Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Grizzly Cast Iron Pans  (Read 1886 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Grizzly Cast Iron Pans
« on: February 13, 2019, 05:16:12 PM »

I've been thinking that the Stargazer CI pans are the most desirable.  When you have an idle moment, check out the Grizzly nickel plated CI pans.  I don't have one...yet.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Grizzly Cast Iron Pans
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:53:04 PM »

Curious what you cook in your CI, and how often?
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Jimsbarbecue

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:40:12 PM »

I have a stargazer pan and wouldn’t recommend it. The seasoning peels off. Tried reseasoning many times with the same results. Next time I will have it sandblasted. I think they’re finished to smooth

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:25:58 AM »

I have a stargazer pan and wouldn’t recommend it. The seasoning peels off. Tried reseasoning many times with the same results. Next time I will have it sandblasted. I think they’re finished to smooth

You're not a rookie (I've enjoyed your posts for years), so it's obvious that your methods and choice of seasoning oil are appropriate.  Do you know of other Stargazer users with similar problems? 

Your pan may be an anomaly.  It wouldn't hurt to talk with their Customer Service people.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:32:50 AM »

Curious what you cook in your CI, and how often?

All of my plain CI pans were sold in a church garage sale a while back.  Now I have one that I use, maybe, a couple of times a month for searing after sous vide or smoking, raw fried potatoes and anything that requires a pan with good heat retention.  It's the only frying pan that I'll put into the smoker.
Paul

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:28:50 AM »

"It's the only frying pan that I'll put into the smoker."

You might say the proverbial: "from the frying pan into the fire."

I couldn't resist.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »

I had a look. Nice looking pans - expensive and on the thin side (light weight ). Not sure about the coating. Even polished stainless pans have food stick to them, especially for the several cooks..I suspect the

nickel coating applied to a polished surface would be similar.

Seasoning on cast cookware is an involved process taking several cooks making sure not to cook certain foods that are acidic or foods surrounded with water. Fried onions and potatoes with lots of oil and

frequent stirring are good example of getting cast iron off to a good start..Just oil coating and baking in the oven no matter how many times, only generates a base coat that must be followed-up with

subsequent cooks as described above..Trying to turn seasoning black comes with time ( many proper uses ) and if done in the oven on new C I will result in hard burnt coating that will not adhere resulting in

fine black flakes. Once a proper seasoning has been developed, is is impervious to almost anything cooking can throw at it... Some of C I seasoning tips are to wipe on a thin layer of oil, heat, wipe off and

bake on until dry, below the smoke point of the oil. After that, just keep using the cookware. Cook, clean, dry, heat, oil very lightly, wipe and store...Proper seasoning can't be rushed.  :2cents:

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »

Olvida made nickel plated CI pans a few years ago and then just seemed to go out of business.  Their pans looked a lot like the Grizzlys, but all CI pans look much alike.
Paul

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 04:01:13 PM »

I will start this by saying I know nothing about cast iron pans.  What makes the one's being discussed here better than Lodge?  That is the only name I have ever seen in stores that I recall.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »

Have you checked out Field Company cast iron pans?

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 05:41:17 PM »

I will start this by saying I know nothing about cast iron pans.  What makes the one's being discussed here better than Lodge?  That is the only name I have ever seen in stores that I recall.

Supposedly these need absolutely no seasoning due to the nickel coating/infusion. So the heat retention of CI without the hassle of maintaining. Seems too good to be true.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »

What makes the one's being discussed here better than Lodge?  That is the only name I have ever seen in stores that I recall.

Lodge is my least favorite CI pan, although they have a broad user base.  I don't care for them because they have such a rough finish.  (Actually, no finish, I think.  I think they sell them in the condition in which they come out of the mold.)  But...some members here have stated that they like the rough finish.  Those comments were in this thread.

Most of the old cast iron pans our grandmothers used were excellent, but the people who inherited them know that collectors snap them up, so they sell rather dearly.
Paul

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 10:23:07 PM »

What makes the one's being discussed here better than Lodge?  That is the only name I have ever seen in stores that I recall.

Lodge is my least favorite CI pan, although they have a broad user base.  I don't care for them because they have such a rough finish.  (Actually, no finish, I think.  I think they sell them in the condition in which they come out of the mold.)  But...some members here have stated that they like the rough finish.  Those comments were in this thread.

Most of the old cast iron pans our grandmothers used were excellent, but the people who inherited them know that collectors snap them up, so they sell rather dearly.

I have 2 Lodge CI pans. One was quite rough when new and the other was not. The rough one did take longer to season and break in. They are both smooth now...I guess I wore the rough off.

Jimsbarbecue

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 12:42:45 AM »

You're not a rookie (I've enjoyed your posts for years), so it's obvious that your methods and choice of seasoning oil are appropriate.  Do you know of other Stargazer users with similar problems? 

Your pan may be an anomaly.  It wouldn't hurt to talk with their Customer Service people.

There have been others. Hopefully now they have had the issues resolved. If the seasoning would stay like on our Griswold pans I would use it all the time
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:20:09 AM by Bentley »

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 10:04:27 AM »

I'm not a cast iron connoisseur and generally speaking, I'm not too picky about my cookware.  However...

My mother always had cast iron pans, and I grew up using them , at least occasionally.  At times she had other cheap pans , with Teflon and such, but the only pans that really survive from her kitchen are the cast iron ones.  So, if nothing else, they do tend to have a long life span.

I bought high carbon steel frying pan from Lodge a few years back, and I actually prefer it over cast iron , for two reasons.  It's smoother... and lighter.   I bought a second high carbon steel  Lodge pan, with a lower lip on it , and then I bought a third one because I found it on sale once ( Still haven't even used it ).

I have high carbon steel wok that I use daily, I don't know who the manufacture is. 

Personally, I have no problem at all , maintaining my cast iron or high carbon steel pans.   If I could stop my wife from boiling water in them or washing them when I tell her not to.

I hate stainless for frying or sauteing , but love it for virtually everything else.   

So, while I'm not a connoisseur.   I do like what I like and so far haven't felt any need to try new stuff. :)
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up