Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke-n-Hot Grills...Too! The Eco.  (Read 27354 times)

Jlm5151

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: Smoke-n-Hot Grills...Too! The Eco.
« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2020, 10:37:18 AM »

Definitely seems like they are out of business. If I can get this brand new in the $400-500 range, I think it’s still worth it. It seems to use similar parts as some other grills out there.

RanrocSmoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #271 on: August 23, 2020, 11:20:41 AM »

Sounds like you are still happy with your SNH. When I first spoke to the partner who was available, I found him to be pleasant and helpful.  When I changed my mind the unit was already in my city, but not delivered.  I made the return without ever having possession of the pit. I had the cover which had been sent earlier (it was for the KC model?). He just told me to keep it.  That was the last time I had any contact.  I note that the website was still the post office from which it ships. (he works out of his house--or did).  I think the units are warehoused in another state.  That is all I can offer.

Sure am happy. It cooks the food I like. If I ever need to start cooking/smoking for larger parties, then I might consider something in addition, like the Camp Chef XXL due to space. But it's just our small tribe and we're more into grilling than smoking (I am smoking some spare ribs right now, through).

Dan (one of the owners that I've communicated with) seems like an upstanding guy. Very helpful and straightforward with sharing information and support.
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #272 on: August 23, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »

Definitely seems like they are out of business. If I can get this brand new in the $400-500 range, I think it’s still worth it. It seems to use similar parts as some other grills out there.

Personally I think it's worth it at that price range. As long as you are ok with knowing that there might not be ANY support or that tracking replacement parts might be time consuming, if you like the style and materials, it might be a great deal.
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »

As I recall, once you recognized that the original trouble was due to water leakage, and sealed up your hopper, etc. that you had no real other problems.  I think you also made a fan speed adjustment as well. Personally, I do like the design concept, and believe that if the owners had done a better job of marketing and managing, that they could have done well. When I spoke to the co-owner/producer early on, it appeared that there were 3 or 4 partners and he was not happy with having to do all the marketing and trouble shooting himself. I did some sleuthing and found that the web page pictures and business address were a post office box in Dallas, Tx. Some additional findings were that he works out of his house in a residential area, and a warehouse in Washington State?
It was my deduction that these guys got together, designed the pellet grill of their dreams with all the ideal features and then embarked with limited marketing, and poor support, and no full time home base.  Bottom line, a classic failure to prepare and run a business. That is my limited conclusion.

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #274 on: August 23, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »

As I recall, once you recognized that the original trouble was due to water leakage, and sealed up your hopper, etc. that you had no real other problems.  I think you also made a fan speed adjustment as well. Personally, I do like the design concept, and believe that if the owners had done a better job of marketing and managing, that they could have done well. When I spoke to the co-owner/producer early on, it appeared that there were 3 or 4 partners and he was not happy with having to do all the marketing and trouble shooting himself. I did some sleuthing and found that the web page pictures and business address were a post office box in Dallas, Tx. Some additional findings were that he works out of his house in a residential area, and a warehouse in Washington State?
It was my deduction that these guys got together, designed the pellet grill of their dreams with all the ideal features and then embarked with limited marketing, and poor support, and no full time home base.  Bottom line, a classic failure to prepare and run a business. That is my limited conclusion.
Yep, no major problems since sealing the moisture points.

Not sure what happened with their company, but they had been around for several years selling non-stainless versions of the grill (I was able to find a couple of old posts and videos somewhere from late 2000s to early 2010s if I recall correctly). The KC grill and the unit I have look just like stainless steel versions of grills they sold for years. But, to your point, poor marketing, or planning and/or execution appears a possible reason...or maybe they just didn’t want to be in the business anymore? Trying to keep up and innovate might not have been their strength.

Maybe they did it as a side gig to see if it was worth their time to do full time? I have no idea, but I do wish they stuck around because I think they had something good with this line (of course tweaks are needed and quality control is key). Solid first pellet grill for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

« Reply #275 on: August 23, 2020, 01:26:28 PM »

Yep, no major problems since sealing the moisture points.

Not sure what happened with their company, but they had been around for several years selling non-stainless versions of the grill (I was able to find a couple of old posts and videos somewhere from late 2000s to early 2010s if I recall correctly). The KC grill and the unit I have look just like stainless steel versions of grills they sold for years. But, to your point, poor marketing, or planning and/or execution appears a possible reason...or maybe they just didn’t want to be in the business anymore? Trying to keep up and innovate might not have been their strength.

Maybe they did it as a side gig to see if it was worth their time to do full time? I have no idea, but I do wish they stuck around because I think they had something good with this line (of course tweaks are needed and quality control is key). Solid first pellet grill for me!

