Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: In Search of Flavorings for Boneless, Skinless, (Tasteless) Chicken Breast  (Read 2845 times)

Mikro

• Starting to taste the Smoke.

I guess I would need to know more about the kind of flavor profiles you all like. 

You can always use teriyaki.  I think you could use a red enchilada sauce or a green chili verde sauce.  Butter and thyme is a classic.  Lemon and pepper with garlic. A jalapeno-pineapple mixture.  There are many combos.
I agree with Kristin, My wife and I use teriyaki, we slice the breast into thinner pieces and marinade. Cook on the pit then, refrigerate afterwards and use this in pasta salad..  The other with a green chile verde sauce is another we use a lot, works great in flour tortillas. :)
mk
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey

Still off track, but Bent, I like how you think.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck

Some good ideas, here.  I doubt that we'll omit the SV step.  It ensures that the breasts are cooked evenly and moist.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

Some good ideas, here.  I doubt that we'll omit the SV step.  It ensures that the breasts are cooked evenly and moist.

If you marinade them a day or two and cook them to 160° you should be able to keep them moist without sous vide.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator

I do love that Lawry's jerk sauce, but Stubb's Moppin Sauce is low carb.

Do you marinate chicken in Stubb's Moppin Sauce or do you mop it on when smoking breasts?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

glitchy

I've only been dabbling in Sous Vide, not full in on it yet. I've cooked mostly steaks, but also some chicken breasts and tried several vegetables. Veggies are by far the best in Sous Vide (fresh green beans, brocolli, and asparagus).

You cannot beat the perfect cooking nature of the meat, but every piece of meat I've cooked SV has been great tenderness and juiciness, but lacking on flavor. I haven't tried aromatics yet, but I think that might be the real key to Sous Vide, especially the stronger ones. I want to do more chicken as well to change bad habits and have been unmotivated for the same reasons. I have an indoor herb garden I'm going to setup in a couple weeks to start trying more of the herbs out.

What does fresh roasted garlic do in Sous Vide? A lot of seasonings and vegetables just don't seem to react enough to flavor meats at the lower sous vide temps. I've also debated blade tenderizing, marinading, then SV. Chicken doesn't need the tenderizing I know, but thinking the marinade might do more with all the holes.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient

For me it is stir fry or Mongolian BBQ style if I want to add flavor. Otherwise, I am perfectly fine just eating the chicken breast as is.

Someday I would like to get one of those griddles so I can do my own Mongolian BBQ.

pmillen

• Global Moderator

I think you could use a red enchilada sauce or a green chili verde sauce.  Butter and thyme is a classic.

Would you SV them, brown them and finish by drizzling red enchilada sauce or a green chili verde sauce over them?
Paul

JeffCO

• Using less gas.

Someday I would like to get one of those griddles so I can do my own Mongolian BBQ.

I think this is the toy tool I want next:

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator

I think you could use a red enchilada sauce or a green chili verde sauce.  Butter and thyme is a classic.

Would you SV them, brown them and finish by drizzling red enchilada sauce or a green chili verde sauce over them?

That would certainly be one way and probably pretty tasty. 

I was even thinking that you could add the sauce in and then sous vide and see if it enhanced the meat any.  I know it would mean trying to brown the chicken with a sauce already on it, so you have to be careful of burning, etc.  But again, kind of "browning" the sauce in may help add to the flavor.  Have not tried any of this, so it is all theory on my part.  But, to me, experimenting is half the fun of cooking.  If it turns out bad, there are always scrambled eggs for dinner!!!

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.

I have not tried this method of REVERSE MARINADE but it might be worth a try.  They say better with chicken than beef.  Also some helpful tips on the effects and consequences of doing a marinade.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/reverse-marinade-grilling_l_5d2dd894e4b085eda5a21c60?guccounter=1

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable

I have not tried this method of REVERSE MARINADE but it might be worth a try.  They say better with chicken than beef.  Also some helpful tips on the effects and consequences of doing a marinade.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/reverse-marinade-grilling_l_5d2dd894e4b085eda5a21c60?guccounter=1

Z

Interesting...
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.

IMHO, skinless chicken breasts are like an unused painting canvas===nothing until you paint something on it. We don't cook them very often.  Now, with skin and battered up and deep fried=== a different story.  But then again, it is the crispy crust that tastes good.   :2cents:

pmillen

• Global Moderator

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I’ve compiled a list of cooks to test.  I don’t know how many we’ll work our way through before we tire of chicken.

Chicken Breast Cook Tests

Marinate and Smoke
1.     Slice breast into 1-2″ strips
2.     Marinate in –
     a.     Lawry's Caribbean Jerk Sauce
     b.     Wishbone Italian
     c.     Wishbone Italian with Worcestershire sauce
     d.     Newman's own Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing
     e.     Teriyaki
     f.     Buffalo Wild Wings marinade, available at Walmart–
                                               i.     Asian Zing
                                              ii.     Honey Bbq
                                             iii.     Parmesan Garlic
3.     Smoke at 250° on Frogmats until IT is 160°

Sous Vide
1.     Preheat SV cooker at 148°F
2.     Add butter, salt and pepper with one or more–
     a.     Rosemary
     b.     Tarragon
     c.     Thyme
     d.     Lemon and garlic
3.     Skip step 2.  SV with–
     a.     Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauce
     b.     Wegman’s Rosemary Balsamic Marinade
     c.     John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper
     d.     McCormick’s Tomato/Basil Marinade
     e.     Olde Thompson Tex-Mex Chipotle Seasoning
4.     Cook for 1-3 hours
5.     Brown by pan-frying in ghee
6.     Skip steps 2 & 3 and drizzle with pineapple/habanero sauce

Inject
1.     Preheat SV cooker at 148°F
2.     Inject seasonings of choice mixed with–
     a.     Oil
     b.     Flavored vinegars
3.     SV for 1-3 hours
4.     Brown by pan-frying in ghee
Paul

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator

Sounds like a lot of fun, testing meals in the future for you.  Hope we hear your results and see some pics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up