Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Party Planning  (Read 2900 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Re: Christmas Party Planning
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 09:22:40 PM »

This is one of my favorite threads.  I sometimes re-read it, just for the enjoyment.  It so exemplifies the PF members' good natures and culinary skills.
This is a fun one.  I've gone the opposite route.  I'm more inclined to post AFTER the successful planning process.  It's stressful enough with family and friends, let alone all of PF land knowing I messed up my planning  :P

I do enjoy the big hosting events, good luck jdmessner.  Be sure to have someone taking pictures!

DK

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I like being able to post as I go because as I mentioned earlier, you folks have now become my accountability group! There is a certain level of commitment to do something once you post it. The tips, feedback, and suggestions I have received have really helped make this years efforts a lot more manageable. I figure this is a pretty forgiving crowd, so you might as well see the good, the bad, and the ugly! if I goof up I figure that is all part of the story.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 09:37:04 PM »

Thanks for sharing with us.  Looking forward to pics of the finished product.  Also, would like to hear some feedback you get from the guests.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 02:37:34 AM »

Last night I smoked the chicken, salmon, peppers, and onions.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

The theme this year is Angels. These are some of the decorations my wife has been working on.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

She made a bunch of these angels out of Hershey's Kisses.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

I also found her dessert list. Will post pictures and more info as it becomes available.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »

You both go to a lot of effort to create a lovely party.  I bet your guests feel very special!

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 07:56:37 AM »

That is a major endeavor and you and your helpers are quite generous to do such a great thing for others.
In the True spirit of Christmas.
Very nicely done.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2019, 02:28:08 AM »

Getting close. Last night stuffed 8 pork tenderloins with spinach; apples; a mixture of sauteed onions, mushrooms, and pesto; goat cheese and sundried tomatoes.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Also, rolled the beef with cream cheese and smoked peppers and onions. Realized I didn't need to spread the cream cheese, so I just chunked it and rolled it. Seared it and will just need to heat it tomorrow.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

My wife's cake is rather unique. It has an egg nog cheese cake in the center.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2019, 04:36:56 AM »

Holy smokes you are doing fantastic job. You just might get upstaged with the beautiful cake. Yum!

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2019, 07:28:36 AM »

Wow, amazing.  It is going to be a great party.  Thanks for taking the time (like you have much of it) to share with all of us.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2019, 08:03:52 AM »

Where is it that the party is being hosted and that you have been doing work all week?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2019, 08:04:30 AM »

If your wife would share, I would love for you to post the eggnog cheesecake in the recipe section.  It sounds wonderful!!!!

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »

Where is it that the party is being hosted and that you have been doing work all week?

The party is being hosted at our church, which is also where I work, so there is some flexibility! I serve two churches and the dinner is open both congregations, as well as other friends we have met along the way. This also includes people we work with in various capacities  (Lions Club, food pantry board, even a few folks I've gotten to know at the gym). It is fun to do, but each year I am reminded why we only do it once a year!!

Last night while I was in the kitchen, others were handing out hams to 60 families for Christmas. A thank you goes to Boarshead in Holland, MI for donating many of the hams.

Time to get busy! Will keep you posted on the results. Someone said earlier to have someone take pictures. That is a great idea. Every year I think I will get lots of pictures, but I get too busy and don't get very many and the ones I do aren't that great because I am in a hurry.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2019, 12:13:18 PM »

Will the beef rolls be served warm, or are they a room temperature type finger food?
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »

JD,
You are a class act.
I am honored to have been be invited to this occasion and lament over the fact that I will not be in attendance. (A sad story)
But I look forward to us having another "halfway" breakfast together very soon.
Merry Christmas.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2019, 12:37:39 AM »

JD,
You are a class act.
I am honored to have been be invited to this occasion and lament over the fact that I will not be in attendance. (A sad story)
But I look forward to us having another "halfway" breakfast together very soon.
Merry Christmas.

Sorry you could not make it, it would have been nice to have had you there. I hope we can touch base soon.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2019, 02:00:58 AM »

We made it!! A few bumps along the way, but overall things went well. We had around 80 people attend. The comments were positive and I think they appreciated it. My daughter played piano while people were eating appetizers and another friend played and sang Christmas carols during dessert. It was a fun night, but I don't think I could do it more than once a year!

I decided to change the chicken dish a couple of days ago. Opted to do a spinach pie with filo dough. That proved to be a good move.

The pork dish ended up being a bit of a challenge. I have a small grill at home that decided would be easier to use rather than pulling out the large one at the church. Once I got the tenderloins set up I went back to work on the rest of the food and my wife would pull them off the grill and bring them with her around 4 p.m. I got a call at 4:45. She said she went out to get the mail and noticed something smelled really good. She wondered who was BBQing, and then said, "I realized it was me!"

The bottom halves were quite charred. The top part was a bit dried out, but tasted really good. The stuffing was excellent. With just a little over an hour to go before people were going to be there (and a few already showing up early), I had to try and come up with Plan B to figure out how or if I was going to serve the tenderloins and stuffing.

I started out by having someone go get some apple juice. I then began cutting away the black and separating the filling. Using a small scoop, I made small balls of the filling and baked them for about 15 minutes to try and firm them up a bit. Then I put them in a chaffing dish to serve them on the side with the meat.

By now I was on to plan C or D to try and figure out how to serve the meat. I ended up cutting the meat into small strips and then submerged the meat into the apple juice, covered it tightly, and placed it in the oven to try and create some steam. It worked. The meat turned out great and most people never realized it was supposed to have been served differently.

I will post pictures tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up