Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me be a better BBQ judge  (Read 1490 times)

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Help me be a better BBQ judge
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »

OK, again not really understanding.  For tenderness, you listed 3 characteristics and then said based on those the cook gets a 9.  My response is, those aren't biggies to me, just minor factors.  I need to bite and chew.  So I don't know that I can help you any further unless you also agre that you should not be giving a 9 based on those 3 factors.  I am just a bit confused as to your state of mind right now.
Kristin, thanks for the input to my post. Some of the other variables I took for granted but left out. The brisket should have good texture be moist and not mushy with nice bite.

If I think an entry is just "there" -- ok on seasoning, but not standing out, ok balance of flavors but nothing again is making me want to take a 3rd, 4th and 5th bite, not dry, but not really mmoist, then I give a 6 and tell them just that -- you entry was ok, but I did not want to eat more because X,Y and Z.
This pretty much sums up what score I want to give a entry like this. I will make sure I list all variables that caused a score of 6 or less. Do you feel judge comments card is needed then something obvious as a burnt entry.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 12:20:55 PM by Bentley »

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 08:45:37 PM »

This pretty much sums up what score I want to give a entry like this. I will make sure I list all variables that caused a score of 6 or less. Do you feel judge comments card is needed then something obvious as a burnt entry.

Comment cards aren't mandatory. I don't always do a comment card but I do believe some cooks want to know why you gave it that score. Now of course if the entry is burnt I would hope the cook would know when turning in the box it will be a low score. I personally have done comment cards for both low and high scores. The goal of the comment card is to let the cook know why you gave the entry that score.

Now when I Table Captain one of my duties is to verify the comment cards match the score sheet AND to make sure the comments are actually valuable. Comments like "chicken tastes like dog #%##" isn't a valuable comment. I know most of the reps will toss out that comment card.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Fat Freddy

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »

Comment cards arent all that helpful either. Only contest I ever got comment cards at did not match my scores. I brought it to the reps attention( currently on the KCBS board of directors) and the rep didnt think it was all that big a deal that my comment cards did not match my scores in 2 different categories. Was a miserable event for us anyways and the scores on comment cards wouldnt have done much for us but was the beginning of the end for us doing competitions.

triplebq

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 11:47:52 PM »

Your comment card scores didn't match? And the Rep didn't think it was that big of a deal. Hmm not sure what to tell you. Clearly this isn't common as if it was I'm sure there wouldn't be any comment cards at any events. I hope you reported this to KCBS.

Part of the Table Captain's duty is to check the comment card scores. Also when the reps hand out the comment cards they should also check them. I know if I was a cook I would want to know why a cook gave me a certain score.

BC Buck

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 06:25:53 AM »

Part of the Table Captain's duty is to check the comment card scores. Also when the reps hand out the comment cards they should also check them. I know if I was a cook I would want to know why a cook gave me a certain score.
Im going to fill out a comment card for all entry's. I hate to see teams put that much time, effort, and money into a cook without any feedback.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 07:25:03 AM »

I give a comment card for something that I graded down so the cook knows what I was thinking -- too salty, too dry, tough, chewy, etc.  tHE PROBLEM COMES IN WHAT i THINK IS TOO SALTY bENT THINK IS JUST RIGHT, ETC.  sO MANY VARIABLES WHEN DEALING WITH 6 JUDGES THAT I DO HAVE TO AGREe THAT i HAVE NOT FOUND THEM USEFUL AS A COOK. (sorry hit the caps button and not going to re-typ).

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 12:36:32 PM »

I am curious why you use a measured thickness for a brisket slice?  My assumption is somewhere you have heard this is an established or required size?

So if I enter chopped Brisket (or even a slice larger or smaller then your perceived correct size), can I assume you are immediately going to judge it down?  With chopped there is no way to use your established guideline to determine tenderness?

To thy own self be True...

As soon as the mold is broken, I may think about competing again...

Lets practice for my help. Where all at the same table and entry's brisket looks really nice so we score it a 9. We pick it up and 3/16" slice bends 180 degrees and snap test is perfect scoring tenderness of 9. You taste and a little bland with a roast beef flavor. I would like to give a score of 6 (average). What do you guys think?

10)

The following rules, regulations and
judging procedures will be used at all
KCBS Sanctioned Contests effective
December 31, 2019

16) Each contestant must submit at least six (6) portions of meat
in an approved container. Chicken, pork and brisket may be
submitted chopped, pulled, sliced, or diced as the cook sees
fit
, as long as there is enough for six (6) judges.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 12:39:48 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

triplebq

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 03:06:51 PM »

I am curious why you use a measured thickness for a brisket slice?  My assumption is somewhere you have heard this is an established or required size?

So if I enter chopped Brisket (or even a slice larger or smaller then your perceived correct size), can I assume you are immediately going to judge it down?  With chopped there is no way to use your established guideline to determine tenderness?

One of the best Brisket entries I ever had was chopped brisket.

triplebq

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 03:12:02 PM »

I give a comment card for something that I graded down so the cook knows what I was thinking -- too salty, too dry, tough, chewy, etc.  tHE PROBLEM COMES IN WHAT i THINK IS TOO SALTY bENT THINK IS JUST RIGHT, ETC.  sO MANY VARIABLES WHEN DEALING WITH 6 JUDGES THAT I DO HAVE TO AGREe THAT i HAVE NOT FOUND THEM USEFUL AS A COOK. (sorry hit the caps button and not going to re-typ).

The good part is as a cook you can omit the comment cards.

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2019, 05:21:26 PM »

I'm like you Kristin,
I have 28 or 29 under my belt and don't know if I'll go for the magical 30.

At tables that I sit on, every entry is either 7 - 8- or a 9.
Boring.
All the judges pretty much stay in that arena.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 06:27:13 PM »

I was looking at the rules for judging certification.  I realized that I was not allowed to judged as a CBJ if my KCBS Membership was not current, but I see they have now made a rule that if your membership has been dormant for more then 18 months, you have to renew KCBS membership and attend a CBJ course.  So I am no longer a MCBJ, so disregard all I have to say about judging as I am simple a man on the street when it comes to judging competition BBQ.

Never is a long time, but I don't ever see myself paying to take a CBJ course again, so my KCBS judging day are over I guess!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:28:47 PM by Bentley »

BC Buck

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »

10)

The following rules, regulations and
judging procedures will be used at all
KCBS Sanctioned Contests effective
December 31, 2019

16) Each contestant must submit at least six (6) portions of meat
in an approved container. Chicken, pork and brisket may be
submitted chopped, pulled, sliced, or diced as the cook sees
fit
, as long as there is enough for six (6) judges.

In class they taught the slices should be thickness of #2 pencil for correct bend and pull test. I used the 3/16" reference because the younger generation might not know what a #2 pencil is. Yes they still teach that your only judging what is in the box but some judges might wonder why chop, like a chicken thigh I had with no skin.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »

So the slice should be what KCBS says instead of what I want to turn in as the competitor...Know wonder I scratched my head for the last few years I competed.

triplebq

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »

Sorry never was told/taught that a brisket slice has to be a certain thickness. Especially given one doesn't have to turn in slice brisket. One can turn in pulled brisket or just burnt ends if they want.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up