Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous Viding a Corned Beef Flat  (Read 728 times)

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Sous Viding a Corned Beef Flat
« on: February 01, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »

I just made one from a choice corned beef packer from Costco. I cut off the point end and boiled for corned beef and made Reuben's.  I soaked the flat in water for one hour, then seasoned with pastrami spices and left 2 days in fridge, then smoked at 200F till 150. Cut that in half and vac sealed and froze one part. The other part I steamed until tender. It was very salty even after soaking for an hour. Corned beef is usually intended to be boiled, and a good amount of salt will come out during that process. If you're making pastrami, soaking removes some of the salt that would otherwise come out in the boiling process. But it's a personal preference for sure.

Now, the part that I froze I plan on cooking SV. It's already been smoked to 150 but is not at all tender. Any recommendations for SV times and temps?

Oh and the 'uncured' label is BS as we all know. It contained celery extract and definitely had a cured taste and color.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:26:07 PM by bregent »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Sous Viding a Corned Beef Flat
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 09:13:06 PM »

Thank you, as I was just getting ready to ask that question.

Oh and the 'uncured' label is BS as we all know. It contained celery extract and definitely had a cured taste and color.

What is the weight and thickness of the piece you want to SV?
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

bregent

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:34:51 PM »

Thank you, as I was just getting ready to ask that question.

What is the weight and thickness of the piece you want to SV?

2lbs and 2 inches thick.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:41:12 AM »

Now, the part that I froze I plan on cooking SV. It's already been smoked to 150 but is not at all tender. Any recommendations for SV times and temps?

Since you have already brought it up to 150°, I'd just sous vide at 150° for maybe 36 hours. I normally sous vide brisket at 132° for 48-56 hours and it turns out very tender.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »

That is a small cut of meat.   I'm not sure you need to go more than 6 hours with it.  Maybe try it after six with a slice.  If it is not what you want, they go with the longer hour sous vide recommendation.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 03:11:43 PM »

That is a small cut of meat.   I'm not sure you need to go more than 6 hours with it.  Maybe try it after six with a slice.  If it is not what you want, they go with the longer hour sous vide recommendation.

What temp you think?

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 04:42:36 PM »

Since you have already brought it up to 150°, I'd just sous vide at 150° for maybe 36 hours. I normally sous vide brisket at 132° for 48-56 hours and it turns out very tender.

Hugh,
Do you use an ice chest or some sort of insulated container for such long "cooking" times?  I have seen the franken cooler and the neoprene thingy on Amazon.  I have only used a pot so far.
thanks

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 08:37:30 PM »

Hugh,
Do you use an ice chest or some sort of insulated container for such long "cooking" times?  I have seen the franken cooler and the neoprene thingy on Amazon.  I have only used a pot so far.
thanks

I don't think insulation matters in my limited experience.  I think the key is having something large enough so that the food always stays underwater during the entire cook at the temp you set your sous vide circulator.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 01:35:50 AM »

Do you use an ice chest or some sort of insulated container for such long "cooking" times?

Yes, for large items like brisket, chuck roast or racks of ribs, I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMB8QK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  that I've cut a hole in one corner for the sous vide circulator, . For long cook smaller items , I have this group of items: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077WCPKHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VARW8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L6PRY8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I hope that this helps.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 08:49:28 AM »

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your results.  I have most of the same stuff as hughver along with a few larger plastic containers and the self contained 10qt Dash Chef sous vide machine that Sams has for $100.

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 09:20:30 PM »

Do you use an ice chest or some sort of insulated container for such long "cooking" times?

Yes, for large items like brisket, chuck roast or racks of ribs, I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMB8QK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  that I've cut a hole in one corner for the sous vide circulator, . For long cook smaller items , I have this group of items: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077WCPKHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VARW8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L6PRY8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I hope that this helps.

Yep, those are items I was looking at.
Thanks for the links and information, it's appreciated.

rughead

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 10:07:38 AM »

Hughver,
You said.. "I normally sous vide brisket at 132° for 48-56 hours and it turns out very tender".
Is your Brisket already smoked to a specific temp? I want to Sous Vide one also. I am thinking of
a 3-4 hour smoke til IT is around 160, let cool. Vac seal and Sous Vide.
What would your temp and Sous Vide temp recommendations be? Am I even close in my thinking?
I am not trying to do Corned Beef, just a different way to do Brisket.
Thanks...   :bbq:
Traeger Texas 075

hughver

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »

Yes, I smoke my brisket for 3-4 hours at 160° (to obtain maximum smoke) before placing into sous vide. The IT is normally 120-125° so I don't bother to cool. Like I mentioned previously, I sous vide at 132° for 48-54 hours. If you smoke to an IT of 160°, I see no point in sous vide at 132° since the meat is already cooked to 160°, it will be well done not medium rare. Also, if you smoke to 160° and sous vide at 160°, the time should be much shorter, maybe 16-24 hours.

I should note that I prepare my briskets somewhat differently than most people. I separate the point from the flat, trim off all visible fat, season,  let sit over night,  sometimes inject and re-season before placing on the grill.

rughead

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »

Do you put back on the smoker naked or wrapped to hit 195-203 IT after you Sous Vide,
or slice and eat?
What is your reason for separating?
Traeger Texas 075

hughver

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »

Do you put back on the smoker naked or wrapped to hit 195-203 IT after you Sous Vide,
or slice and eat?

What is your reason for separating?

I cook sous vide for 48 hours for the same season that people cook to 195-203°, to break down the tough interconnective tissues. These tissues start to break down at 130° and after 48 hours at 132° or when 203° is reached normally, they are almost completely dissolved, no need to do both. I about 50/50, slice and eat or do a quick sear, 1-2 minutes per side at 550°+. When I sear, IT is typically 134-136° when I plate.

I separate for two reasons, easier to put into vacuum bags and exposes way more meat to the smoke environment. I trim off all of the fat for the same reasons, plus it eliminates unsightly fat from the plate.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up