Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instant Read Thermometer  (Read 1137 times)

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Instant Read Thermometer
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzt9pSEpkA

I have a thermapen.  When you buy, I think they might offer a second one at a lower price.

It's been one of few areas where I "spent the extra money" but I know other thermometers have really improved as well.

I don't ever find myself testing ice water but ya, thermapen is quicker.

They could have done a test on chicken breasts at 165 I suppose and I assume reaction times would have been similar.
That was kind of the point of the test.

That test is surely not indicative of the performance of a normal Lavatools Thermawand. I'm not sure if it's rigged or if they just came across a bad one. I've had one for 2 years and just tested it - average of 5 tests:

From 212 to 32 in 3.89 seconds
From 32 to 212 in 4.12 seconds

So the Thermapen might be 1 second faster. Thermoworks products certainly have a better build quality, but for pure performance, it's not worth >3X the price for me.

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 11:40:26 PM »

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzt9pSEpkA

I have a thermapen.  When you buy, I think they might offer a second one at a lower price.

It's been one of few areas where I "spent the extra money" but I know other thermometers have really improved as well.

I don't ever find myself testing ice water but ya, thermapen is quicker.

They could have done a test on chicken breasts at 165 I suppose and I assume reaction times would have been similar.
That was kind of the point of the test.

That test is surely not indicative of the performance of a normal Lavatools Thermawand. I'm not sure if it's rigged or if they just came across a bad one. I've had one for 2 years and just tested it - average of 5 tests:

From 212 to 32 in 3.89 seconds
From 32 to 212 in 4.12 seconds

So the Thermapen might be 1 second faster. Thermoworks products certainly have a better build quality, but for pure performance, it's not worth >3X the price for me.

Agreed!
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »

been using the Lavatools Javelin Pro ever since my beloved Thermapen with its glow in the dark magnetic case got run over by the car, amazing to note it still works great you just can't read the numbers on the shattered screen  :(
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up