Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pit Beef  (Read 823 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Pit Beef
« on: December 21, 2019, 09:55:34 AM »

I am looking for a good recipe for Baltimore style Pit Beef
Thanks

hughver

• University of Louisiana
Re: Pit Beef
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 10:31:58 AM »

Having never heard of Baltimore Pit Beef, I did a search to see what it was. Meathead over on Amazing Ribs has what appears to be a good recipe. Seems like a good inexpensive thing to try on a pellet grill.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 10:40:15 AM »

I made it a few times about 10 years ago after seeing it on a Steve Reichlen show.  Not as good as taking a rib roast, smoking a few hours, sous vide, and then slicing for sandwiches.  The char on the outside of the Pit Beef does give it a unique flavor and texture though.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »

It is Pit cooked, so you have to determine what that means.  To me it lends itself to a pellet unit, slow roasted in pit, then sliced thin and served on white bread or roll.  A great sandwich, but just another take on a roast beef sandwich for me.

Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 04:52:13 PM »

It is Pit cooked, so you have to determine what that means.  To me it lends itself to a pellet unit, slow roasted in pit, then sliced thin and served on white bread or roll.  A great sandwich, but just another take on a roast beef sandwich for me.

Nope.  It is cooked over higher heat than slow roasted.  It basically gets an outside crust and hit a certain internal IT and is pulled off and sliced at probably close to medium rare temps.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »

I knew about the grilling, what it came down to was it was usually cooked over wood coals of some kind.  I still think most pellet units are capable of both.  I still think it is more roasted then grilled like a Santa Maria Tri-tip...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »

I knew about the grilling, what it came down to was it was usually cooked over wood coals of some kind.  I still think most pellet units are capable of both.  I still think it is more roasted then grilled like a Santa Maria Tri-tip...

I may very well be wrong on this but my memory of when I made it according to the Reichlen method was to cook on high heat turning to get a char on all sides until it hit a medium rare internal temp.  Not to say a pellet grill could not do that, but I don't think it was roasted at a temp of 350.  I think it was get the grill over 500 degrees and turn until all sides were charred and IT was medium rare.  Like I said earlier, I could very well be wrong about this too.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 09:35:59 PM »

What I have learned is there is 50 ways to do everything and about the same amount of names for a roast beef sandwich!

urnmor

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 08:13:24 AM »

What I have learned is there is 50 ways to do everything and about the same amount of names for a roast beef sandwich!

I definitely agree I do not ever think I have seen a recipe made the same way.  I guess because if there was only one way then there would be no need for all the cookbooks
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:01:35 PM by Bentley »
Pages: [1]   Go Up