Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Ideas for Simple Chicken Dishes for a Crowd  (Read 1093 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Some Ideas for Simple Chicken Dishes for a Crowd
« on: December 10, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »

I am looking for ideas/recipes which use chicken breasts in a somewhat creative way, but still simple and that can be made to feed about 25 to 30 people.

The Culpeper area churches have banned together for about 3 years to run a "heat shelter" for homeless folks from Dec. 1 through Mar 31.  People can come in at 5:30 pm, have a hot dinner and a warm bed for the night, and then get breakfast in the morning.  There are about 24 churches which volunteer to cover a one week period.  During that week they do the cooking.  Bent and I offered to help because they sometimes have nights when a church has not been able to find a member to cook.

We are cooking dinner next Sun and Tues night.  We went tonight to check out the kitchen, etc and found they have a pantry where various canned and dried food have been donated.  They also have a freezer with meats, although the selection is limited.  Apparently they get a LOT of chicken breasts donated by the local Chik-fil-A and asked if we could help use some up.  They get regular and pre-marinaded "spicy" chicken breass which they claim are very spicy.  I have never had Chik-fil-A spicy chicken, so I brought a small amount home to try out and see what I think of the spice level.

They indicated they get a lot of baked chicken and chicken casseroles, so I am trying to think of some other types of dishes to make with chicken.  We need to be able to serve 25 to 30 people.  We need to cook here at home and transport about 20 minutes across town.  They have a nice oven which we can use to reheat. We will dish up plates.

Bent wants to do meat loaf, mashed potatoes and corn on Sunday with gravy and rolls.  I understand that the folks will be having chicken casserole, baked chicken and maybe one other night of chicken in the days leading up to Sunday, so I am sure his meatloaf will be a nice change and big hit.  I want to use their chicken for Tuesday.

I thought of chicken and dumpings, but it may be a little bland and a lot like chicken casserole.  I am thinking about a simple chicken cacciatore (not too much garlic!).  If the spicy chicken isn't too spicy, I may in the future be able to make chicken enchilladas (or a chicken enchillada casserole).

Do you all have any other ideas which would allow me to use the chicken but maybe in a more creative way than a casserole or chicken pot pie?  Thanks for any help!

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Some Ideas for Simple Chicken Dishes for a Crowd
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 08:12:20 PM »

These are good pretty simple to make, we have made Dill chicken ones also.

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/recipes/buffalo-chicken-fritters/

I make chunked up chicken and brown rice in he pressure cooker. Some fajita seasoning and when i is done stir in some salsa, top with cheese and sour cream if you like.

Could always do shredded chicken bbq sammies.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 09:02:35 PM »

Do they allow make your own chicken tacos/fajitas?

How about chicken, gravy, and biscuits?  Chicken and waffles?

Chicken parm
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 09:23:25 PM »

We need to make it and serve it.  Kristin is thinking parm also.  Chicken and waffles would be great, just not sure how well they would go having to be cook all at once and then kept warm and used!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:25:13 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

ofelles

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 12:13:43 AM »

How about a BIG pot of chicken noodle soup.
Yoder YS640
LSG 48" Santa Maria Grill
LSG Insulated Cabinet Smoker

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 12:58:01 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ] .Wasn't sure you wanted casserole recipes or not but just in case.   This is probably my favorite chicken casserole recipe my wife makes.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

glitchy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 01:19:08 AM »

My wife, who will readily admit does not cook much, has a crock pot Mexican style chicken and rice dish that might work with the spicy chicken. Basically, she cooks the chicken with Rotel or salsa then about and hour before it’s time to eat shreds the chicken, mixes in cooked rice and covers in cheddar and pepper jack cheese. We all like it, my daughter who thinks anything spicier than black pepper is too much never mentions heat and I put a decent amount of hot sauce on it. I think it would travel well and hold well and the spicy chicken might kick it up just about right if their spices works flavor wise. Let me know if your interested and I’ll get you the recipe. Plus people could add sour cream to know it down a bit.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

smokindad

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 08:21:41 AM »

I was thinking of a Malibu Chicken Recipe.  Chicken, a slice of ham and swiss cheese.  It can be served with a sauce (hollandaise) that lends itself to preparing ahead of time.

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 08:28:42 AM »

I was thinking of a Malibu Chicken Recipe.  Chicken, a slice of ham and swiss cheese.  It can be served with a sauce (hollandaise) that lends itself to preparing ahead of time.
I used to love Sizzler, there were common in California.
Are they still around?
The toast they had and the salad bar used to be really good.

dk117

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »

Could always do shredded chicken bbq sammies.
I'm liking this smoked then crock pot shredded chicken sliders idea.  It's not culinary sophistication, but it's good eating and scalable. 

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2024 Napoleon Phantom 500 Prestige

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »

Have you considered shredded chicken sandwiches? It seems to only really be popular in certain areas of Ohio, but it is something I grew up with and love. You cook chicken breasts and shred the meat and mix it with the condensed cream of mushroom soup. You add a little black pepper and then we always just crunched up plain potato chips into it as sort of a filler that gives it the right consistency. It is normally served on a hamburger bun. I would have it all the time at church picnics or the local seasonally open ice cream places would always typically have it as one of their hot meal options. It holds super well in a crockpot and is easy to scale in volume. I am from the Mansfield area of Ohio and it was well known there, but my wife who is from NE Ohio near Pennsylvania had never heard of it.
Mak 2 Star General #1799
Pages: [1]   Go Up