We are basically in agreement.  I have had a similar business model in the family that failed for the some of the reasons discussed.  Great idea, good planning, good marketing, great product, but a poor management, and no one gave up their day jobs to take firm control of the day to day needs. And in particular, when there was a need to change or adjust management, there was no one to do so. Also, a big issue for failure in small businesses--Insufficient funds to maintain during the start up period.  70% of small businesses fail mostly do the poor funding.

Jlm5151

« Reply #276 on: August 27, 2020, 08:03:08 PM »

Went and looked at the KC in person today. Price is $450, brand new. Wasn’t super impressed with the quality of stainless steel. While it’s 304 stainless, the gauge isn’t anywhere near what the 430 is on my Memphis Select. Everything was pretty light weight across the board. The seller is really nice and only about 5 minutes away. He bought this as an Amazon return and hasn’t had much interest yet. I told him I’d take a couple more days to think it over. Overall, pretty solid grill and at the $450 price tag it’s probably worth it. Really like the easy maintenance involved and the slide and seat is nice. I’m just not sure this ever should have been a $1800 grill. 

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #277 on: August 27, 2020, 10:26:05 PM »

Went and looked at the KC in person today. Price is $450, brand new. Wasn’t super impressed with the quality of stainless steel. While it’s 304 stainless, the gauge isn’t anywhere near what the 430 is on my Memphis Select. Everything was pretty light weight across the board. The seller is really nice and only about 5 minutes away. He bought this as an Amazon return and hasn’t had much interest yet. I told him I’d take a couple more days to think it over. Overall, pretty solid grill and at the $450 price tag it’s probably worth it. Really like the easy maintenance involved and the slide and seat is nice. I’m just not sure this ever should have been a $1800 grill.
I think you’d get so much more for $1800 nowadays. I don’t remember what it originally sold for, but I do remember telling myself I wouldn’t pay THAT much for a KC. I’d rather have saved up for a Memphis.

I do remember that I wanted a Firecraft, and was willing to pay the $999 for that, but since they went out of business and I came across the Eco for same price, I was willing to take the risk. Can’t comment on the gauge of the metal, only that it’s similar to my old gasser, and it didn’t concern me.

Knowing what I know now, I’d buy it for $450 brand new.

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

Jlm5151

« Reply #278 on: September 10, 2020, 07:59:40 PM »

Just talked to the seller and he accepted an offer of $250 to get it out of the garage. At that price, I can’t pass it up. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2020, 08:07:18 PM »

Just talked to the seller and he accepted an offer of $250 to get it out of the garage. At that price, I can’t pass it up. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Fantastic price. Hope it works out for you!

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

okie smokie

« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2020, 08:48:59 PM »

Even I could not refuse it at that price.  Hopefully, all the controls, wiring, seams etc are intact.  Please keep us informed as you get it up and running. 

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2020, 09:51:35 PM »

...Hopefully, all the controls, wiring, seams etc are intact...

Agreed, Okie!

Hey Jlm5151...you might want to run a bead of high temp caulk in the hopper and around where the hopper meets the auger, if it hasn't already been done.
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

Jlm5151

« Reply #282 on: September 11, 2020, 12:07:25 AM »

Agreed, Okie!

Hey Jlm5151...you might want to run a bead of high temp caulk in the hopper and around where the hopper meets the auger, if it hasn't already been done.

Thanks for the advice! Do you still have the contact you mentioned earlier just in case things go south on the grill? I’m assuming most of the parts are still out there in some way shape or form, but it would be nice to have someone point me in the right direction for #s.

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #283 on: September 11, 2020, 07:00:12 AM »

Agreed, Okie!

Thanks for the advice! Do you still have the contact you mentioned earlier just in case things go south on the grill? I’m assuming most of the parts are still out there in some way shape or form, but it would be nice to have someone point me in the right direction for #s.
Sent you a PM
Keep us looped in on your journey with this

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

Jlm5151

« Reply #284 on: September 12, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »

Picked up the Kansas City last night for $250 and at that price, I have absolutely no complaints so far. It has a couple fit and finish issues and has a little damage from shipping, but nothing that hurts the performance of the grill. The stainless is pretty nice and heavy duty. Probably not to the standard of my old Memphis Select, but Memphis is also in a different price bracket. Had some initial issues with the controller being stuck in Celsius, but was able to figure out that there is a toggle on the back from a Louisiana Grill manual as they are the have the same controller. The controller is also very similar to my old Memphis ITC controller but does behave a little different. The KC seems to be more active in providing accurate temps when opening in closing the lid. The Memphis really never changes and I have a hard time believing it’s accuracy at times. I’ve reached out to Dan at Smoke N Hot grills just for a some general questions around PID settings and potential replacement parts of need be. Haven’t heard anything, but it’s only been a day or so. I’m not optimistic about a warranty of any kind, but I am optimistic he could point me in the right direction should I need anything. As others have mentioned, the removable firepot and grease trays really are a game changer. Let me know if you have any questions.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up