Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: In Search of Flavorings for Boneless, Skinless, (Tasteless) Chicken Breast  (Read 2844 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry

My money is on the injection technique for flavor...
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck

My money is on the injection technique for flavor...

Really?  That one was kinda' late in the sequence I projected.  Now I'm rethinking it.

Now I have to ask for help in making injections.  I have the device, I've only used it once, on a brisket.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ

Good chicken breast can be difficult to find.  The IQF breast are tasteless in my experience.  The fresh ones at my grocery  stores are grossly oversized and not much better in my opinion. The best I have found are the organic free range ones I get from Sprouts or Whole Foods.  They are very proud of these chickens, but they are the best tasting that I have found so far.  Starting with quality is the only way to end up with a quality product.    Assertive sauces and marinades will help, but they won't make it taste like good chicken.   :2cents: 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry

I just assumed that these thing were being injected...

Now I have to ask for help in making injections.  I have the device, I've only used it once, on a brisket.

a.     Lawry's Caribbean Jerk Sauce
     b.     Wishbone Italian
     c.     Wishbone Italian with Worcestershire sauce
     d.     Newman's own Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing
     e.     Teriyaki
     f.     Buffalo Wild Wings marinade, available at Walmart–
                                               i.     Asian Zing
                                              ii.     Honey Bbq
                                             iii.     Parmesan Garlic
2.     Add butter, salt and pepper with one or more–
     a.     Rosemary
     b.     Tarragon
     c.     Thyme
     d.     Lemon and garlic

a.     Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauce
     b.     Wegman’s Rosemary Balsamic Marinade
     c.     John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper
     d.     McCormick’s Tomato/Basil Marinade
     e.     Olde Thompson Tex-Mex Chipotle Seasoning

pmillen

• Global Moderator

I was thinking that we would marinate the breasts in those or, in some cases, put them in the sealed sous vide bags.

Injecting is probably a good plan.  I just never seem to think about it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry

Rosemary, Tarragon & Thyme are not going through most injector needles...but I assumed you were going to infuse them in the butter and inject that anyway!

I was thinking that we would marinate the breasts in those or, in some cases, put them in the sealed sous vide bags.

Injecting is probably a good plan.  I just never seem to think about it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

Could try rosemary powder.  I have been using that in my wing sauce in place of the leaves lately.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.

Sort of reminds me of the recipe for stuffed wild duck.   :rotf:

MustangBob

• Using less gas.

Marcia and I would like to eat more chicken breasts for health reasons.  But they need added flavor.

If you like fresh lemon and capers, I recommend 'Chicken Piccata.'

There are many recipes online, but for any recipe, I've found it best to cut each breast into 3 parts.  First, cut each breast in half vertically leaving you with a thin half and a thick half. Then cut that thick portion in half horizontally. Now, those 3 pieces are approximately the same thickness, but you can pound them a little bit to get them equal in thickness. Do this with 2 breasts to yield 6 cutlets.

Season the cutlets however you prefer and dredge each cutlet lightly in flour, shake off any excess flour, and saute lightly in a little oil in a skillet just long enough to toast the flour.  Do not try to cook the chicken cutlets through at this point or you risk drying them out.  Remove the lightly browned chicken cutlets and set aside. Do not clean the skillet, which should have some flavorful fond.

In the now empty skillet, add some diced shallots, sliced garlic, oil and saute lightly.  Then deglaze the skillet with a combination of 1/2 cup each of chicken broth and white wine (I use Dry Vermouth for this step).  Add 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, and half of a lemon cut into slices, peel and all.  Return browned chicken cutlets to sauce and simmer gently until chicken reaches desired internal temp.  The flour on the chicken cutlets will help thicken the sauce as they simmer.  Remove chicken to a platter, and stir in some rinsed capers and a glug of butter to the pan sauce. Add chopped herbs of your choice for flavor and brightness and stir.  Spoon lovely pan sauce over cutlets which are waiting on the platter and serve with a smile.

pmillen

• Global Moderator

If you like fresh lemon and capers, I recommend 'Chicken Piccata.'

:)

You took us down a different path but we're addin' it to the list.  Thanks.
Paul

Ralphie

This is an Asian (Chinese maybe?) condiment that I love on just about any meat depending on style of preparation.  Season and/or marinate and grill or roast the meat. Then just spoon it on the meat and eat.

1 bunch scallions chopped, white and light green part
3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 garlic clove finely chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup neutral oil such as canola

Put first four ingredients in non reactive heat resistant bowl and stir (I use a wide mouth pickle jar).
Heat the oil until not quite smoking.
Very carefully poor the hot oil over the ingredients. It will bubble, hiss, and possibly splatter just a bit. I do this in my sink.
Let cool on counter and refrigerate. Keeps for  2 weeks or so according to the recipe I learned it from.
I like to eat it room temp on the first taste when it’s a fresh batch. Then into the fridge.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:51:49 PM by Ralphie »
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator

Chicken Piccata is great.  If you want a little "show" for the plate. slice some lemons very thin and add to the pan when you add the capers.  They warm thru and start to release their juices, but still stay pretty and can be added to the plate as a garnish.

ZCZ

2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

bregent

>If you like fresh lemon and capers, I recommend 'Chicken Piccata.'

Bob, we do it exactly the same, including the vermouth. It's a family favorite.

hughver

• University of Louisiana

One of my favorites for SBCB is crushed Pistachio Crusted cooked on a fairly hot grill to an IT of 140-145°, IT will coast upward.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up