to salt overnight, season, and plop on the Advantage.

We do things around here on the afternoon/evening of the 24th. We'll do a salad with it, twice baked potatoes, veggies, rolls, and an array of desserts.
It's pretty hard to screw up something as simple as beef tenderloin, + after it comes off the smokin pellets everybody thinks you're some kindofa spectacular chef.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »

Smoke a ham.  It only takes about 3 hours to get to 140°.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 03:48:10 PM »

I'm doing a 18# 7 bone prime rib on the pit.
ABT's and stuffed mushrooms as appetizers.

Throughout the afternoon/evening, the usual veggies and chips with a warm bacon and blue cheese dip that just doesn't last long. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 03:51:43 PM by mowin »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 04:03:51 PM »

Here is the winner for me!

I've purchased a whole beef tenderloin USDA Choice from Sams Club. It's trimmed up and have a tad over 6 pounds ready to salt overnight, season, and plop on the Advantage.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »

I've bought a ham and a turkey breast from Sam's.  Gonna throw them on the Memphis at between 250°-275° tomorrow for about 90-120 minutes for dinner with my parents tomorrow.  The meat just needs a reheat and it gets a touch of smoke flavor to it too.  I may throw some burgers on too and then vac seal them for easy reheating over the winter.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »

+1 on Ham.

You will have Beef and Seafood next day and you said your already Turkey-ed out so it seams like Pork would be good choice. :2cents:

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Clonesmoker

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »

Going way out there this year. Ordered the 6 pack from Giordano's Pizza this year. Keeping it simple. Anyone ever cook one of these on a smoker?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 07:28:40 PM »

Going way out there this year. Ordered the 6 pack from Giordano's Pizza this year. Keeping it simple. Anyone ever cook one of these on a smoker?

Deep dish?  That had to be about $200.  Have you ever had them before?  I hope you enjoy it.  It is certainly a unique dinner for Christmas.

I have to admit, I was not a deep dish fan while living in Chicagoland for 15 years.  But, I grew up eating NY style pizza in Eastern PA and my brother married into an Italian family that owned a pizza shop so I am a bit biased. ;)
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dk117

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 09:04:37 PM »

+1 on Ham.

You will have Beef and Seafood next day and you said your already Turkey-ed out so it seams like Pork would be good choice. :2cents:

Mudflap

You're right you know.  This is the obvious answer.  You've made my wife happy.   Thanks.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2024 Napoleon Phantom 500 Prestige

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »

If you start with the ham at room temperature it'll get to 140°F in 2½ to 3 hours.  I always throw away the glaze that comes with it.  There are hundreds of better glaze recipes on the Internet.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »

Definitely not traditional, but a winner for all day socialization is feijoada, a medley of meats stewed into a delightful taste treat. I served it at our international food club members a couple of years ago and it was a big hit.
PZ

Clonesmoker

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »

Deep dish?  That had to be about $200.  Have you ever had them before?  I hope you enjoy it.  It is certainly a unique dinner for Christmas.

I have to admit, I was not a deep dish fan while living in Chicagoland for 15 years.  But, I grew up eating NY style pizza in Eastern PA and my brother married into an Italian family that owned a pizza shop so I am a bit biased. ;)

I've had Gino's East and Giordano's while in Chicago. The meaty legend from Gino's is awesome!  The 6 pack was $129 including 2nd day Fed Ex delivery. Foam boxes and packed in dry ice. My daughter loves it and the rest of the family has never had it so, something a little different
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:40:34 PM by Bentley »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up