Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It did not taste like I expected...  (Read 512 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
It did not taste like I expected...
« on: February 01, 2019, 02:55:52 PM »

The bread is just a large roll I saw at Restaurant Depot.  I always thought a Po Boy was soft out side and grilled inside with butter and garlic. Not sure if that is accurate or not?   Made a spread, obviously it is supposed to be a Remoulade, but I had no horseradish, cayenne pepper, or  lime ponzu, so I cant call it that.   Then the standard lettuce, tomato and sweet pickle.  And then the fried shrimp that I ran through a milk, egg and spice wash, then through a blend of AP flour, corn meal and more spices, cooked fro 3 minutes. 

Sure is disappointing when ya go to all the trouble and it has zero flavor!  Please help me, and post your tips on how to make it better!

Bacon is a Gateway Food...

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: It did not taste like I expected...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:34:19 PM »

Being born and raised in New Orleans, a Po Boy uses a very crusty French bread or baguette. Most that I've eaten use the baguette size.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »

I knew that, I just do not like a hard outer bread with a sandwich. It always makes my sandwich fillings squeeze out, and I hate that.  But you are spot on regarding the bread!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:02:10 PM »

what were you expecting it to be like?  I don't eat shrimp so never had a shrimp po'boy to know what to expect.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:31:12 PM »

Not really sure how a "traditional" deep Louisana Po Boy should taste.  I've only had maybe 2 or 3 and one of those was a Popeyes.  Kristin felt the shrimp was over seasoned, and I felt like I was eating a lettuce, tomato and mayo sandwich.  I do realize the sauce was way to bland, and a true remoulade might be the ticket.  And hughver may have also hit it on the head and it must be a baguette to make it taste correct.

Or like many things, it tastes just the way it is supposed to and I have some other vision of the flavor in my mind...The real disappointing thing is, you cant go out and have one anywhere local to know.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »

should have thrown some hot sauce on it
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »

Ditch the tomatoes. Unless they're hot house tomatoes from a farmers market, tomatoes in Winter will have zero flavor, and will just dilute the other flavors in the sandwich. They made add some nice color, but it's not worth it. Can't understand why we still can't get good tasting tomatoes from the supermarket.

Other than that, if the individual components of the sandwich had good flavor, then it should taste good. Probably just need more seasoning on the shrimp and sauce.

Sure looks great though.

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »

I'm pretty hard core when it comes to seafood. Its' taste is easily negated.

Shrimp to me is stand alone (or in a cocktail (not the drink)).
In a salad where the veggies are near tasteless.
Mixed with pasta (which is usually near tasteless).

Bentley, do you use a lot of salt when cooking? Do you consume a lot of salt filled items? Salt will kill your taste if used in excess.

I'm an ex-smoker; but quit the salt years before I became tobacco free. It made a huge difference. Now it's even more so.

It's very much like smoking meat. Stick burners are hard core 'smoke flavor'. Pellet users (given time for withdrawals) come around to realize that 'taste' outweighs smoke content.

:2cents:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »

Shrimp has such a delicate flavor that combined with anything at all pretty much makes the shrimp taste negligible.  Now an oyster po-boy could hit the spot.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:59:37 PM »

I think I will stick to a nice shrimp n linguine with a butter and garlic sauce, or shrimp n snow peas with lo mein!  I do love oyster Po Boys, but refuse to use the canned stuff and not a large supply here in Mayberry!

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 09:07:55 PM »

Traditionally the crust is thin and crispy with a soft crumb.  I grew up eating Leidenheimer's bread unless mom was in the mood to bake.  The Vietnamese bakeries usually make something similar if you have any nearby.  Fried shrimp po-boys are one of my favorites.   :clap:

Ross77

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 09:46:08 PM »

Needs more Old Bay... ;D
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 10:11:35 AM »

Prior to sous vide, I always fried my shrimp or ate them in a sauce or cocktail. The problem is, as Bobitis mentioned, shrimp are delicate and even a light coating on the shrimp diminishes the flavor. I now sous vide all of my shrimp for any type of dish, or sandwich. If it's for a curry, a pasta dish or even shrimp creole and jambalaya, I add the sous vide shrimp at the last minute after the sauce has cooled a bit. You will not believe how much better the shrimp taste when sous vide at 130° for 30 minutes. BTW, I boil the shells for an hour or so and use the broth to cook rice, pasta or for the dish liquid to add more shrimp flavor. :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 12:36:30 PM »

I did regret throwing them shells in the fire place, but I was way to lazy to make stock yesterday!
Pages: [1]   Go Up